The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Reverence for cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Take a look at Oz Pearlman's demo for Torched and Restored: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=204

You see how he grimaces when he folds and tears the cards up? I'm not sure how intentional that is on his part, and I don't know if it adds to the effect or not. But I can certainly relate to that feeling. I love doing certain effects that ruin playing cards, like Reformation, Immaculate Connection, Voodoo Card, Paperclipped, etc. They are excellent, strong effects, but there is always a part of me that grimaces when I have to do something that hurts a card. It's sort of silly, after all it's just pastboard and ink. But I realize that I have a strong, ritualistic reverence for playing cards. Is that common with you guys as well?
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 17:21, scorch wrote:

there is always a part of me that grimaces when I have to do something that hurts a card.

:lol:
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
LOL, I'm not sure if he is just acting or if he has that same reverence for cards that you do scorch.

Myself, I love the pasteboards, I surely do. But I have no more reverence for an individual card or pack of cards than I do for a piece of Kleenex. I like card magic and card artistry, but the cards themselves (unless the are some kind of collectors item) really don't mean that much to me. It's just an ordinary, everyday, disposible item as far as I'm concerned.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Know whatcha mean scorch. I can almost hear their tiny souls cry out in agony. Maybe it's just me thinking "I just paid good money for these, dag-nabbit!"
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I once put a brutal crimp in a six of spades... couldn't sleep all night for worrying!
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Felicitas
View Profile
New user
Maryland
36 Posts

Profile of Felicitas
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 17:44, NeoMagic wrote:
I once put a brutal crimp in a six of spades... couldn't sleep all night for worrying!

You just gave me nightmares for a week!!!

-A.J.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
To a layperson a deck of cards should last years and countless hours of enjoyment.
To destroy a playing card in front of them is like punching their friend in the nose.
When I destroy a card in front of someone the reaction on their face is priceless. I could imagine what’s going through their mind. (Look, he's destroying the Ace of spades. He'll have to buy a new deck now:)
I used to feel terrible when I first tore a card but the moment I new I wanted to become a magician cards mean something totally different than how they use to.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I am pretty much with Vandy on this one. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love card magic, but I have mangled way too many cards over the years to get to emotionally involved. They really are just coated pieces of paper. I mean, they are, right? Just pieces of paper....right? ;-) Best,
Brad Burt
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
For the effect you sometimes have to sacrifice a card. Smile If it helps your magic, this is totally OK. The audience will appreciate it, as said above.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Whenever I tear, bend, or burn cards, I have never failed to get "OMG" response from the specs. They seem to think that tearing card up is one of the deadly sins Smile First the hushed voices of "omg hes actually tearing a card!" (like they've never seen something being torn before) and then there is the "what are you doing!" (I actually had a spec snatch the cards trying to "save" them ==+)

I can't say that I am like Mr Grift or Mr Burt. I do hesitate/pick and choose which cards I'd rip up, and I'd much rather see a card be ripped if its from an old pack.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 17:21, scorch wrote:
But I realize that I have a strong, ritualistic reverence for playing cards. Is that common with you guys as well?
Yes, it is with me. As Vernon once stated, "Cards are like live, breathing beings and should be treated as such". I don't even like crimping a card...silly/sad isn't it? Smile Smile
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Reverence for cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL