The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Screenprinting on silks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
Howdy all,

I just got a screenprinting set and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with screenprinting on silks. Specifically what kind of paints to use and care and cleaning of silks after they've been printed. I'm working on a western-themed act and I'd like to print a bandana pattern on some of my existing silks.

Thanks!
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Yes, you can silk screen print silks. Use the ink for fabrics. It is flexible.

You will find that it will greatly increase the bulk of the silk and reduce its flexibility.

I would clean them in Woolite.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Thanks! I hope that with a sparse pattern it won't be too bulky. I'll post after I've tried some tests in case anyone else is interrested.

Thanks again!
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You know that Sharpie pens work great on real silk? It's what my odd silks are.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Does Sharpie bleed on silks or can you get a good crisp edged line with it? Also, how does it wash? Any bleeding problems there?

Thanks!
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
CC,

Sharpies should dry (about an hour) before removing the silk from the embroidery ring. The edges are as sharp as printed edges on printed 5 momme silk. (Remember the fibre is the same either way!)

I would actually advise waiting a week before using the silk and wash it first in Woolite. Red Sharpies in particular give off a dust that the sooner it's gone the better. I also would leave it flat (not folded) until washed.

Now for the truth! Since 1969, I have been in the import business. I am the magicians' silk importer. Therefore, I will trash or give away a silk to a volunteer when others would have other considerations. (Actually it is a very productive investment when well-placed.)

My wife Lucy is a physician but she is also a very accomplished artist. Lucy has been known to make art silks with Sharpie pens for me while she was riding in the car between shows. (No, she does not make them commercially!) Washed or not, the audience would never know the difference. You would! (That is the same reason to wear real diamonds.)

Give it a try!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Screenprinting on silks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL