The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New to Grand Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofoz228
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of wizardofoz228
Hi all,

I've been a magician for a while now but I have never really gotten into stage illusions until recently. Wondering if anyone out there can help me out by recommending some videos or maybe books that a beginner stage illusionist should get. Thanks in advance.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a two volume set of books by Byron G. Wels. The title is The Great Illusions of Magic. One volume is plans; the other is text. It may well be the cheapest way to start looking. I think Tannen's is the publisher.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Dunningers complete encyclopedia of magic covers a lot of the older ones, Mark Wilson has a 3 video series on illusions, many of which you can build inexpensively. And all the above recommended are excellent as well.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
And for the beginner I would highly recommend Gary Darwins Book: Inexpensive Illusions. This allows you to dip into larger scale illusions without spending a fortune.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
And there's always "PVC Pipe Illusions for the REALLY, REALLY Cheap Illusionist" by yours truly on The Magic Nook website. Just thought I'd mention it before you spend a lot of money. If you're truly a Whiz of a Wiz, you ought to know about The Wizards' Journal on the same site, with Illusions geared towards Wizards.
The GodFather
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of The GodFather
A grand illusionist is a stage magician who uses bigger props. Stage magicians and illusionists both work with music so they have to express themselves through body lanquage.

I believe the best you can do is to search at your local library for books regarding theater. I am sure you will find several books which can help you on how to move on stage, how things work in a theater environment, what you have to know regarding accidents on stage etc.

A great book is: "Magic & Showmanship by Henning Nelms." It has very valuable information.

My best advice regarding this topic is to read these books many times so you absorb all the information because this knowlege makes the difference on stage.

"Knowing a trick is something. Doing it is another thing. Performing it is everything" -The GodFather
"My goal is to spread around happiness and entertainment, by erasing the illusion of time and live in eternity "

The GodFather Magician
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It looks like people here have you off to a good start. Remember that it's not the 88 keys on the piano; it's how you make people feel when you use them.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
You deffinately need a sub trunk. what do you have allready and do you have an assistant that you can use?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New to Grand Illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL