The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Broadcast messages, not advertisements, please! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I was very surprised to open my latest "private message" and find a Broadcast Message from Steve Brooks -- which turned out to be a "50% Off" advertisement for Aaron Smith's Magic Depot Internet website.

I know the Café' needs advertising revenue to exist. But there are already plenty of click-on ads for those who want to view and patronize them, and they aren't all that intrusive. An ad sent by the Broadcast Message function is intrusive, in my view. The Broadcast Message function should be used to send out messages, not advertisements. When used for the latter purpose, it's nothing more than a SPAM generator, in my opinion.

Mr. Smith is a good businessman and runs a great website. Let him pay the going rate and advertise on the Café' like any other business. But leave the Broadcast Messages for real messages. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Well, if your Café membership was a paid one, I think you would have more of a reason to take issue with this. Right now, it's Steve's site and he offers the use of it to us for free. If a PM with notice of a sale pops up in my inbox every now and then, I think that is a small price to pay for the use of this website.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Danny, you beat me. If I have to get 20 PM's everyday that are ads, I'll take them and keep the Café free! (Of course I think a small yearly fee wouldn't be too much to take either, but I know Steve is against it.)

Dave
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Remember, too, members can delete broadcast messages with a single click ...
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
sethb said; "An ad sent by the Broadcast Message function is intrusive, in my view. The Broadcast Message function should be used to send out messages, not advertisements. When used for the latter purpose, it's nothing more than a SPAM generator, in my opinion"

Sethb, I'm sorry that the broadcast message I sent out a few hours ago was a an inconvenience for you. Most folks would simply use the delete function which we provide for those who wish to get rid of such messages.
However, it should be noted that our Café rules and etiquette clearly discuss the occurrence of such messages. In case you missed that paragraph, I'll post it here:

-------------------------------------------
SPECIAL NOTE: Occasionally members may receive announcements or special offers via private message from The Magic Café and its sponsors, or The Magic Bakery regarding magical products or events which we feel may be of interest to our magical members. This is a small price to pay for free access to such a great resource such as The Magic Café. Besides, if the message does not interest you, delete it. Smile
-------------------------------------------

Since each member of our Café community agrees to follow our rules and policies upon joining our magical community, I am surprised that receiving such a private message would come as a surprise to any of our membership.

sethb said; "Mr. Smith is a good businessman and runs a great website. Let him pay the going rate and advertise on the Café' like any other business"

As a matter of fact, Aaron Smith IS one of our Café sponsors. Smile

I appreciate you bringing this issue to my attention and I sincerely hope that you now have a better understanding of the situation. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Broadcast messages, not advertisements, please! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL