The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bullet Catch Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Whats the point? sooner or later everyone is going to know that you can't really catch bullets, there is no mystery to it, there isn't a way you can make it into a story, it is just STUPID!
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
And you have to heighten the risk factor to ensure suspense.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
thefifth
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thefifth
I disagree with lay people not believing that a bullet is actually fired. Penn and Teller's Bullet Catch is one of my favorite illusions and I show the video to anyone that will watch. Not one of the people I have showed it to has made the connection that the bullets had to be switched, and I always ask what they think. The glass does an effective job of proving the bullet is actually fired through the air. Now of course this is just my informal survey, but I do believe that a lot of the audience buys into it.
[email]info@williampenix.com[/email]
www.williampenix.com
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2007-10-02 10:16, ibm_usa wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-01 19:15, nucinud wrote:
11 years ago I got to load one of the guns for Penn for the double bullet catch.
It is a very dangerous illusion. But Penn and Teller are not stupid, they do it right.

If they are smart as they say they are Penn and Teller would stop! They are lucky to be alive even after their first practice, the more you do it the more your pushing your luck.

The method they use is fool proof.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2007-10-02 21:56, nucinud wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-01 19:15, nucinud wrote:
11 years ago I got to load one of the guns for Penn for the double bullet catch.
It is a very dangerous illusion. But Penn and Teller are not stupid, they do it right.

If they are smart as they say they are Penn and Teller would stop! They are lucky to be alive even after their first practice, the more you do it the more your pushing your luck.

The method they use is fool proof.

... until the universe builds a better fool!

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
But my point is, do you feel Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, and Matt Damon are stupid and irresponsible, too, and would stop if they are smart? IF you don't feel that way about them, it's insulting to say that about Penn and Teller. Magicians and their teams can be just as skilled as the film industry.

Quote:

Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Joshua, Does Matt Damon stand in front of a gun every night? No. Was Brandon Lee stupid & irresponsible? No. Just the special effects technician or perhaps Michael Massee was, but that's another thread.

I'm not arguing your point. I agree experts & professionals routinely do their jobs correctly. However, if the possibility exists that something CAN go wrong, then simple probability & statistics say each time you do something brings you closer to it happening. My wife's life is put in jeopardy every single show...we minimize the danger, but there are still things than can happen & have.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Interesting note with this, "blanks" can kill. Back in the 80s, a TV star found that out the hard way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Mike
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
So much of the rotuine has to be built around the fact that eliminating a switch of bullets can occur, setting up proofs etc. One of the biggest reasons for the believeability of the rouine is the fact that people have been killed, if the bullets were never fired, how did they die? This question set up in peoples mind can suggest to an audience that perhaps people are stupid enough to attempt it.
PirateJohn
View Profile
Regular user
Anaheim, CA
156 Posts

Profile of PirateJohn
Quote:
On 2007-10-04 22:35, MCM wrote:
Interesting note with this, "blanks" can kill. Back in the 80s, a TV star found that out the hard way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Mike

Absolutely. I used to work at Disneyland on the S.S. Columbia, where part of my job responsibilities entailed firing the cannon during the trip. The cannon is a modified twelve-gauge shotgun and the blanks we fired were half shells. We'd constantly have to keep guests away from the thing because they'd have a hard time believing that, yes, it is a real cannon and, yes, it can be lethal.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bullet Catch Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL