The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Make your own Boris Wild Marked Deck!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Hi,

Does anyone have experience creating your own MD with a white touch-up pen or - even better - with a correction pen? I will go buy one tomorrow and I would think it is ideal for creating the Boris Wild Cards. I know he uses these stickers, but they seem more of a pain in the a** to use.

What do you think?
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Before embarking on making your own MD I'd suggest that a good investment would be "Marked for Life" from Hermetic Press (authors name escapes me, and I'm at work)

In it you'll find the correct colors to use in both pen and ink.

You'll also find some other options which involve removing ink from the card rather than adding ink to the card.

Before this thread is done, you'll also find a lot of folks who will tell you that a juiced deck is better than a traditional marked deck.

Regardless, there are many more marking systems than the Boris Wild system, some better, some worse, but "Marked for Life" will get you going, and the book isn't very expensive.

The additional item of concern is that the Boris Wild system is a marketed product, developed by Boris Wild.
Copying his marking system, right down to using transfers to make the marks could be viewed as pirating his effect.
With so many other options, you'll likely find something else that works well, and isn't a marketed system.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Naah, I have Boris' book and material. Since I never had the nerves to make a deck - which I will probably try anyway over study break next week - I was brainstorming about other ways to use the system I bought from him. That's very legal and I'm sure Boris is ok with that. Smile

Thanks for the tipp on "Marked For Life", I'll see if I can get it. I also found a couple of threads on which pens work better than others...

-Christof
- - -
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
There's actually an even newer book called "Hidden in Plain Sight" that looks specifically at the BW system as well as the many others mentioned in "Marked for Life". It's kind of an updated version of "Marked for Life," by the same author and with permission from BW to showcase his marking system. I've heard that the pens do not work well to mark the deck, because it's so hard to be uniform in your markings. The scratch on letters are pretty easy to apply, and blend in better with the back design. That's been my experience anyway, perhaps you'll have better luck with the pen. Best of luck!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Bob Farmer wrote "Marked for Life." It's a very good reference, and offers up a number of tips in this area. Also, keep in mind that if you buy Boris' deck, or Ted Lesley's, you've bought the secret that allows you, in essence, to create your own decks based on their thinking. As a matter of fact, I bought the transfers from Houdini's several years back...the ones that Boris uses in his deck.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Thanks for your advice. Just in case - if the scratch on letters do work well - where do you get new supplies from? I wouldn't want to purchase them through BW or a magic shop for obvious reasons. What's the trade name in the U.S. for this kind of product?
- - -
daway0612
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
71 Posts

Profile of daway0612
besides, try marking ur deck with a razor blade.
I use that in my marked deck.
if you want to make a marked deck with bicycle,
I recommend you to put the code system on the birds behind the rider.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
...What's the trade name in the U.S. for this kind of product?

I believe it's called "Letraset". Look in arts n' craft houses, and I think anywhere that you would find drafting supplies.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 23:26, Steve Friedberg wrote:
Bob Farmer wrote "Marked for Life." It's a very good reference, and offers up a number of tips in this area. Also, keep in mind that if you buy Boris' deck, or Ted Lesley's, you've bought the secret that allows you, in essence, to create your own decks based on their thinking. As a matter of fact, I bought the transfers from Houdini's several years back...the ones that Boris uses in his deck.

Kirk Charles wrote "Marked for Life". Some of Bob Farmer's ideas appear in the book, but he didn't author it.
tjo'
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 09:22, Stanyon wrote:
"...I believe it's called 'Letraset.'

That's exactly what I use.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I think daway0612 is talking about a marking system I saw on falsecuts.com.
you can check there and see if they still have it. it's free and easy

good luck

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Thanks, great! I looked at Letraset's website, I think this is most likely what I'm looking for ...

http://www.letraset.com/us/template1a.as......;id=3462

However, can you point me to a more specific set and which font size you are using? How many decks can you make with one set? USD 22 is not that cheap!

-Christof
- - -
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Hey Christof,
I strongly recommend you look into J.J. Sanvert's recent set of dvds. At the very end of vol. 2 he shows you how to make an invisible, erasable, marked deck using a pen. Its actually a wonderful idea and even Mr. Sanvert states that the method which he tips could be the most valuable idea on his set.

Madhattermagic was recently selling his dvds for 14 dollars a piece. Not sure if that special is still going on, but you should definitely check it out.

Good luck!
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
In case you decide to try the "pen" method, Lee Asher used to sell a pen that wrote in white..I don't know if he still has them but you could always ask him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Make your own Boris Wild Marked Deck!? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL