The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IPod problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Hello,
I have had the iPod photo for a little over 6 months now, and recently the quality has been bad when I turn up the volume on it when It is hooked up to my sound system (it works fine with headphones).

I called Apple about this and they told me 'the iPod isn't really designed to be used like that' so right now I do not know what to do.
Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks, Sam Pearce
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
If you're playing an iPod through external speakers, it's best if your external source has a volume control as well.

Don't put the iPod's volume any higher than about 75-80% Then adjust your volume from there.

I noticed this using a smal FM transmitter with the iPod in the car. If you crank up the iPod's internal volume all the way, you'll get some nasty overmodulation.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Are you taking your output from the headphone jack on top, or from the proprietary connector on the bottom?

The headphone output on top won't give you very good sound when using it into a line-in on a PA because it's coming from a small headphone amp. Amplifier-out to a pre-amp-in is never a good idea when audio quality is your concern.

A better solution is the proprietary connector on the bottom or the iPod to a standard line-out RCA. Apple offers this item as part of an accessory kit.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I use my iPod on a Fender PD-150 with a cable from the headphone jack into the stereo input. I've been getting excellent sound so long as I keep the volume setting around 80%-85%. It begins to get a little fuzzy if I crank it up too much. I use a wireless RF remote which permits me to adjust the sound volume on the fly. I have the remote attached to a retractable belt clip.

Dan.
Gregory The Great
View Profile
New user
Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Gregory The Great
You are right. The volume needs to be set on the iPod then you can play with your sound board.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Has anyone used another mp3 player other than an IPod?
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Bought a 30GB Ipod Today.

Don't have a clue how to use it but I like its possiblities.
Dennis Michael
Colin Uk
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Colin Uk
Has anyone used another mp3 player other than an IPod?

Yes.

I have been using Kerry's MP3 Tech since August.

I love it...It's brilliant.

Only 2 connections power (6v) and line out the PA.

Diffent cards for diffent shows.

Everthing is set up on pc, then just copy and pate on the card.
No more recording in real time.

Sound quilty is as good as minidisc and with the sound levels the same on all tracks.
This is something I could not acheive using mini disc.

I like my set up quick and easy, no moveing parts and no ultra small screens to view in semi darkness.

Colin
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I started using the Ipod recently and love it. Kevin is right, use your sound system's volume controls to really turn up the volume with the Ipod's volume in the 70% to 80% range.

Now I'm looking at purchasing a virtual soundman so I can control the Ipod remotely. Just have to save my pennies.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IPod problems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL