The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » My 'chained' presentation. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
This is the chain and ring that gets tied onto the chain when you drop it (Ickle Pickle).

I have been carrying it around the office just fidgeting until someone asks "what is that?"
The answer is that it is my emotion and fear devination device. "Your what?"
Well, it helps me learn about peoples fears and emotions.

For example, do you have a fear of heights? No? Ok, how about _you_? Yes, ok well for (you #1) since you have no fear of heights, you have no need for a safety net when you are in a high place, so if I run this ring up the chain and drop it, it will just fall right off. Let person 1 hold the chain, drop the ring, it falls off. But if you have a fear of heights (pass the chain to the other person) you need a safety net. Now it's important that you think about your fear, so that you can transfer some of your emotional energy to the chain. Drop the ring, and it is caught by the chain. Usually followed by "What the....?"

I have three of my own safety nets built in to this.
1. In the event (this on has yet to happen except once when I wanted to play with someone a bit) that the ring gets caught by the chain for the person with no fear, I just raise an eyebrow and say 'no fear of heights huh?"

2. And if I get the release wrong for the person who is afraid of heights the ring hits the floor and I tell them the REALLY need to think about the fear "Imagine yourself on the observation deck of the empire stat building looking down, feeling vertigo....release, the ring is caught. "WOW!"

3. If I can't find someone who is afraid of hieghts, I "induce the fear" with the empire state bulding talk and some "power of suggestion."

This week, I performed this one for 5 or six coworkers and about 60 students of the 90 or so we have running around right now. The results have been pretty good. Only a couple of smart aleks have said "I know how you did it." I handed them the chain & ring and they could not reproduce the effect. In fact one girl it still trying every time I see her. I guess I am running a risk here, but it's fun anyway.

Any thoughts?

Jim
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
I just caught this post. Having just got this trick, I really connected Smile with your presentation. Been struggling with a reason for walking around with this, other than "it's my version of bling!"

Thanks
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Excellent presentation!
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Wow, that was a long time ago! I still like the effect, and I haven't really changed the presentation of it at all. It seems to work well enough for me.

Best,
Jim
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
Are you still using this presentation? I just bought "Chained" from Ickle Pickle and I'm looking for different presentations that I can use.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Chained" is an old Boy Scout rope trick. I just do it in my rope and ring routine. It gets a nice response.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I forgot to mention that when I drop the ring and it "ties itself" onto the rope, I immediately drop one of the ends of the rope. To me, it looks better.

I was surprised to see this advertised! It has been "around" for a long time.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » My 'chained' presentation. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL