The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks milamber…good stuff! Smile I usually just mention books, but would like to mention Eric Jones’ fine work, Metal. The first DVD, I believe is dedicated to basic coin sleights and routines. Anything by Eric Jones is well-worth a good look-see.

And if you’re not in the mood to spend a lot of money, I actually have a Mini-Lecture download where I go over the basic coin moves and some helpful others, and with a little coin routine included to help practice the moves. 😉

https://mb217magic.gumroad.com/l/DZZAA
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2022, Mb217 wrote:
Thanks milamber…good stuff! Smile I usually just mention books, but would like to mention Eric Jones’ fine work, Metal. The first DVD, I believe is dedicated to basic coin sleights and routines. Anything by Eric Jones is well-worth a good look-see.

And if you’re not in the mood to spend a lot of money, I actually have a Mini-Lecture download where I go over the basic coin moves and some helpful others, and with a little coin routine included to help practice the moves. 😉

https://mb217magic.gumroad.com/l/DZZAA

Eric Jones' material is great. I do own a few of his DVDs, including a couple of his Metal series.

Your mini-lecture is great! Got is a few years back... great talk about coin magic along with the basic sleights and the coins across. Definitely worth the $$.

All the best,
Steve
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Having just received Al Schneider's "Al Schneider Magic", I can enthusiastically recommend it. The first four chapters alone are worth the price.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
139 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Hi there,
I'm doing magic as a hobby and I made my first steps in coin magic,
these sources I would like to add:

The pocket book from Curtis Kam: Just a few pages, but: (from the preface)
„My study of coin magic pretty much began with a copy of J.B. Bobo’s
Modern Coin Magic and a lot of questions. Over the next 35 years I found
answers, which in turn led to more questions, hopefully better ones.
Recently, those old questions have been popping up on the internet and
from students. So the first reason for this little book is to set down the
answers I do have, once and for all.“

Helped me a lot: Basic Coin Magic 2.0 by Ian Kendall. Why? He breaks it down to the basics. No fanzy moves. Direct and easy to follow, basically you don't need more.

As a personal recommendation: Learn with Danny Goldsmith. Apart from the "sleights" that everyone teaches, he also brings in new ones. He teaches you a lot of important theory. motivation of movements, how to practice, dealing with angles, presentation, ect. For me it is hard to imagine that it can be better.

Who has not discovered it yet: Rick Holcombe has some fantastic tutorials on youtube that anyone getting into coin magic should have seen.
As it comes to youtube: here is a better hidden treasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEzTDg0lA2g In this Interview Craig Petty talks to Danny Goldsmith, it includes a kind of mini lecture. If you love coin magic you will like this for sure.

I wanted to point out what Dr. Rubinstein asked in this thread: What you want to learn? The moves or routines?

When it comes to the routines: Charming Chinese Challenge from Troy Hooser and Tresor from Copeland coins. Go and check Copeland.

When it comes to the props (off topic I know): You will need a purse and I like the Traveler. It comes with an very detailed tutorial, some nice routines and tips on handling.
Thought about Okito? I would really recommend to buy one, for me it helps a lot (magic wand principle). You will see progress relativly fast. Out there in the web is "J. Burke Whittaker Coin Box concepts."(don't pay for it, he gives this away for free). For me a good start: "Brass Class" from again, Copeland. I'm not getting paid for this...

I forgot to mention one of my hidden treasures:
There are hundreds of Magic books outhere for free. Incl. Bobo and some other book mentioned here. However If you don't want to search every single one of them, take a look at this: https://thedailymagician.thrivecart.com/......ion-new/
The guys did an awesome job, gathered them all together and made an Index.
"368 magic books, 30,000+ pages of content, 91 professional commentaries, an extensively detailed index with 4429 effects, authors featuring. Houdini, Erdanase, Tarbell, Hugard, and MORE—this is a veritable ‘cup of life’ to any and all amateur or professional magicians.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
139 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
At this point I would like to refer to "One Coin Series" Vol. 1 by Ponta the Smith:
"In part one of the series, the legendary Ponta the Smith will show you an elegant, fooling sequence that is smooth as silk, yet is achieved with nothing more than finger palm. This is more an "etude" than a full routine, designed to teach Ponta's concept of "flow"."

The release has already been presented under "latest and greatest", but has not received much response.
www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.ph......orum=218

Probably because it might not be very impressive to most in this forum. But for beginners it's a nice way to practice, at least for me.
Doesn't even cost $5.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2023, MarcelR wrote:
At this point I would like to refer to "One Coin Series" Vol. 1 by Ponta the Smith:
"In part one of the series, the legendary Ponta the Smith will show you an elegant, fooling sequence that is smooth as silk, yet is achieved with nothing more than finger palm. This is more an "etude" than a full routine, designed to teach Ponta's concept of "flow"."

The release has already been presented under "latest and greatest", but has not received much response.
www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.ph......orum=218

Probably because it might not be very impressive to most in this forum. But for beginners it's a nice way to practice, at least for me.
Doesn't even cost $5.

I enjoyed this. I like how he's decided to make use of the one technique to examine flow in a routine. I don't know that I'll learn the full routine, but I enjoyed hearing how he constructed it and broke down the decisions he made when he could vanish in several ways. Nice explanation of how it builds. Lots of little components you could apply elsewhere. You could make use of other palms, etc to achieve it, but the value is in hearing his thinking on the construction of the routine. Tempted to get more of the one coin series.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Here's what gives me pause on "One Coin Series Vol.1":
Quote:
"...yet is achieved with nothing more than finger palm"

If one is moderately familiar with coin sleights, then it's obvious while watching the "One Coin Series Vol.1" trailer that there are more sleights involved than the finger palm. So, what is being touted as a routine using a basic sleight (basic to learn...challenging to master), is not so, and attaining performance level of this routine may prove more challenging than one might anticipate given the marketing description.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I'm not an amazing coin magician, but having bought and watched this, it is finger palm. There's different moves in terms of moving it into finger palm. The majority of it isn't necessarily hard, but it will take a lot of practice to get it looking like the trailer. I wouldn't say it's a good starting point for coin magic but enjoyable none the less. Might only be 15 minutes, but felt well spent watching and an afternoon playing with the moves.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Dr. Michael Rubinstein’s ROPS move is used in the trailer.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
139 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2024, GJo wrote:

No, it's not. The advertising is pretty accurat, it's about flow. If you think difficult sleights are necessary here, it only shows how well the routine is done.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2024, MarcelR wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2024, GJo wrote:

No, it's not. The advertising is pretty accurat, it's about flow. If you think difficult sleights are necessary here, it only shows how well the routine is done.

What’s the double tap vanish at :33 into the teaser video?
Looks like Rubinstein’s ROPS to me.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
139 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Since it is only a very small download, it seems wrong to give away details at this point, but I have sent you a PM.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
R.O.P.S.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
139 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Same to you, PM sent. Well, I'm not going to explain it to everyone, (exposure) but I own this downoad. No R.O.P.S. involved, so believe me.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Yes, I see it now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL