The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Working Update and Advice Requested (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Gentleman (and the few ladies who may be lurking), you may (or may not) remember a few(5) months back or so I posted in regards to the fact that I had started a waiter position at Ruby Tuesdays as a second job, A. for the money, and B. to work on my routining and real life performing.

Well, I must say, my magic, more specifically presentation, has grown in leaps and bounds, and I've found my REAL performing personality that can only come from actually getting out there and performing for real people who have no clue who you are.

I'm still at Ruby's and performing for my tables every night that I work. Now, at least twice a night I get asked for a buisness card or contact information. I've also recieved specific requests to perform for parties later in the year, and I have not only repeat customers, but many that come in and request my section just from word of mouth.
I can hear you now. WTF are you still working as a waiter for? That is exactly why I am writing this thread(and thanks for those that read through all of this, I think maybe just the writing of it will be therapy in itself) Maybe you guys can help convince me (via personal experience or whatever) to "get a haircut and get a real job". Here's the thing. Currently my very solid Routine I perform for every (10yr old +) table is in the following order:
Starting with some fancy hand work, cuts shuffles and springs, I do a lovely pick a card lose a card, ending with a hot shot cut as the reveal. Always kills any doubt as to whether they want to continue watching.
I then use the card they selected for a extremely well rounded(based on my performance of it anyway) ACR. (4 pieces) 1. Magician Card to middle and comes to top. 2. Spectator card to middle, spectator brings it to top. 3. Explanation (false) suprise ending with boomerang card change 4. Braue Pop up.
I finish the routine off with a fantastic Translocation of their signed card and another that absolutely kills them.
Total time can be anywhere from 3-10 minutes. I know that is a large variation in time. But being a waiter, sometimes you only have 3 minutes, and have made it work very well either way. Now, for repeats, or bonus effects for special guests or if we have a lot of time I pull out the ID for a real ride.
What about the kids? I pull out the D'Lights, I could do them all night and they'd still want more. I also do a downs palm quarter production, some knuckle dancing, then a vanish, a reappearance and finally a change into a little superball the kid gets to keep.
Now, I know a LARGE number of other effects I've managed to string together for repeat guests and what not...but I don't FEEL the solidity with them as I do with my main routine. AND THAT boys and girls is why I TELL myself I haven't printed any actual buisness cards and sought an actual restaurant magician job (Ruby's won't do it. GM says yes, RM says yes, Corporate says no :/ )

So it comes to this. Is this in my head? Should I just shut up and go do it? I know your answer already...hell I know MY answer...let's put it this way...if my Ruby's would pay me as a table hopper I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Has anyone out there been in a similar situation where you just had to overcome this false mental block? Or IS IT that I'm not ready? I know my routines above involve just about all cards (and I'm working on a BIT of a stray from it with a few effects) but I have to be honest...I'm DAYUM entertaining with a deck of cards, and I think I've honestly had only 1 BAD experience (that I won't go into in this thread) with guests just completely not caring I was there.

Anyways. That's all for now. Your insight and input are greatly appreciated. Hell, thanks just for reading all of it.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Let me say this.

As I remember you started doing magic to be the best server you table could get.

THIS is a good thing.This is how you do any job. Your work ethic is going to spill over into magic as well. This agian is a good thing. After all it is a business.

I personally think you will be fine. You seem to know people and most of what magic and performance is about is people.

Good Luck!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Actually I've been at magic for about 4 years now. I'm the Black Tiger Deck creator Mike Kelley that people either rag on me or love me for:) I chose the waiter postion as a second job as I thought it'd give me the opportunity to work on my magic so that I could break into the table hopping world and hone the chops, yet still making real money at the same time. Thanks Danny:) I appreciate the encouragement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Then if you created that deck indeed I take back what I said !!!!!LOL
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
LOL Lets keepem above the belt gentleman:)
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
Mike you are ready.
You are already doing a routine that is as long as need be for a table hopping gig but you are doing it as a waiter.
Do the same thing but do it as a magician. The effects are the same, the persona is not.
Check with some smaller Café's or coffee houses. Tell them that you are an aspiring magician working on your routines and looking for the opportunity to perform.
Get them to post a little notice saying something like XYZ's Magician at Large Mike Kelley will be available to entertian you this _______ night. Come in and be amazed!
Put up the notice a week ahead and show up to do exactly what you are doing right now.
Work for free - work for money - work for tips whatever but just step across the invisable line you've put there.
No pressure - just some time - but it is time to let the magician loose!
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
"AND THAT boys and girls is why I TELL myself I haven't printed any actual buisness cards and sought an actual restaurant magician job (Ruby's won't do it. GM says yes, RM says yes, Corporate says no :/ )"

Are you certain that NATIONWIDE there are no other Magical Entertainers in Ruby Tuesday's?

For your specific restaurant,I would think that Corporate might not want ot sign off on this because they have YOU ..basically entertaining for free.I mean no offence by my comments.
I do think that if you are a waiter who performs magic..well that's OK.

However,the day may come when you realize you can 'cut the cord' and I do think you will love being an entertainer without the burden of having to be a food server at the same time.I wish you the very best.

Rich
Olszanski
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Olszanski
Mike,
I've been fortunate enough to see your work and hear your patter. It has been refreshing to see your enthusiasm as well. I'm going to side on the opinions of some of the others -- in Paleo's words "cut the cord"! I look foward to hearing about your first leap-of-faith! It might give me more courage to do the same!
Tony
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Mike,

Based on the enthusiasm and the reactions you're getting, it sounds like you are ready. For full time restaurant work, however, you are going to need to have a larger set of effects than what you just listed. Don't worry. That won't be hard - it just takes a little time and money.

Good Luck!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Working Update and Advice Requested (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL