The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Weird Audience Explanations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Hi, gang --

Last week I had a gig in a small club. I did my usual set -- some card guessing, spoon bending, a blindfold routine, and a 3-envelope test. Maybe not the most thrillingly original set, but it works for me and the audience.

A couple of days later, a few people who were at the show posted some comments on a blog. One comments on the guy in the black sweatshirt, sitting in back and feeding me information, and another refers to my hidden radio earpiece, and how he wishes he didn't know that's how it all worked.

Well, needless to say, if there was a guy in a black sweatshirt sitting in back, he wasn't with me, and I don't have any hidden radio earpiece. But of course these folks seem convinced that they have found me out! It's a weird kind of funny, and part of me isn't sure what to make of this at all.

I'm sure this is not a unique experience. I was just wondering what kinds of episodes others have had along these lines; I'm sure there must be some really great anecdotes out there!

Let's hear 'em!

With all good thoughts,

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Rory
The Piddingtons reveled in the controversy that they encountered. It fueled(SP) their show. Each new show defied the accusations about the one before.
Sounds like that would work for you.....?????
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Good point, Slim. Thanks.

So, what's the weirdest "explanation" you ever got for something you did?

R
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
mike89
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mike89
I've been accused of using hidden cameras and mirrors in IMPOSSIBLE situations. And this is while I'm performing street magic!
"I believe the human race and fish can co-exist peacefully" -GEORGE W. BUSH
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Why not read the blog at your next show, and then show the audience why that couldn't be true.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
I'm already planning to do just that -- and bring a little flashlight and let them check out my ears. Could get a few minutes of amusing business out of it.

R
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
Rory, this happens one-on-one too. For example, last week I did an invisible deck trick on a relative of mine, & he refused to be impressed claiming it was obvious I was merely funneling the information through the carpet.

We'll all really have to worry though, when our audience refuses to be impressed stating - "It was obvious - you were merely reading my mind."

Pasq.
Sparrow in a barrow.
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
Alas some audiences will not except they cannot find the solution, I remeber being asked if I knew how David C vanished the statue of liberty to which I responded pretty much. The spectator asked how? I said It is not for me to say, besides it would ruin what was a great illusion even if you saw it live.

Thinking that would close the debate the spectator then said you say that because you don't know..

I smiled and didn't take his pathetic bate.

I have had people say that when I do my blindfold routine that someoen in the room is telling me everything via YOU guessed it an ear piece..

I think of late some psychic busting shows on tv have mentioned ear pieces and thus we are tarred with the easiest explanation from their stand point, I agree with the chap who said bring this up at your next performance and get rid of that thought once and for all.

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I had a woman that was sure I had a special chemical on my hands. She would not take no for an answer until she sniffed and then licked my hand... Come to think of it, she just may have been kinky.... I feel so used!
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Andrew,

You may want to ask yourself why you told the guy in the first place that you "pretty much" knew how it was done. I ALWAYS tell people I don't know how it is done, and I don't know if it even CAN be done, when I watch another magician.

In other words Andrew, perhaps you already took the bait when you allowed the person to bring you into a conversation about method in the first place. By saying you know how it was done, you kind of fell into the spectator's unconscious trap of getting you to acknowledge that a method exists and is known by other magi. That makes him feel more comfortable, but I really think it does a disservice to the art.

Quote:
On 2006-02-04 12:35, Andrew Richmond wrote:
Alas some audiences will not except they cannot find the solution, I remeber being asked if I knew how David C vanished the statue of liberty to which I responded pretty much. The spectator asked how? I said It is not for me to say, besides it would ruin what was a great illusion even if you saw it live.

Thinking that would close the debate the spectator then said you say that because you don't know..

I smiled and didn't take his pathetic bate.

I have had people say that when I do my blindfold routine that someoen in the room is telling me everything via YOU guessed it an ear piece..

I think of late some psychic busting shows on tv have mentioned ear pieces and thus we are tarred with the easiest explanation from their stand point, I agree with the chap who said bring this up at your next performance and get rid of that thought once and for all.

A.R.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I did a back to back picture duplication. The girl swore that I felt what she was writing with the muscles in my back.. No ****!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magic and Drums
View Profile
New user
Germany
46 Posts

Profile of Magic and Drums
I did Osterlind's Corinda Effect with BCS for some friends and one of my music teachers. My teacher sat on the left of the spectator who did all the work. This teacher also examined the deck of cards after the effect. And still, one week later he told me he knew how it was done. It must have been a deck of double-facers...

Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Weird Audience Explanations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL