The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blackstone Auction Prices (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
With the Blackstone auction behind us, I just couldn’t believe the prices magicians paid for everything. Buying a Blackstone signature piece is one thing, the Vanishing bird cage for 5000.00 as example or a Blackstone Flame trimmed costume is a historical piece and was sold to the highest bidder. Yes you could of bought a piece of magic history, but at what price? What some of the illusions and props sold at, will never resell for near the prices they sold for. Most of these illusion and props are 20-30 years old. However, I have to say that the posters went for good prices.

Some sales that come to mind.

The Zimmerman 12 year old prediction chest sold for 3000.00, you can buy a new one for 1800.00 right now.

The 1971 owen zig-zag illusion sold over 8,000.00

A thin model sawing that was in the seaworld outdoor dock stage, back in the mid 70’s went for 2000.00
Most of the seaworld props were in worn condition.

Alice through the looking glass 17,250.00 the same illusion made by the same builder made today would be under 6500.00

A 1970’s made Owen Buddha doll house 7700.00, Gay had the estimate at 500.00, I believe a new one would be around the same.

Owen Tea for an oriental Protentate sold for 9800.00 and that is about the price of a new one would cost.

Blackstone spirit cabinet for the dancing hank sells new at Owens for 650.00 a piece of history cost someone over 5000.00.

A Mak- magic square circle sold 158.00
Theatre effects confetti cannons sold for 265.00 for two, sells for 118 new (59.00 each)
The floating cube ( the silver dice cover in silver) sells for under 15.00 sold for over 150.00

There were some bargains a motorcycle vanish at 1700.00, bump in the night sold 3100.00 ( a 12000.00 value) and other bargains were found. But in general most items went well over the estimate that Gay had predicted.

I think if these props and illusions were sold on the Magic Auction, no one would ever pay prices like the Blackstone auction and many illusions would be returned with buyer’s remorse.

Just wondering what others thought?
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Dondrake
View Profile
New user
Lompoc California
26 Posts

Profile of Dondrake
Well, first of all, the Blackstone name on an illusion (collectors like having something that was owned by two of the truly greatest magicians in the world) is what they are actually paying for. I knew both Harry Sr., and Harry Jr. and I used to play together in Colon Michigan when we were little kids. If I had the money, I would have been right in there bidding, for TWO reasons. First of all for the Blackstone name, (you ought to see what stuff that Houdinid owned sold for in the past) and secondly Gay Blackstone could use the money! She is a wonderful lady who never complains about anything, but may not be the wealthiest person in the world. So IMHO, when you think about buying an illusion that was previously owned by Blackstone, try to rmember all the magicians that they both inspired. I know several famous illusionists today, who actually got started because of Harry Jr. and Harry Sr. It's not the actual physical value of the illusion that these collectors pay for, I believe it's just the wonderful feeling of owning something that was once used by two of the world's greatest magicians. Sentimental value is a real tangible thing! And also knowing that you are helping Harry Jr.'s widow, (who selflessly gives her time and knowledge to help magi all over the world)makes it all the more valuable, in my book. A case in point would be The Floating Light Bulb (the Blackstone Original) that is now owned by Darren Romeo. When I saw him perfomr that illusion, to the same music that Harry Sr. and Harry Jr. used, I had tears in my eyes. I hope that this will explain another point of view to all. Yours in Black(stone) Art magic, DONDRAKE Smile
Yours in Black Art Magic, DONDRAKE
"Remember, be a MAGICIAN, don't just do tricks!" Alwyn Stevenson, 1960 (RIP)
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
A case in point would be The Floating Light Bulb (the Blackstone Original) that is now owned by Darren Romeo.

The Floating lightbulb was leased to S&R for Darren and GAY plans on Keeping that effect as Intellectual Property.

The Doug Henning Auction everything sold Cheap and Mark Wilson sale of his illusion is low priced as well so It just took me by surprise.
Thanks for your thoughts..........
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Zigmont, I did pick up a couple of the Moorish costumes and felt a little taken? I will privately send you the note I sent off to the auction house with the way they were adverised. Let me know what you think.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
she didn't auction off the LBC.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

LBC??? Can you clarify.

Heard there is to be a second auction this summer. True??

There was a lot of material not auctioned.
(But $350,000.00 USD did go!)

Made good $$$$$ Consider also props bought in the 70' at those prices. Check an old catalogue and see what they went for new back then!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
I heard a second auction is in February.

As I said in my first post, prices for these illusion went just about what they cost new in today's market.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
I would like to know if anyone who won the bidding on the large illusions was surprised how much the shipping was. I won a Blackstone poster and the shipping was $18.00. If I ship it, it would cost about $5.00.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

LBC => Light Bulb Cabinet.

Actually, I am glad she didn't. She shouldn't. It's a specially made one for Uncle Harry. Only a few magicians had one specially built for them.

www.mai-ling.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Marshall, the Dee Yip Loo one, or the Owen Magic one???

Seems Harry had several!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

the one built by Louie.

The original Sr. one is in someone elses collection. but they would have more than one, becuase well, in case something happens to one the other one can repaired and the show can still go one. Smile

www.mai-ling.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Read your post, "glad she didn't sell the LBC", if she didn-t have the original. and she has several.......which are you talking about?????? Did they really have that many of Lous'???

My memory seems to say that I have only seen Harry work with an Owens model. (Note: I had the opportunity to work with Lous' version back in the 70's with Roy Huston and Co., I was one of "and Co.")

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

Perhaps you should give Gay a call and ask if they - the LBC,one or all, will be in the next auction. Also, ask her when it will be, there is a lot of spec.

Did you ever get to talk with Charlie about the auction (your other posting), what did he have to say about the auction? Fill us in.

P.S. Thanks - B.M.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

He has used the one built by louie. never changed the look of it. I am not sure how often, but i recall seeing him use it.

and no i never had the opportunity to speak with charlie. he was out of town when i called. but i plan to get a hold of him again possibly today if i have time. If I do I'll ask him if she is planning to have another auction. and post seperate thread.

there aren't many of Louie's LBC around. I think five + one unfinished one. I am not sure.

www.mai-ling.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Note to Floridamagic re. transport. All freight is expensive for the big stuff especially if it is not full load!! Also much of the stuff had to be crated which in the case of some of the illusion props could have been as much as the prop itself. I moved a 53' trailer to Canada from San Diego 3 years ago fully loaded with the 'ShaZzam!" show and that move cost $5000.00 (this was CDN)one way. Half a trailer or less could go at almost the same price. More hassle for the transport company. I investigated before I bid on anything large!! For the Buddha Temple which I did bid up to my max, I expected to pay close to $700.00 USD transport. So my advice never buy individual pieces, buy the whole d--- show. A full load. (Just joking!!). Save money! Right John??

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Original Blackstone light bulb cabinent is owened by Tad Ware who performed it with Gay at Collector's a few years ago. Harry Jr. usually used the Owen model when he performed it. But it is such a pain to set up, screwing in all the bulbs, and everything must stay in perfect alignment plus the risk of broken bulbs, meant he did not do it very much.
As for a second auction, it is very likely. For instance, there were many duplicates of effects, like two complete outfits for the Sea World shows. However, I felt Sotheby's did a poor job handling the distribution of the items after the fact. Even the smallest items took almost two months to reach the people. I am sure this was due to the auction house only having two people packing all the stuff to ship. By the time one could register a negative rating on ebay for the sale, they were already unlisted. I will say that the people from Entertainment Rairities were good communicating but their execution of the auction after bidding closed was lacking.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Richard,

Glad I was right about which cabinet Harry Jr. used (thought my memory was going!!). There were quite a few illusions from the big show that were not listed/sold, even several sets of costuming, none of the scenery was up either ie. looks like only half of the Americana set of costumes were sold etc.

I was pleased with communication with the group. But a warning for anyone else bidding.

Question every listing that you bid on, never assume what they have posted is accurate!!!!!!!! Request details also, crating estimates, number of pieces etc!!!
Get a separate e-mail response on each inquiry!!

I was very disappointed in the "lot" of costuming I received. Condition was good, but I let them know how displeased I was with the misleading way it was described.
But you place your bid and take your chances!!

Watch out the next time around, I will!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-02-24 21:14, hugmagic wrote:
Original Blackstone light bulb cabinent is owened by Tad Ware who performed it with Gay at Collector's a few years ago.

you were there for that too? do you know if the collectors are going to be in chicago again? i plan to call uncle jay today and find out. i want to take dad there. won't be the same without uncle george unfortunately. Smile

www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blackstone Auction Prices (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL