The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove care Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I have to out of town for a couple of nights. I would like to know if my dove, in a freshly cleaned cage w/ clan water and food, can survive for 72 hours. Any one ever done this before? Please no yelling by animal lovers. I am asking this question because I am concerned.

Thanks,
B
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
72 hours is a long time but not critical although I wouldn't do it personally. If the 72 hours includes the first day you are gone, then you are really only talking about 48 hours. The first day, they'll have food and water like normal. The food isn't as important as the water. You may want to think about a larger container if possible. A trick I use when shipping doves is to put a small sponge or papertowel in the bottom of the container. When the water is gone, they will peck at the sponge for moisture.

I'd really consider trying to find someone you trust to come in on the 2nd or 3rd day just to check.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is one of the reasons for having the right housekeeper!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey Bob, I can't trust those maids, they might tell the doves what they are really there for Smile

B, I would go with what Dave said. If you absolutaly can't, I'm sure a nice big water bowl would help. Go to your local Petsmart, or Petco, and buy a large reptile water bowl. They are modeled after hallowed out stones and things like that. They aren't too deep, but they are long and that will help preserve the water. The fear of drowning isn't really a big problem, after all, they can fly.

One problem with that situation is they will bathe in the water, and it will become dirty very fast.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-02-04 15:00, JustinDavid wrote:
Hey Bob, I can't trust those maids; they might tell the doves what they are really there for Smile

It can be very disappointing to return home from the road and ask, "Did you feed my doves?" And then to have them reply, "To what?"

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Quote:
It can be very disappointing to return home from the road and ask, "Did you feed my doves?" And then to have them reply, "To what?"

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

:rotf: Smile Smile Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Or asking, "How were my doves"....

and they reply, "Tasty."

Take care,

Bryan
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I live in rural PA. At a wedding I attended, there was a dove release. They were homing doves, and had to fly 100 miles to get back to the trainer's home. We decided they'd never make it, with all the shotgun blasts we were sure to hear before they got out of town.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
"Hey Billy - Bob.. them ducks is flyin overhead again.. let's get us some din din."

"They ain't no ducks Sammy boy.. these all white."

"Nuh uh.. they white and red."

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Dave Scribner is right doves can go with out food for a few days, but not water.
Back in the days my doves would poop in the water cup in their cage, then one day I read that doves can drink out of a hamster's type bottle. So I did that and never have to change the water until they finish it. I always give them the good spring water and not tap water, but that’s me :o)

http://www.iammaro.com/doves.html
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks Mario that's good to know. How long did it take for the doves to get used to getting water this way? To solve the 'poop in the water cup' problem I installed a bird water feeder on the side of the cage. It usually lasts about 3 days between refills.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Mr. Muggle the same day I put it in the cage they started to drink from it, but I did have to squeeze the bottle so they saw the water coming from it.

Mr. Muggle I am Maro, not Mario.

Take care,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove care Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL