The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Oiling metal canes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hey everyone,

I am working with an appearing cane in my act and I am wondering if I should be oiling the cane now and then? If so how often and with what kind of oil? It is a harakhan appearing cane so I don't want to wreck it before it even sees a stage...

Thanks in advance,

DJ

P.S. Any other tips on caring would be helpful, I want to give this cane a long life.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I have used Harakhan canes for quite some time and have not oiled them before. What I did is to wipe them every time I used it with a good piece of cloth to remove whatever stains I leave on it after using it.

Most importantly is to leave it extended when not in use and never ever touch it when your hands are wet, sweating or stained with anything. Wipe it immediately after use.

Hope this help.
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
I own a Mahka Tendo and I use car wax on it. I use a light duty simoniz wax. Just place a little amount on the cloth and lightly apply to the cane, than wipe it off with a clean one. Do this around 2-3 times. It helps with the speed of the appearance, as well as retains scratches from future use.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Evan Morgan
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I would have to agree with James Tong until the very end. "What I did is to wipe them every time I used it with a good piece of cloth to remove whatever stains I leave on it after using it.

Most importantly is to leave it extended when not in use and never ever touch it when your hands are wet, sweating or stained with anything. Wipe it immediately after use."

I would add the final step. Apply some 3in1 oil to the cane once a year! Metal will rust and corrode It needs food!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Oh I forgot to mention that the cloth I used to look after my canes is not the normal piece of cloth. It is "micro-fiber cloth". It really remove stains very well.

Prior to working with my canes I would clean/wipe my hands with the micro-fiber cloth - it'll remove the oil, acid and salt components from my hands - that way it'll reduce the corrosion on the metal.

Do a google search for this cloth and you would ready the marvels it can do.
The GodFather
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of The GodFather
Yes you must oil then now and then. if you do shows often ones every 4-5 months its still ok. For my metal canes cleaning I use WD40. its good after you clean then with oil to wipe them everyday for 3-4 days.
"My goal is to spread around happiness and entertainment, by erasing the illusion of time and live in eternity "

The GodFather Magician
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Thanks so much everyone, although I got different opinions from everyone I guess I will just make an educated guess as to which idea to follow.

DJ
MaxwellGrant
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of MaxwellGrant
Most quality gun shops sell a special cloth for wiping down gun barrels that cleans and coats them to prevent rust. Lubes too.

I have used that for many years.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
DJ

I oil mine every 6 months or so with "3 in 1" oil (don't use very much!). After wiping it down thoroughly, attach a small piece of old white rag to it and "perform" it several times. This will soak up the oil from the inside. I've been doing this to the same cane since 1964 and it still works like new. (It's a Walsh).

Regarding gun shops, if the cane ever starts to show wear, you can get a bottle of "blueing" at one of these shops. Follow the instructions - the cane will look like new.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Oiling metal canes? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL