The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Video/DVD on Card Manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkusC
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of MarkusC
I’m not a big fan of cards, but I would like to be able to do a few card flourishes and some sleight of hand. I was thinking about

McBride, Jeff - Art of Card Manipulation Volume 1 DVD

since I’ve got

McBride, Jeff - World Class Manipulation Volume 1

and found it worthwhile, but maybe there is something someone can recommend (preferably on DVD).
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
I have volume 1 of Jeff McBride's and I have to say that you should really get an overview from someone of what each video covers before you buy it. I bought the first volume of his DVD set because I too am somewhat interested in card flourishes. However, this first volume does not really contain much in the way of actual flourishes. It contains more on card productions than anything else. Like showing your hand empty and then producing cards from nowhere. I'm fairly positive that the two other volumes contain more flourishes than the first.

So my recommendation, for what it sounds like you're interested in, are volumes 2 and 3 of Jeff McBride's Card Manipulation series. Or perhaps some of the other resources out there on card flourishes. Smile
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
http://www.mallusionist.com
AznSAmagic
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
93 Posts

Profile of AznSAmagic
The Art Of Card Manipulation #2 has more flourishes, like fans and so on. Might want to give that a try.
Cerca Trova
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Besides productions, the Art of Card Manipulation McBride videos have...

Volume One:
Thumb Fan
Closing A fan
Charlier Cut
One Handed Fan
S Fan
Wink Change
Springing the cards
Waterfall Shuffle
Cards From the mouth
Riffle Palm
Blank Fan
Window Change
Ed Marlo Snap Change
Le Paul Spread
Hip Hop Pop out
Ribbon Spread and Turnover
Twin Peaks
D'Amico Multiple Shift
Roy Benson Move
Steve Beam's Auto Magic Aces
Goldston's Card Flower

Volume Two:
Preparing the cards
Gloves and cards
Body loads and steals
Flying Cards
Arm spreads, turnovers and catches
Cardini's Bluff Spring - Waterfall fan
Color Fanning - Color Changing Fan
Bluff Spread - Fanning Deacks
Double Fan - Splitting the fans
Rising Sun Fan
One Handed Circular Fan
Slow Motion Fans
4 ways to fan a fanning deck
Giant Fan
and lots more...

Volume Three:
One handed Shuffle
Triple Cut
Paul Draylin Cut
Butterfly Cut
Curly Q Move
Auto Cut
Rolo - deck
Boomerang Card
Card Spinning
Diminishing Cards
History of Playing cards

This is straight from the table of contents of the videos. This list does NOT include the vast amount of production/vanish items on his videos. I would suggest getting the whole series, in my honest opinion, I think they're completely worth the investment.

-jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
MarkusC
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of MarkusC
Someone on this forum said that McBride's videos are geared more towards stage magic than close-up. Is there any consensus on this?
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Markus,

There are quite a few items on these videos which can be used close up. The flourishes and color changes easily fall in this category. Some of the card productions and vanishes can be performed fairly close up, but most benefit from distance between the performer and audience and the angle control this distance affords. And I think you'll find most people in agreement on this.

Paul M.
TonyTax
View Profile
New user
Surrey, UK
16 Posts

Profile of TonyTax
If you are after something to teach you basic card sleights, I found Richard Kaufman's video, "Basic Card Technique" very good. I do not know if this is available on DVD though.

This video will teach you most of the basic sleights you will probably ever need to know.

If you want to go for the flourishes, then the McBride DVDs will be hard to beat.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.(Albert Szent-Gyorgy.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Video/DVD on Card Manipulation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL