The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What and Where is this Card Change? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
At a workshop, I saw a guy showing some participants a move during a break. He would hold the card vertically by the diagnal corners with the thumb and forefinger, rotate the card, and it would change to another card. Very visual! Anybody know what I was seeing and where I can find it?

Thanks--

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Very possibly it was by Dan Garrett. Published in Trapdoor Magazine.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
He performs it in his Close-up connivery video (now in DVD) too.

It has been shown many times in video clips of some of the flourishers in the "pasteboard frolics" forum, too. You could ask there.
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Might also be Marlo's Miracle Change.

Matt Field
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Actually that Garret change isn't Garrets, he is only the one that popularized it to American magicians.....

Anyway, yes if it was one handed it sounds like that move.... very pretty and can be done with both hands ala Armando as well.

There is also some nice work to use it as in Phoenix aces, to make many cards appear one at a time.

I think Chris (can't remember last name) working in Vegas has a nice routine where you produce 3 aces, then a joker, then one handed it changes from joker to last ace(and you are one ahead for whatever routine you want), all one handed and using variants of this move.

It's basically a lot of freaky Tenkai/lateral work (and popping from lateral to diagonal grip)... a lot of material to digest if you look down this route, the family of moves (switches, changes, productions, everything) make up a healthy part of my favorite moves...
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Who is the one who created the move? (I had heard another name associated with it, as well). Do you know?

Brad
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Steranko! (And) yes it's based upon the "lateral palm".

Sean
magiCAD
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
166 Posts

Profile of magiCAD
Quote:
On 2006-03-30 04:01, Daegs wrote:
...I think Chris (can't remember last name) working in Vegas has a nice routine where you produce 3 aces, then a joker, then one handed it changes from joker to last ace (and you are one ahead for whatever routine you want), all one handed and using variants of this move...

I believe you are talking about Chris Randall.
-Rich
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Magic h2os,

While I am sure Steranko explored similar ideas, the name associated with this change (other than Garrett's) was not his. ANyone else know?
(I know Vladimer Mikek did a lot of work with this type of move, but I do not think that was the name either.)
Brad
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Sent a pm as history is a lengthy topic imho,

and yes I thought was Chris Randall(that was what I was thinking), but chris is a rather young guy, and I thought randall was the name of the older gent who went on lettermen recently and other late night shows...

are they both randall's, related or something?

When I typed out randall the image of the guy on lettermen popped in my head so I thought I had the name wrong...
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
I believe Ross Bertram had work on this. It sounds just like a change of his. Name escapes me at the moment, though.

-Karl
dannyhaze
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dannyhaze
This color change can be found in videos from Ellusionist. I believe you can learn it on Ninja 1 or Ninja 2.
Art-Fantasy
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
169 Posts

Profile of Art-Fantasy
HAs anyone thought that it could be "Relativity change" by Arthur Trace? It could be based on description or maybe even betram change.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
How about Marc DeSouza's "Shapeshifter" found in his excellent book DeSouza's Deceptions.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
beaker
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of beaker
Sounds like Shapeshifter to me as well.

Beaker
delta
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of delta
In shapeshifter the card isn't hold vertically
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
If you meant that the rotating of the card was not "visible" but used as the method for making the card to change, then its probably the pirouette change.

If you mean a one handed where the card is rotated between the fingers before the change(and shown to have a back), then this is probably the "swivel" change which was, as mentioned, popularized by Garret.

I might have misinterpreted the "rotate" when I first answered...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you count (slowly) to 100, it will probably be offered as a free penquin download as one of their new killer kool tricks.

or did they already steal this one?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Armando Lucero
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Armando Lucero
There are experts who work often but are not so well known to the magic community. Some of them have such highly developed skills and creativity that they would impress many of us into thinking they came from another planet. Paul David (known also as Cecil Jones) is such an individual. Approximately 35 years ago while in high school Paul David created a one-handed swivel change. A Peter Studebaker was fortunate enough to bare witness to this creation. Paul then showed this effect to Baltazar Furentes who in turn showed it to Dan Garret. In 1982, Paul performed it for me in slow motion about 5 inches from my face and it was pure magic. He also executed multiple variations such as… The two-handed swivel change, two-handed card productions, front and back color transpositions, color change plus clean up, and the list goes on. In fact, he was so thorough in his variations that there was little for others to embellish on. As with many of Paul’s creations this subterfuge was never published, not by Paul.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Armando great ot have you posting here on the Café welcome
hope to see you at the Magic Castle performing ...
vinny
the godfather of magic
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What and Where is this Card Change? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL