The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Chris Bliss-Golden Slumbers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Chris Bliss created his 3-ball routine as an entertaining finale to his comedy routine.
Jason Garfield copied Chris' routine to show-off his technical ability and slam Chris Bliss.
Chris performed his routine in front of about a thousand enthusiastic audience members while wearing cool clothes.
Jason performed his in front of a couple or three cameras while wearing his sweats.
Chris received a standing ovation.
Jason took a bow.

There's a lesson here...somewhere...lemme see... Smile
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
After reading Jason's book, I can understand better now why he did the Chris Bliss p!ss take.

Its not to slam Chris personally, but to show that it is possible to take something that is old and revamp it. Make it more difficult and therefore more impressive.

Jason has this thing about jugglers taking old routines and using them over and over. Not making any changes and selling it as their own routine.

Now I'm saying that Chris's routine isn't original. But, how many times have you seen a juggler make out that what he's doing is hard or dangerous, when really its nowhere near either.

I guess that's where Chris's routine falls.

The stuff he's doing isn't hard at all. Just a constant repeat of easy moves and a mild fit.

Before reading Jason's book I quite liked Chris's routine. Then I read the book and I thought, hmmm not so good.

Then I saw Jason's dvd and thought, actually its pretty naff.

Then I caught the trailer for the Galchenko's (spelt?) and thought, well this stuff is really dead easy and should this be the type of thing that jugglers are known for?

I'm still undecided.

But I have decided that Jason is right on one thing. And that's jugglers need to stop doing those old routines and start coming up with new material.

We should all start educating audiences that these old routines aren't what we've said they were after all. If we're going to do something dangerous, then DO IT.

If we're going to do something hard, then DO IT.

We should stop pretending (to ourselves and our audiences) that they are.

Why not make this stuff entertaining? Now that would be a lesson well learnt.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Then comes the question - what it difficult... And if you can answer that one, I am impressed. Because that IS difficult.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Roslyn

I'm going to disagree with you.

1) If a routine works and entertains people why change it just for the sake of change? Very little that any juggler does is unique (even Jason Garfield), audiences don't change much over the years (if anything they are getting less sophisticated) As a working juggler you want to perform in a way that gets the best response for your personality. If your show is slick but full of simple (to a juggler) stuff who cares? It won't be the audience - just other (jealous) jugglers.

2) Audiences like to be fooled (otherwise there would be few magicians). They'd rather have the illusion of danger in an entertaining routine than real danger and a poor routine.

3) See the thread about juggling knives.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Nigel,

I can understand where you're coming from. And I agree that entertaining the audience is first and foremost.

But, don't you think its lazy just to take an old routine, complete with old lines and jokes and keep on using it forever? No change, nothing. Just used straight from the box. Why not come up with something else?

I know my posts read like a letter from the Jason Garfield fan club, but the fact is he has come up with his own style and has created some awsome variations and combo moves of his own. One that springs to mind is his 5 club back crosses on doubles to a back cross flash with a 360 to 5 club back crosses on singles.

His lines are his own. His show is his own. I can't think of anyone before Jason that performed juggling like Jason.

There are a few other jugglers that also deserve this level of respect. Jugglers like Francis Brun, Viktor Kee and Popavich are three that spring to mind.

I'm not saying that simple is bad.

In fact it can be great. I've seen many juggling routines that weren't much more than a 3 ball cascade that were really funny and entertaining. But the performer didn't make out that the cascade was anything more than what it is.

What I am saying, is if you tell an audience you are doing something hard, then it should be hard. Why lie?

In escapology, I wouldn't say that a pair of handcuffs were real if they weren't. Nor would I say that a lock was genuine if it wasn't.

Ok, I wouldn't say it wasn't real either. I'd ask an audience member if they can see something unusual about it. They say no, and so they have confirmed the item is genuine without me saying that it is.

I haven't lied.

But if I do say a pair of cuffs or a lock is genuine, then they are.

Why not do this with juggling?

You say that it is best to have a well executed routine with percieved danger, rather than a dangerous routine that is rubbish.

I agree with you partly on this.

Yes you should have an entertaining routine above all else, but why pretend it is dangerous?

If the routine is that good you shouldn't have to pretend it is anything.

If you are pretending it is dangerous to make the routine seem better, then is the routine actually any good?

Take the old street stunt of walking over someone while juggling.

I've seen it done with fire, knives, chainsaws and 5 clubs.

The clubs got the better reaction.

I've been pondering on this since I got JGs book and I think with the clubs version the audience knows that 5 clubs is bloody hard, and that the chance of dropping one is much greater than dropping a torch or a saw juggled in a 3 object cascade.

And the thing is, its true! 5 clubs is harder than 3 torches. You do have a greater chance of dropping.

Therefore the danger is real.

I'm not too sure if you're right about audiences liking to be fooled.

If you go and see a magician, you know that what he/she is doing is fake. He/she's not really made that girl vanish, and the audience knows that.

When going to see a juggler, they don't expect the juggler to lie or fool them.

Jugglers do what they say they're doing. You can't fake a 5 ball shower.

So if a juggler says they'll do something dangerous then the audience thinks this must be true. If its not then that's no more right than a magician making out they can really read minds or bend spoons by the power of esp or psycokenisis.

Sorry for the essay,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Jason Garfield's "Chris Bliss Diss" was covered
on NBC's Dateline tonight!

Here's a link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11648306/
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
LOL I can see this turning into something big.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-04-02 20:51, Daniel Santos wrote:
LOL I can see this turning into something big.

I disagree. I can see this turning into nothing and being forgotten within a few weeks.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
In the Dateline piece, Penn Jillette got more camera time than
either Jason Garfield or Chris Bliss.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
He is better known than Jason Garfield or Chris Bliss.
Steve V
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
I heard that Chris Bliss is a part of a magic team. Anyone know of this? Name, Web, Video etC?
rplanet
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of rplanet
I knew Chris a long time ago, he use to do the same 3 ball routine with day glo tennis balls in blacklight at nightclubs in the early 80's. He can do it blindfolded by now I'm guessing. I sort of doubt he's a magician...unless there's some money in it.
I'm glad to see him going strong, he's a good guy, he got me some gigs in the day. One was as the opening act for a local rock band called Chameleon, whose keyboard player was, get this...YANNI! Really! Smile
Thinking is the best way to travel!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We had Bliss at our WMS Convention in Las Vegas and he got a standing ovation. He gets a lot of them... because... he is very very entrtaining. And that, my friends, is what counts.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Whoops! There's the answer to my question.
What Pete said. He's entertaining.

That's the "why."
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Chris Bliss-Golden Slumbers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL