The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » How do I safely display a pencil signature? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Hey all,

I was recently fortunate enough to aquire an authentic signature of HOUDINI! What I have is a simple signed page. I want to display it, of course, but:

1) How do I frame and mat this without permanently affixing it to anything? I'd like to frame it together with a picture of Houdini, but how do I make the page stay in it's place (safely, of course!)?

2) Will light harm this signature over time (it's signed in black pencil)?

I build everything I use in my show but preserving an important document is a totally new area to me. Thanks for all responses!

Phil
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I have a autographed photo of Alan Alan, and it is matted with a clipped letterhead. This can be done by any reputable framer in your area. For several items I've had professionally framed, I chose a frame that suited the image. Any matting should be neutral, and be a good mate for the frame - together they should draw attention to the item(s) they protect.
Now, acid free backing (usually foam core)is important to ask for, as it protects the back of the paper, which is between the backing and the matt (I know - duh!)its being acid free isn't always automatic. The purpose of the (front) matting is to keep a small layer of space between the item and the glass. My 'Great Bruce' handbill (1927) does not have any matting, as I felt it looked better without. Personal choice, but they will try to convince you that a matt is nessecary, and for single items it isn't. The glass should be non reflective, and a UV coating should protect the item from direct sunlight. If you are going to proudly display this (and you should be proud!) decide now where it will go up and get the frame and matt to complement the wall.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
There are TONS of fake Houdini signatures out there on sheets of paper. Before too much time passes, you may want to ask a Houdini expert to look at your signature to gen an opinion on its authenticity. Not trying to rain on your parade, but fake Houdini sigs are almost as plentiful as the real ones, and his signature is by far the most common of any magician's in the world. Clay
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
I photocopy my autographs and display the copies so they don't fade.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
OOOH! That's a great idea!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » How do I safely display a pencil signature? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL