The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Vests. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Hi, I am in need of a vest. I have been looking forever, but cant find a thing. All the stores nice clothes are either for adults, or babies. They have NOTHING for my age, or size. I am looking for something not too flashy, and yet not too boring. A nice black, maybe silky vest would do. I need it to have big pockets on both sides, and it would be a bonus if there were pockets on the inside as well. So, doesn anyone know where I can get this? Is there any place online, or even better, in Nova Scotia? Is there a place where I can get it custom made. With pockets the right size, etc. I don't want to pay a fortune though. So, any ideas would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks. -Cory.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I would think any good taylor would be able to make something for you. All you would need is to sit down with them and explain what you want it to look like or have on it. You don't have to tell them what you are going to do with it,just in case you are going to have places for certain gimmicks.

Steven
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Have a tailor as your friend or make one your friend, might help.

Have a look at goodwill stores.

Ask people that you see who are just wearing what you like or the same style where they have bought it.

Think of another profession where the people might need a vest, maybe a bartender. Then go maybe ask them where they got it, go there get one and let your friend, the tailor, make some extra pockets for you, in the ideal world that would be your girlfriend doing it just for fun or some of your magic...

Edith
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
This is the vest you are looking for: The "Performer Vest":

http://www.gmrcreations.com/bob/52-150.htm

Scroll down 'till you find it. I own it and it's wonderful. 5 Dozens pockets...
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I used that vest once. It took me 5 hours to find my car keys.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Cory,

Don't let the words "custom clothes" scare ya by assuming only big spenders have 'em.

A performer's 'rags' can't be expected to be found off the rack so you should expect to just have it made.

That reminds me, I used to have some casual hats made at a place called 'Hat It Made'. They usually got tons of compliments and when asked where I got it, I'd replay 'Hat It Made'. They'd repeat "No, I mean where'd you get it?" thinking I didn't understand and I'd say 'Hat It Made'...see where the problem was? Hehehehe.

With the high retail costs in clothes like this, you'd be amazed to find that a custom vest will cost as much and maybe just a little more.

Nice thing about a custom piece is you can pick out your own fabric.

Years ago when I sold suits for a living with a major men's clothier, I learned a great deal about the marginal quality found on the rack. We had a master tailor (Jessy) who wore vests to work every day. His vests were far far superior to even the best labels on the floor and he made his own! His work compared to Donna Karen, De La Renta, Versace, and comparable labels was impressive.

That's the kind of tailor you can call and keep a friend!

So find a tailor you can trust, deliver the fabric and anything else they may need, a pattern or photos of what you'd like, and and get something unique to you.
docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
Question: I'm looking for a bridge from Queens to Manhattan---Answer: go to an architect and have him design one for you..

Holy Mother of Darkness, ---there are vests all over---tuxedo shops, Stein Mart (US), any good men's clothing store. I got mine at Stein Mart, sewed in a topit on one side and multiple pockets on the other. $35 plus and it works fine.

Also google it.
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
In Nashville every year there is a tux shop that has a very good clearance sale every Feb. You can get tux shirts for $12, shoes $12, closed back vest for $15, a complete tux for around $75 and they will even alter for a small fee. They are getting rid of there used and last year's styles. Look around in your city and ask.
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
If you are looking for some specific clothing item that just doesn't seem to exist, look around your city for Fashion Design schools. There are usually some graduating students who would love to make a few extra bucks, will (might, actually) do a great job, and charge less than a 'professional'.
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
ShawnMilo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ShawnMilo
I have a Scott-E-Vest, and I love it. It's fairly expensive, and it's not marketed to magicians per se. It's more for geeks -- it has 28 pockets, which can have wiring running through the lining. Think iPod in one pocket with headphones routed through to the collar, etc. Reel possibilities?

It's also not a "vest" as in one you'd wear with a suit. However, I bring it up because it has 28 pockets, tons of room, and the pockets zip closed. In addition, it's super-sweet for motorcyclists -- you don't have to worry about losing your cards or keys.

http://www.scottevest.com/

Shawn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Vests. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL