The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Tangental Thought.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
...on mixing the Good News with something odd that results in a surprisingly good combination.

It happens a lot here and I was just thinking about another application that I really enjoyed. For years, the Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith, mixed the Good News with his love for Food and presented, of all things, a cooking show and cookbooks. Jeff was an ordained Methodist Minister. Contained within his shows were wonderful messages about brotherhood and love, and I still treasure those mini-sermons in those cookbooks as superb examples of living the great commandments. I had the good fortune of meeting Jeff several times before he passed away.

My favorites were "The Problem with Christmas" which is about the most eloquent and touching talks on the subject I have ever heard. Then there is "TV dinners" which encourages us to go out and LIVE the gospel by sharing our company and befriending our neighbors that live in quiet desperation and dine on TV dinners instead of feasting on real food and real company. Doing unto the least of them is God's prescribed method of serving him.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I, too, loved watching The Frugal Gourmet. I even have some of his cookbooks...one of which is his holiday cookbook. In it, are lots of stories about the Christmas season. The one I liked the best was "no room at the inn" and why the innkeeper wasn't a harsh person by sending Mary and Joseph to the stable. He had no room at his inn, yes, but instead of turning Mary and Joseph away, he was more like "I don't have a room for you here, but to keep you from being in the night air, I can let you sleep in my stable. The animals and hay will help keep you warm..." I mean, if it's true about everyone having to go to Bethlehem to be counted in the census, how many people were actually sleeping in the streets because there was no rooms available anywhere?

Just a thought.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I never really watched him or knew much about him, guess I missed out.
Thanks for sharing, Clifford.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Tangental Thought.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL