The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Bill Malone ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gordonmj
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of gordonmj
Is Bill Malone planning any more DVD's?
booya!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why not as L&L publishing. They did the first ones didn't they?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I love the way Bill Malone does his magic. I hope we will see more DVD's coming soon.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I was watching the Comedy Network yesterday (the program was called Comedy Club 54). At one point the comedian looks at a lady in the audience and says, "You're looking at me aren't you? You want me don't you?" I thought, "Hey, that's one of Malone's lines".

The act continues, and he says two or three more lines from Malone's dvd. I began to wonder if these lines were standard fare among comedians and entertainers. So I began to listen for one more line in particular from Bill's act, the one where he says to a guy, "That's a nice shirt you're wearing; you should keep wearing it, someday it's gonna come back in style."

I couldn't believe my ears when this guy's act was about to finish - sure enough, he used that exact line!

I'm figuring he must have seen Malone's dvd and "borrowed" all of his good lines. Now, it's one thing for some no-name magician to be doing Malone's lines in a restaurant or local party, but for a comedian to using them on national television?

On the other hand, maybe Bill Malone saw this guy perform at Club 54, just down the block from his hotel! Smile

Brian
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-03-31 17:45, Brian Lehr wrote:
Now, it's one thing for some no-name magician to be doing Malone's lines in a restaurant or local party, but for a comedian to using them on national television?

Brian

I don't understand the distinction: either way (party or TV) you'd be an unoriginal scumbag ripping someone off. I've often wondered why so many magicians are just the equivalent of a cover band. Is there that little pride, or creativity, left in the world?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2006-03-31 19:01, bitterman wrote:
Quote:
Now, it's one thing for some no-name magician to be doing Malone's lines in a restaurant or local party, but for a comedian to using them on national television?

Brian

I don't understand the distinction: either way (party or TV) you'd be an unoriginal scumbag ripping someone off. I've often wondered why so many magicians are just the equivalent of a cover band. Is there that little pride, or creativity, left in the world?

I agree. My point in saying what I did was not to justify one person stealing Malone's lines over someone else, the point was that the well-known entertainer makes it obvious that he is doing something ethically wrong, while the no-name guy is able to keep his wrongdoings to himself (relatively speaking). However, both are still "unoriginal scumbags ripping someone off".

Brian
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
The King of rip off comedy??? Milton Berle. He was the one that brought it to the art form it is. I don't think it is a rip off when someone uses someone else's material, as long as it is not the complete act. We all, well I guess I should say,some of us use other's material and I have no problem with that as long as they have the rights to use the effect or act. I think I saw that show also because I remember the line about the guys shirt. I did not know it was from a magician though. I am not sure why it is ok for one type of performer to use the lines and not ok for oters. The magician in the resturant compared to the comedian,I don't see the difference. Just my 2 cents here.

Steven
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
Quote:
the comedian looks at a lady in the audience and says, "You're looking at me aren't you? You want me don't you?".........he says two or three more lines from Malone's dvd. one..line in particular from Bill's act, "That's a nice shirt you're wearing; you should keep wearing it, someday it's gonna come back in style."

Brian

Brian,

I didn't see the show that you mentioned, however, the two jokes that you quoted have been around for a long, long time. I've been performing comedy since the early 70's and these bits were being used way back then. Before we all jump on the "defend Bill Malone" bandwagon, please keep in mind that Mr. Malone is known as a great close-up magician who says funny things. He is not known as a comedian. There is a difference.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-04-02 21:16, StevenMT wrote:
...I don't think it is a rip off when someone uses someone else's material, as long as it is not the complete act...
Steven

If you are using someone else material that you did not pay them for the right to perform live or on tape, you are ripping them off. Write your own stuff, pay someone to write it for you or find another line of work. The amount of magicians just copping other people's jokes is sickening. I think it has something to do with the odd nature of magic to begin with, where it's perfectly normal to perform someone else's tricks and so it seems natural to use their patter as well. Again, it's that 'cover band' mentality that seems to hang over a lot of magicians.

tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
The myth that Milton Berle ripped off other performers is just that a myth. And not to burst your bubble but Jack Benny was not really a cheapskate.

Lifting a line or two is still stealing. I was amazed, and not a good way, how many comics would use my material, they felt it was ok to steal from a magician…. very sad.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
There is another myth about Uncle Milty that I have, on good authority, was very much true. A rather large myth...

Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Milton Berle did not really rip off other performers. That was merely part of the role he played as a performer. The same is true of Jack Benny's cheapskate persona. It was all part of the act. Milton Berle was one of the nicest people you could hope to meet.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
I am new to comedy magic, but I have been thinking a lot about taking lines from other performers. In the world of standup comedy using someone else's material earns you the reputation of being a "hack." In magic it's almost second nature. The first line I heard as a teenager was,"Hold out your hand. No the clean one."

Gazzo has a book on lines he uses on the street. He is quick to warn us though that these lines "may not work for you." Michael Finney's DVDs have been recommended in this forum as good comedy magic. I agree, but listen carefully when he says,"I want you to use my tricks, but don't use my lines." I don't think Finney is being protective of his material. I really feel he is genuinely telling us that our act will be better if we use our own material.

Gazzo and Finney fail to explain, however, why these lines may not work in our show. Steve Allen's book How To Be Funny is also recommended in this forum as a resource for developing your comedy, but I personally like Judy Carter's "Stand-Up Comedy, The Book. Carter relates the story of how one blue-eyed teenager memorized Bill Cosby's entire act at at fund raiser and how horribly he bombed. Why? He lacked Cosby's personna. It's the personna that sells the comedy and this is something you can't "borrow."

Have I used other magician's lines? Guilty, guilty, guilty as charged! But I want to take the next step to developing originality into my act. This takes work. Writing my own material!?

Steve Royce has also been recommended in this forum. I get e-mails from him, but have not yet purchased his training course. Both Royce and Carter recommend getting a "comedy buddy." Trying funny lines on relatives is not recommended. I would like to get a comedy buddy and doing the exercises in Carter's book. If you are interested in taking a test towards originality with me, send me a personal message.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
You are on the right track Magic Junkie. Also, if your local comedy club has open mike nights, that would be a good place to find a writing partner.

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
I was watching the Comedy Network yesterday (the program was called Comedy Club 54). At one point the comedian looks at a lady in the audience and says, "You're looking at me aren't you? You want me don't you?" I thought, "Hey, that's one of Malone's lines".

The act continues, and he says two or three more lines from Malone's dvd. I began to wonder if these lines were standard fare among comedians and entertainers. So I began to listen for one more line in particular from Bill's act, the one where he says to a guy, "That's a nice shirt you're wearing; you should keep wearing it, someday it's gonna come back in style."

I couldn't believe my ears when this guy's act was about to finish - sure enough, he used that exact line!

I'm figuring he must have seen Malone's dvd and "borrowed" all of his good lines. Now, it's one thing for some no-name magician to be doing Malone's lines in a restaurant or local party, but for a comedian to using them on national television?

On the other hand, maybe Bill Malone saw this guy perform at Club 54, just down the block from his hotel! Smile

Brian

Maybe the guy figured; "I'm a standup, he's a magician, there's not going to be any crossover."

I saw a movie once that was so bad, the only two funny lines were lifted from old Marx Bros. movies!

The line about the shirt reminded me of a line from the old cartoon "Animaniacs." They're at a party and Dot looks over and spots Joel Schumacer.

DOT: Oh! Joel Schumacer! I've seen all your films. You should keep making them. One of them is bound to be good!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
A comment to add to the use of 'Bill Malone's lines'..... I doubt very much these lines originated with Mr. Malone and I suspect he, in turn, happily 'stole '...or rather 'borrowed' them from someone else....I do concede that because at least 3 lines from a dvd were used by a performer in one public appearance, it strongly suggests a habit from the comedian of such borrowing and a lack of originality. But just how did a comedian get hold of a magic video?? Aren't the dealers very cautious about who they sell these to??!! (written sarcastically!) In my opinion, any lines or effects that are put out by someone in a commercially available teaching video become the property of the purchaser. The originality comes with adding other bits, leaving out bits and adapting patter and actions to one's own personality.
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
A comment to add to the use of 'Bill Malone's lines'..... I doubt very much these lines originated with Mr. Malone and I suspect he, in turn, happily 'stole '...or rather 'borrowed' them from someone else....I do concede that because at least 3 lines from a dvd were used by a performer in one public appearance, it strongly suggests a habit from the comedian of such borrowing and a lack of originality. But just how did a comedian get hold of a magic video?? Aren't the dealers very cautious about who they sell these to??!! (written sarcastically!) In my opinion, any lines or effects that are put out by someone in a commercially available teaching video become the property of the purchaser. The originality comes with adding other bits, leaving out bits and adapting patter and actions to one's own personality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Bill Malone ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL