The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Doing it for pay.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
My, my, my, it's been a good few years since I've been here.

Since my absence, I've been expanding my repetoire and I now have a pretty solid routine, done entirely on the street. I've been able to practice at school in some very crowded hallways, even being entirely surrounded at some points (when some people want to see a trick, nothing will stop them, I guess). In any case, I think I've got a routine down to start looking for a job doing this. Sea World San Antonio is having an audition for street performers and magicians and I thought that this might just do the trick. The problem is that they are clear across town for me, and so I figured that I might see if I can do this somewhere else first and get a better offer.
The obvious choice for me was the other theme park in town, Six Flags. Being much closer than Sea World, I think that this would be an ideal spot.

The catch is that they are not exactly looking specifically for street performers. However, an excellent pitch should do the trick, as the atmosphere there is ripe for some walk-around magic.

So, I have a few questions. How do I pitch myself to a company like Six Flags (or anywhere for that matter, as I've never done a pitch like this before)?
Also, how would I start to get ready for an audition to do walk-around magic? How long should it be and what kinds of effects would work best for both of these venues?
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Try for both as if each were your only choice. Don't let them think they're your "second choice."

Across town? Big deal! I wish I only had to go across town. That's just a minor inconvenience. Once you get the job you'll find the means to get there. Bus pass, car pooling with other workers, etc... Don't turn down the opportunity to audition over something so trivial as a few miles.

Unless, what you're really telling us is that you're not ready, then by all means stay home and let the job go to someone else. That way you can sit back and say "They hired him? I could have done better..." Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I'm a bit confused, you do close up magic on the street and this is somehow sort of a 'street' show? If they are looking for Street Magicians, and knowing what they have in LA, it isn't close up but actual street magic they want. Do you have a routine that would be more suitable for a restaurant setting? You know, strolling magic like ol' Blaine does? Either way you have to have a product that the customer, be it six flags or who ever, wants to buy and also how to sell it.

The crossing town shouldn't stop you, a lot of guys move to different cities, states, or countries to pursue the route to where they want to be. If you don't want to cross town, and believe me, I hate crossing town myself, then approach Six Flags. They do have magicians in LA so it isn't something new to the corporation. Good luck.
Steve V
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Alright, perhaps I should explain a little better.

I am currently a high-school student in San Antonio, TX who is doing magic as a hobby. I primarily do card magic on the walk-around at school, but my repetoire also includes items such as Greg Wilson's ReCap and Morgan Strebler's Liquid Metal.

Crossing town isn't preferrable, but I'll do it if I have to.

My questions are all about the pitch. I've nevcr done an audition like this before (I've done music auditions, but never a magic audition), so I want to know how that process goes and what kinds of things I should do to get ready for that.

That's Sea World, Six Flags is a whole other ball game. Currently, I am not sure if they are even looking for a performer for the street. They have the Looney Toons, sure, but as for a magician, I'm not sure. How do I approach them about possibly hiring a magician, much less, me? The same could go for say, Joes Crab shack at the Riverwalk? How do I pitch my act to someone who isn't necessarily looking for a magician?

johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I would say you really need to expand your repitoire (sp?), I really can't see the tricks playing well enough for the size of crowds one could easily gather at place such as sixx flags...my gawd...

I could make so much money at a place like that...where do I sign up???? Sixx flaggs could be a buskers paradise (pair'o dice?)!!!!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
So you do strolling. I say go and give it your best shot and at the very least ASK what you can do to improve your chances to get hired. The person interviewing you may give you valuable insight. I would also suggest you work on some stand up material. Like I said, Six Flags in other places uses magicians. Suggest that you appear as a character or doing walk around in one of the nicer restaurant areas of the park. There are two types of opportunities, ones that open before you and those you make for yourself.
Steve V
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Don't forget our own "Tricky Business" forum. There's information there on marketing yourself to all sorts of venues.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Bush Gardens in Williamsburg, VA sent out something recently, where they were looking for magicians to work the season. Places like that hire magicians all the time. Most people who audition have portfolios, photo's of themselves done by professionals and even short promo DVD's.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm seeing that I may be in a bit over my head, so how would I go about getting a job at a restraunt at, say, the Riverwalk?

kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 21:37, tropicalpenguin wrote:
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm seeing that I may be in a bit over my head, so how would I go about getting a job at a restraunt at, say, the Riverwalk?

Check out the "Table hoppers & party strollers" forum just before this one. it has a lot of good info on getting into the restraunt business.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 00:50, kOnO wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 21:37, tropicalpenguin wrote:

Check out the "Table hoppers & party strollers" forum just before this one. it has a lot of good info on getting into the restaurant business.

kOnO

It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Doing it for pay.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL