The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Getting Started (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I use the johnson cups, the work very well but also have a large price tag.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In the grand scheme of cups, the Johnson brass cups are what would be called "medium priced" cups. Anything above about $400 becomes high-priced. There are almost as many cups currently available in the $400+ price range as there are below that.

Regarding the Thermos Bottle story, allegedly J.B. was suing someone over the rights to the design. The judge allegedly asked, "So, what is it that you actually own?"

"The design of the cup."

"Do you have any patent papers to that effect? Is the design trademarked?"

"Well, uh, no."

"What makes this design unique?"

"Well, it has this curved top, like this, with two rings here and a mouth bead here."

The Judge allegedly reached down, got his thermos bottle, brought out the top and said, "You mean, like this?"

Then he settled in favor of the defendant.

Just two problems with this. One is that the thermos bottle cup doesn't really have all those features. Another is that the person that Jeff was supposedly suing was Jim Sisti. Jim told me that it wasn't him. Bob Farmer says the story is apocryphal.

But it is a good story!

I've been trying to track down one of those cups for about four years. The Thermos bottle cup, I mean. Paul Fox cups are easier to find!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's some more information on the infamous stainless steel "Thermos bottle top." Ironically, the key lies in the only thing that Busby ever really owned -- the trademark. I was looking for the wrong "Trademark." The top in question was the top to the Stanley Super Vac, which was a product that was put out in competition with Thermos. These had a cap/cup that did vaguely resemble a Paul Fox cup. The sides were straight with a curve at the top (which would be the bottom if the cup were sitting mouth upward on a table). The top was flat, not dished in, and there was a rolled mouth bead. There was a spiral bead area that would correspond to the double ring of the Paul Fox cups, except that it went around the cap four times, and was not as prominent. In short, it was significantly different. For me, this also dispels the myth that Paul Fox designed his cup after seeing a Thermos bottle top.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 19:42, Bill Palmer wrote:

Certainly cups are used for drinking...and parts of clothing.

There is an idea for a presentational angle. Do the Cups and Balls with athletic cups. But what would you use for balls?
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-03-22 08:10, Count Lustig wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 19:42, Bill Palmer wrote:

Certainly cups are used for drinking...and parts of clothing.

There is an idea for a presentational angle. Do the Cups and Balls with athletic cups. But what would you use for balls?

Well one regular seller on eEkbay, is constantly selling prosthetic testies. It would only seem natural. I believe his eEbay name is Mojoman. If using athletic cups you would actually be practicing Safe cups and balls.

Now the whole drinking from the cup thing is rather disturbing to say the least.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That reminds me of an old cannibal joke, but I won't repeat it here!

Then there are bra cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
The athletic cups would exclude female magicians from using them, then.Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Getting Started (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL