The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless Mics-Single Antenna Vs. Diversity-Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Hey Everyone-
I know the topic of wireless mics has been talked about on here numerous times. However, I have a specific question that I cannot seem to find an answer to. Recently, I bought a Fender Passport 150 sound system for my shows. I am now ready to buy a wireless mic system (I want to go with a headset model). From my research, I have found that Shure seems to be the best brand to go with. It also seems that diversity receivers are the way to go vs. single antenna systems. However, I am in a dilemma. I can afford a Shure single antenna system, but not a diversity system (the PGX's are way out of my price range of about $200-250 MAX). However, I can afford diversity systems from lower-priced brands like Nady and Samson. Would it be better to stick with the best brand, Shure, and get a single antenna system, or go with a cheaper brand and get the diversity system? Also, from research it seems that a UHF receiver is better than a VHF receiver, and the Shure model(s) I am looking at is VHF--is this a problem? Thanks so much everyone in advance for all of your help. I am really clueless about all of this techincal sound lingo and I really appreciate any help I can get!
Magically,
Michael Platt
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hello, Michael!
1) In my opinion, do not buy a non-diversity (single antenna) system. The improved performance of diversity is WAY worth the money.
2) I strongly recommend a scanning system, meaning one that is capable of finding an "interference-free" frequency, and I've only seen scanning systems in UHF. I have seen NO other wireless system that is as easy to scan & program as Shure PGX, and since I recommend scanning before every sound check and before every set, this is a big deal to me.
3) What brand is "BEST" is impossible to say, because most brands have a pretty wide range of products within their brand. You can, however, try to make a very good choice within a particular price range. While many brands make perfectly credible products, Shure's service network (in Canada & America) is unsurpassed. That's one of only several factors worth consideration, but always weighs heavily in any of my audio purchases.
4) Based upon my first three points, I suggest waiting until you can afford the Shure PGX. It's a wonderful system that will meet the needs of most magicians except full-timers.
5) Finally, check out http://www.MagicRoadie.com for LOTS of free, factual, almost opinion-free help with wireless mic systems, as well as other audio, lighting and eneral stage stuff.

Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Great advice, Don. This is why I didn't weigh in! I was waiting for you to respond.

It's great to have you sharing your wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for all that you add to The Magic Café!

Michael
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Mr. McLean-
Thanks so much for your information. I checked out your website and it is really great! I really want to get a Shure PGX, but it is just so far out of my budget. Do you know of any cheaper diversity systems that still function well? I was also looking at mics such as this Nady Diversity UHF mic-http://nady.com/uhf3_pg.html or a Samson Diversity system like this one http://www.samsontech.com/products/produ......randID=1 Another question I have is that some systems I have been looking at (on ebay, etc.) are guitar transmitters. Is a guitar transmitter the same thing as a beltpack transmitter without a microphone? Could I buy a system with a guitar transmitter and then buy a headset microphone and plug it into it? I really, really appreciate the great advice! Thanks so much!
-Michael
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I got a wireless handheld sennheiser 100 series g2 w/diversity receiver for about $350 on ebay. It's a b-stock item which just meant it was an open returned item to sennheiser. It's brand new, works awesome and saved me about $250 on what would have been comparable in a shure. There are a lot of mic sales on ebay, just make sure it's a reputable seller. There are always people debating whether sennheiser or shure is better and it seems there is no real answer on that one. I own one of each and am very happy with both.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2006-04-04 19:38, BaseballMagic wrote:
Mr. McLean-
Thanks so much for your information. I checked out your website and it is really great!

You're welcome, Michael, and THANKS!

Quote:
I really want to get a Shure PGX, but it is just so far out of my budget. Do you know of any cheaper diversity systems that still function well?

For someone with your rather impressive credentials, and with your bright future in magic, I won't recommend anything less than the Shure PGX. Something less may suffice, but the quality, ease of scanning & programming, and serviceability are unmatched by lesser systems. You deserve better, and in my opinion, you're better off saving for PGX or better. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's my 2¢.

Quote:
Another question I have is that some systems I have been looking at (on ebay, etc.) are guitar transmitters. Is a guitar transmitter the same thing as a beltpack transmitter without a microphone? Could I buy a system with a guitar transmitter and then buy a headset microphone and plug it into it?

In many cases, yes, you can buy a lav or guitar system and and a separate headet, and plug the two together. Sometimes though, especially with inexpensive systems, the mic or guitar cable doesn't detatch. Also, you need to be sure that the new headset's connector & wiring work with your beltpack. You may have to pay someone to change connectors or re-wire it for you. Know that two items of different brands with the same connector are not likely wired the same, so re-wiring if often necessary.
Dan McLean Jr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless Mics-Single Antenna Vs. Diversity-Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL