The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Remember the $1.99 dummys? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Hello..... Remember the $1.99 dummys in the back of comics? I have both styles they sold...One was a clown and one was a boy... Both were about 12 inches tall and you had to stuff them with tissue.... really cheep .... This would be in the late 70's . Anyone know who made them ...no info on the dummys. and I threw away the package ...they came in a carded bag.... I'm guessing they were made in china..... I would love to find a warehouse full of them and buy them all....and start running adds again....
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What were the heads made of?

They used to have TINY Tea Cup Poodles and Chihuaas (or how ever you spell it) in ads too and Monkeys! You could get a Squirel Monkey from a comic book ad for a couple of bucks.

Charles Atlas is still selling that Muscle 'course (google it) and they have an active Forum!

There was Clover Brand Salve that used to pump the kids to sell it door to door...(I did!) to win BIG Prizes.

I only got one thing I can remember...I think it was a dollar...a SUBMARINE! Turns out it was a cardboard box with a picture of a sub on it that you sat in...there was a cardboard periscope that came with it...but you had to put it together...it was just a small mirror and a tube. hahaha. I have a lot of old comics around, I'll have to look in the backs and re-live those silly days.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
The head was very thin plastic..... it had a small head post and a string to close the mouth... not open it....
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Just think how many pros it started on the road!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I built a shine for mine ......
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Wow nobody remembers these ? I would love to find the add from and old catalogue.... I did a web search and came up with nothing..
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
226 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
Was that the old Johnson-smith novelty catalog company? I did a yahoo search and found the company but nothing listed for "ventriloquist". I recall alsways seeing the ads as well.
http://www.johnsonsmith.com/

Chris Johnson
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Hello I have become obsessed with these dummy and I want to manufacture them again.... I have spent 3 days surfing the web for any info on the subject...no luck .... I even e mail johnsonsmith about it .. ... How much would people pay for one today? I think $5.00 would be a good selling price depending on how much they cost me to make.....what do you think ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Remember the $1.99 dummys? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL