The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » MagicSports » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I mentioned MagicSports in another thread, but I felt it needed a thread of it's own.

MagicSports didn't really debut until 1991, but it's inspirations go back to 1986 when we ran the very first Magic Week here in Melbourne. We had a big show on at The Palais Theatre we modestly called 'The Ultimate Magic Show'. To a large extent it was, as it featured the nine of the top stage magicians in Australia at the time: Sam Angelico, Doug Tremlett, Raymond Crowe, Ricki Ozimo, Harry Houdidn't, Super Hubert, Duck Cameron, Terry Dansic, and myself.

It was Raymond Crowe who inspired the very first MagicSports game. He'd done a rehearsal of his fantastic zombie ball routine. A combination of mime, magic and movement set perfectly to music. The rehearsal was great and it looked like being a killer spot.

Showtime comes along, Raymond walks on stage. His music begins... and all we hear is the last few seconds of his music fading out. The professional technicians we'd hired had forgotten to rewind his cassette.

What Raymond did next was inspired. Instead of drawing attention to the mistake, or berating the techs as I've seen some magicians do, he just waited. He knew there was another track coming up on the tape, it was a piece of music box music he used for a different routine in other shows. When that track began he performed his zombie ball to the new music, re-choreographing it as he went. The routine we saw that afternoon now had a completely different feel to it, but it went down a treat.

After the act people came up to Raymond and ask him how long he'd been using that new music. I'm not sure of his exact words, but I can imagine he probably said "About 3 minutes..."

And that is the inspiration for the MagicSports game 'Drunk Tech'.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
That's inspired! I have long preached that you never want to admit to a screw up, even if it's not yours. There is almost always a way out if you look for it. That's just a great story. Best,
Brad Burt
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I thought I would just say thanks... Ever since you lecture in Milwuakee WI MagicSports has been a regular event at our S.A.M. meeting... We do this at least once a year. It is always a great time and man it's fun! You never know what you think of!

If any club leaders haven't done this as a meeting night try it out.

Thanks Again for the great idea!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
That is GREAT NEWS Mark!

So many clubs have adopted MAGICSPORTS as part of their regular meetings it's absolutely thrilling. Some clubs have told me they've developed "offshoot groups" that meet weekly to play MAGICSPORTS.

We tried to convince FISM to hold a WORLD MAGICSPORTS CHAMPIONSHIP this year so that clubs from all over the world could field teams. (Maybe the IBM or SAM could have a US championship next year?) There are lots of teams in Europe as well, hopefully we can have a worldwide MagicSports event at FISM 2009!

It's also been suggested that we establish a central MAGICSPORTS website so that clubs could keep in touch with each other to share ideas and encourage each other.

Any interest in those ideas?
idris
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
38 Posts

Profile of idris
Hi Tim,
I've see references to MAGICSPORTS in a couple of threads here, but don't really understand exactly what they are. Would you mind posting an explanation of MAGICSPORTS here or possibly PMing me if you don't want to waste board space?

Thanks
Jerry
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Jerry, you can read all about MagicSports here http://www.magicunlimited.com/Pubmagicsports.htm

or even see some games played on our DVD 'Ellis in Wonderland'. Some of the games were filmed during The Flicking Fingers visit to Australia, while others were filmed at the last FISM. All I can say is... Helge Thun's dice stacking rules! Smile

Basically, MagicSports is improvised magic. It's Theatresports for magicians.

It's designed to help magicians unleash their repressed creativity and to become more comfortable on stage.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Tim,

That sounds great! Even if we can't get a contest in one of the big conferences, a website would be great! I would love to hear about games other clubs play!

I know that the games we play are mostly combinations of games, so that everyone can play. We will normally break into group of 4 or 5 people with one judge. Then the groups compete against each other with the games… It’s always fun!

If the MagicSports website happens let us all know!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
TheatreSports had a huge following here in Australia during the 90's. Professional troups made quite a good living off regular gigs in some of Melbournes top theatres.

Tim has mentioned that MagicSports is a great tool for Magicians to 'unleash' the creativity - but If you ask me, The flicking Fingers and many other people who have seen it undertaken by top-caliber magicians...it's more than that. It's good, and marketable entertainment.

With talented Magicians - who also have at least the foundation of the ability to ad-lib, act and generally be funny - this is GOLD!. GOLD I tells ya! Audiences just love it, and it doesn't matter if the trick goes as planned or not at all. It's like bing able to do the best show of your life under the worste conditions...with everything going wrong...and the audience still loves you for it! More so, in fact.

The thing is - improv isn't just improv. You can practice it. Just like some magicians have a store of so many witicisms, 1-lines and wisecracks that they seem to be coming up with them on the spot? Rehearsed spontenaety? MagicSports is the same. Practice often enough with the 'troup' and you begin to build up a library of elements that can be applied to a number of the situations that arise during a game...and the spontenaety still occurs in the application of those elements alongside truly 'off the cuff' ideas.

I'ts all good fun - and should be a fundamental activity of any magic club serious about contributing to the development of the skills of their members.

M@
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
When you came to memphis you challenged us to practice routines using random songs and even showed us how different your linking rings routine was with different types of music.
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I remember that Johnnymagic, Memphis was FUN! Great group of people there (2002 with Jim Surprise, right?)

That particular game is called 'DRUNK TECH', the easiest introduction to the world of MagicSports and inspired creativity. Did you try it yourself Johnny?

If you get a chance, print out the MagicSports page at http://www.magicunlimited.com/Pubmagicsports.htm and try some of the other games.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I love Magic Sports and been a huge fan since something similar was introduced at a convention I once attended. Since then I've had a chance to participate, MC and even judge some of the events. Thanks so much for providing the Café members with the history and the weblink so that more can enjoy participating.

I've also had the chance to become involved in impov in the past and see some similarities..keeps you on your toes and makes you think fast! It's also very enjoyable and quaranteed to have everyone laughing if you are watching.

Chrystal
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
We've been thrilled to host MagicSports events at many different conventions now:

Australian Magic Convention 1996
World Magic Seminar 2002
Flick Fingers Convention 2003
FISM 2003

If you have a convention and you'd like to have a MagicSports event... Smile you can call Ellis & Webster, or The Flicking Fingers, or... just do it!
Michael Sullivan
View Profile
New user
Australia
86 Posts

Profile of Michael Sullivan
Magic Sports is great fun and being from Melbourne Australia have had the pleasure to play it many at time and as I said in the WLMS thread it came in handy.

Michael
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
Quote:
On 2006-03-09 20:12, Tim Ellis wrote:
I remember that Johnnymagic, Memphis was FUN! Great group of people there (2002 with Jim Surprise, right?)

That particular game is called 'DRUNK TECH', the easiest introduction to the world of MagicSports and inspired creativity. Did you try it yourself Johnny?

If you get a chance, print out the MagicSports page at http://www.magicunlimited.com/Pubmagicsports.htm and try some of the other games.

Yes 2002 it was. And yes I did try it out. thanks for the link...

JM
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
Card Story a good game to start with. It can be a fun for anyone at anytime, anywhere with a group of people.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
And if you have a long commute, get out a deck of cards, shuffle them and play it silently on your own. Really helps to keep your mind sharp!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » MagicSports » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL