The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » That's not the Kentucky Quarter I gave you....you horse. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I would imagine that this has been covered, but since the Magic Café has done the "Amazing Search Engine Vanish" I cannot find it.

When you borrow a quarter from a spectator and switch for a gimmicked on, have you been having trouble with people noticing a different back on the various quarters on United States quarters? If so, how have you dealt with it?

By the way, I understand that the "Amazing Search Engine Vanish" is going to be changed into the "Cut and Restored Search Engine"
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
The state faces are all the same... so use a gimick that shows face side and have 1 old style and 1 new style.

Only have the state face and just make sure that they give a state.

Do a false take so it looks like you pull gimicked coin right from their handful of change...

Just patter through it, and if you think they noticed then switch to a different trick using their coin....
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Well I think the wost is if the gimmick is shinner or more dull than the specs coin. to me this is worse so maby get them to offer more than one coin and take a pick. or do the false take
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
I have an ungimmicked quarter that is the same state as the gimmicked, and I let the spectator examine it before doing a switch.

This eliminates the possibility of someone seeing something odd. I don't think it detracts from the effect as long as you let someone inspect the quarter before hand and your switches are where they should be.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 11:22, FatTony wrote:

I have an ungimmicked quarter that is the same state as the gimmicked, and I let the spectator examine it before doing a switch.

This eliminates the possibility of someone seeing something odd...

Perhaps if you start with a handful of change. Inspecting merely sets us a puzzle and hints at trickery. Borrowing the coin also brings in the audience via a committee of the loaner and their coin.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 10:25, curtgunz wrote:
I would imagine that this has been covered, but since the Magic Café has done the "Amazing Search Engine Vanish" I cannot find it.

When you borrow a quarter from a spectator and switch for a gimmicked on, have you been having trouble with people noticing a different back on the various quarters on United States quarters? If so, how have you dealt with it?

By the way, I understand that the "Amazing Search Engine Vanish" is going to be changed into the "Cut and Restored Search Engine"

Did you read why the search engine is not available? Maybe you shoulddo that before making wise cracks.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
Good point.

So you think I should pull out a handful of change and casually take the one I need?
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Why not have THEM pull out a handful of change and just pull your gimicked coin from the coins?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 12:36, Daegs wrote:
Why not have THEM pull out a handful of change and just pull your gimicked coin from the coins?

What, exactly, will you return to them at the conclusion of the effect?

If you perform this often it could become a very expensive effect.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
A regular quarter that matches your gimick....
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Another idea...use the ungimmicked coin as an indicater in a card effect or develop any other reason for the coin to be handled by the spectator in the course of another trick (or maybe add it to his pocket change); then do the penetration almost as an afterthought...
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
That's a great idea Julie. Somehow get the ungimmicked duplicate into their hands for a first effect, then perform whatever you will with the gimmicked after making the switch. It's very subtle, I like it.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
FatTony, I pretty much have a regular coin that matches all my gimmick coins. For the newer gimmick quarters I have the same states for the regular quarters and for the gimmick coins that have dates on them, I have regular coins that match the same dates. Then I can let the spectators examine the regular coin and then do a switch. Even when I purchased the silver kennedy half dollar gravity flipper from a well know coin maker, I also purchased a regular silver kenneny half to match the flipper. That way I never have to worry about a spectator replying that the other coin had a different date or etc, etc.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
My solution involves doing a trick before you do the cig./ pen thru effect. It uses a small piece of aluminium foil applied to a quarter. Switch their quarter out for this gimmick. Scratch off the aluminium and voila' you have a quarter to match! The pretense is that the new quarters are actually just old ones plated over to look new. You have an even trade (you give them the old quarter back at the end) and you don't have to worry about borrowing coins for this effect again.
My full routine is on the DVD 'Tied'. You can read the review by Dan Watkins at http://www.coinvanish.com/reviews6.html

The effect is called "Who wants to be the firebug?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » That's not the Kentucky Quarter I gave you....you horse. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL