The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Death to Hecklers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Death to Hecklers or What to Do with Disruptive Spectators
By Brad Burt
Copyright 2006 magicshop.com productions

The second part of the title above was sent in by another online reader in answer to my question on how I could help YOU more as spelled out in my "Just Imagine WHAT?" email. I interpreted 'disruptive' as 'heckler', but it may be more complex than that. I don't REALLY want hecklers to die…maybe just get Shingles or Scabbies.

The fact is that disruptive spectators come in several varieties. Let's take a look at the ones that readily come to mind and if you have more let me know and I'll do a follow up essay.

First, we have the 'drunk'. This Disruptive Character (DC) comes in the male and the female variety. My comments here come strictly from experience and observation I make no other judgments. Some folks can handle their booze and some can't. The ones that can't are generally the problem and even then the problem has huge variety. The folks that are tipsy and just having fun with you learn to go with it. Have fun right back at 'em and let the show prosper because of it.

But, when you meat the obnoxious drinker, then the problems start. One of the worse for magicians is the 'Grabber'. Grabbers by my observation are almost always women. I have no idea why. When confronted with a grabber you are in for an almost Zen like experience. They do NOT give any signal. The item just seems to teleport into their hand in a way much more magical than anything you were doing before it happened! The only way I know of to really handle this is to not let it happen. YOU have to be aware of YOUR audience. Don't be afraid to LOOK at them and make judgments on who might or might not be a problem. If you have a slightly tipsy seeming woman or man who is QUIET in front of you watch out. Again, my experience is that the quiet ones are the Zen Masters. They are concentrating and when the idea hits them to examine YOUR stuff that stuff is pretty much in their hand before YOU can stop it. Women generally will NOT be confrontive or combative. But, when they are curious they can strike like a Taoist Monk trying to get the rock from the hand of Master Po. Generally Po loses the rock. Men who grab on the other hand tend to telegraph their move before they strike.

Part of the problem, is that you are not expecting it. It's that simple. You need to be aware. YOU are supposed to be the one in control and that's what it's all about in close-up performance. So be aware.

O.k., so you ARE aware, now what? Well, for one thing you can do what I talked about in the Mini Magic Course #1. You have to Control your Performing area! Let's say that you see a possible problem coming up. No sweat. Just get all the spectators BACK far enough from your performing area that they are not in Critical Proximity to you or your props. Ask them for instance to step back a little so that they can better see the next routine and then do a rope effect or something more in a stand up mode. This simple idea will take care of most situations that include the grabber, etc.

Now, let's pick on the Male side of the equation. Males are almost never grabbers, but they are almost always the ones who will disrupt in other ways especially if they are with alcohol. These are the ones who 'heckle' you or attempt in some way to screw up the trick. So let's attempt to deal with this side of the equation. Note that both sexes can be found on both sides, I am talking generally here.

Hecklers. What is a Heckler? You've all seen them and experienced them. They are the ones who call out a possible or real solution to the trick. They call you names. They are just generally disruptive. Much worse than the grabber, you can't really do what needs to be done. You can't spank them. So, what do we do?

The problem here is that the possible permutations are if not endless still of quite a variety. So again lets look for a general manner in which we can handle these folks.

Rule #1- I don't like to work any place where there is going to be hard drinking or for a hard drinking crowd. Frankly, this is common sense. There are some performers who have the personality for this type of venue. I think that's wonderful. I don't. If cornered I'll fight, but I don't like confrontation and generally will attempt to deflect it.

Rule #2- If you can't beat them, Thank Them. Guy calls out a heckle and I say, "Why thank you sir!" This is quite disconcerting when it is said with sincerity. Frankly they don't know what to do about it! Now, a word…..

I have found that there is no way to win in a shouting match with a jerk in the audience who is going to give you trouble and keep on giving it. You just can't win. If you are a stand up comic, maybe. But, a comic works primarily with words so a competent comic can work the jerk for laughs, etc. A magician generally just can't do that. What we do is based on pacing and control. Lose control and lose the audience and the show. You just can't win.

In a close-up situation working my favorite venue the Cocktail Party standing at my table, etc. I can just say the set is over and that I'll be back in five minutes. I just STOP! That's worked every time. The crowd moves away along with the jerk. A few minutes later I start up again. Easy and clean and no one knows. I've even had the jerk come up later and apologize for being a jerk. That's nice also.

Another way to deflect the problem adult, usually male, is the, "Let's keep the secret between us, ok?" strategy. When you have someone who is talking METHOD out loud, you look at them and with as much sincerity and a little anxiety in your voice utter the sentence or some form thereof to the spectator. Give a wink if that works for you. For me anyway in 9 out of 10 times the guy will realize that he is IN THE KNOW and shut up! If you can pull this one off it's great and FAST! If the guy comes up later THANK HIM!!! And, continue to talk to him as if he is a brother magician.

But, what if you are working a 30 minute stand-up show? What DO you do? What if everything you try doesn't work to settle down the jerk? That's tough, but here is one last strategy that has worked every time for me when the 'Thank You' or the 'You are in on the secret ploy' did not work. In most if not all cases this guy just wants some attention. He might even be enjoying the show and having a heck of a good time. He wants in. So LET HIM! Have a good solid spectator helper routine ready and sub it in RIGHT NOW! Get the guy up on stage or floor with you with a big round of applause. Get the guys name and shake his hand and thank him. Use his name and treat him well while he is helping. DO NOT EMBARRASS HIM. YOU want to look like a pro at all times and spectator abuse unless you are Don Rickles just does not look good to the other spectators who are judging you on what YOU DO. Remember this my friends. Handling an unruly spectator in a correct manner can get you OTHER shows!

O.k., get the guy up and do a routine with him. Thank him and send him back to his seat again with applause for HIM. I have NEVER had trouble with a spectator after this. If you do it right I can't imagine that you will have trouble with the same spectator. If you do and the show seems to being going south try what I call the Armageddon Ploy…

I have never had to use this, but I came up with it just in case. That's the secret to this stuff by the way. You have to think about what could happen and come up with a way to handle it. This is my Stand-up show Armageddon Ploy. It will not work on stage, but it might in a home situation. Here goes: You stop the show. If it is close to over anyway, just stop, take your final bow and say goodbye. If you are about half way into the show then you could say that you are taking a five minute intermission, something you ALWAYS do, and that you will be back prepared to blow their minds in just five minutes. That's it. Pretend to be getting something ready, etc. This is Passive-Aggressive audience control in the extreme. You will probably never have to do something like this, but just knowing you COULD if you had to will sometimes give you the confidence to handle it in other less drastic ways.

Keep Your Show Moving Along

I have seen and done a lot of magic shows in 33 years. One thing that I noticed early on was that if you did not have your show DOWN and moving smoothly that you were much more likely to INVITE the jerk to rag on you. In one sense he's correct. What the heck are you doing out performing if you have not rehearsed your show enough to have it move fairly evenly and look professional? But, too, if you are just starting out you HAVE go get in 'real' time in front of an audience.

Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse! Have your show down well enough that you avoid stage waits. These are killers brothers and sisters. Killers! You finish a close-up routine with coins and then can't find your deck of cards. Oh, man, you don't want that. It is these waiting periods while you look like you don't know what you are doing that opens the door to Heckler Hell. Again, generally speaking, if your show moves smoothly and professionally you will have very little trouble in this area.

Hope this helps. This stuff works for me and my personality. So take all of the above with a grain of salt. It may not work for you, but knowledge of some of what can happen can give the beginner a head start. I mean why reinvent the wheel if someone will tell you how to make one! Good luck,
Brad Burt
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
Excellent post Burt! Its nice to hear a little advice on this topic from the point of view of someone who must be speaking from experience.

I think this post is one to come back to now and again for a reminder.

Thanks,

G
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Outstanding. Here are a few of my favorite defenses:

1) Drunk Guy : Thumb cuffs.

It never occurred to me until years later, but the bar magician who slapped them on me twenty years ago was likely doing so in response to the boorish "all knowing" demeanor I was projecting.

2) Grabby Gal : Use the pants pocket instead of the shirt pocket.

If I can't control whether she grabs, I can still control whither she grabs.

3) Know-It-All : Hand 'em the cards, coin, string, etc. and switch positions while offering an enthusiastic introduction:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the magic of the Amazing Richard!"

"My name's not Richard!"

"Odd, you SEEM like a-- well, no matter. On with the show, my friend!"

You could probably do an entire piece on "Kid Control". I'd look forward to reading it...

Regards,

-jjg
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Thanks for the nice comments! I do have a lecture on Kids Show control. I'll see if I can pull it out or just rewrite the thing. All best,
Brad Burt
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I could use some help with controlling kids. I've noticed during shows they always seem to get closer and closer if they aren't in chairs (like in an outdoor show where they are sitting on concrete or grass). Anyways, great post on hecklers. I don't run into drunks much, but I have information for later in life.
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 10:20, jgravelle wrote:
Outstanding. Here are a few of my favorite defenses:

1) Drunk Guy : Thumb cuffs.

It never occurred to me until years later, but the bar magician who slapped them on me twenty years ago was likely doing so in response to the boorish "all knowing" demeanor I was projecting.

2) Grabby Gal : Use the pants pocket instead of the shirt pocket.

If I can't control whether she grabs, I can still control whither she grabs.

3) Know-It-All : Hand 'em the cards, coin, string, etc. and switch positions while offering an enthusiastic introduction:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the magic of the Amazing Richard!"

"My name's not Richard!"

"Odd, you SEEM like a-- well, no matter. On with the show, my friend!"

-jjg

This is classic!!!
Sergey Smirnov
View Profile
New user
Belgium
70 Posts

Profile of Sergey Smirnov
I've also noticed that people who know one or two self-working card tricks, which they occasionally show to others, but who are not very serious about magic, are more likely to heckle. A fellow magician will never do it, but those who know a simple self-working principle or two are a disaster. They often want you to fail.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Brad, awesome post, thanks!

Anabelle
closeupmarvel
View Profile
New user
las vegas
5 Posts

Profile of closeupmarvel
Thanks for the guide,i could really use it. I have been getting a lot of hecklers lately
im an illusionist
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
You are all very welcome! Best,
Brad Burt
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Excellent posting!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Ronzo2233
View Profile
New user
Florida
1 Post

Profile of Ronzo2233
Magicman226 children shows can be ruff. I suggest a large rope laid in front of you on the floor as if it is your stage area. Announce the fact that this is your stage area & is off limits. Easy to handle rope are available in most fabric departments. Hope this helps.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. All best,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
For those who may have missed it, this is my take on controlling a children's show:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&10

Take care,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Death to Hecklers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL