The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fist time on streets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

troy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of troy
Hi all I did my first show on the streets of oxford today I did a 15 min show and ended up with a hat of 20 pound is this good or bad for a first time show. any advice I would greatly appreciate. I did cups and balls and closed with a straight jacket there was a lot of bands playing there so I had to shout real loud and was competing with them for the crownd I have lost my voice now so I couldn't do another show maybe I will in the week

troy
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
If you are in a country where the currency is the pound it is very good. If they put something in that weighed 20 pounds, bricks for example, then no, it wasn't good.
Steve V
troy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of troy
Hi steve thankfully I am in a country where thay do use the pound I'm in sunny england uk. I'm really glad you think I have done well it means a lot, to be honest with you I thought it might have been rubish and my new future as a street preformer was over before it started thank you for takeing the time to reply any more advice from the rest of you full time profesionals would be greatly appreciated. troy
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Troy
Keep on keeping on.
£20 is better than a kick in the teath.
I do cups and balls and close with a straight jacket it works well for me.
I use a long chain as well on the outside of the jacket.
I intend to visit Oxford shortly so if I am in town we can hook up.
What C & B routeen do you do?

Are the bands using PA and why cant you find a qwiter spot?
There is no licence reqwired in Oxford and that I think is a good thing.
Just to let you know I am running a school of busking at the end of June if your interested.
Mario
troy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of troy
Thanks mario I appreciate your advice and thank you for your time in writeing a reply
your school of busking sounds awsome we have spoke on the phone not so long ago I am the guy who spoke to peter wardell and he recomended to speak to you as I am origanally from cardiff I am useing the cups and balls routine that is on peters dvd but I have thrown in a few other things but the bulk of it is bassed on that I am comeing to cardiff next weekend not to busk just to meet family when are you in oxford it would be great to see you preform I know I would lern a lot from you.

troy
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Got no fixed plans as such, but I do have a wish list of City's I like to hit this year.
Just got my self a camper so it could be any time, as the wind blows.
I have not decided but I may work Cardiff all Bath this weekend.

How big was your pitch and did the band use PA?
Mario
PS You may want to slow down a bit a work on building the show at this time, don't worry about the hat so much.
PPS Do you wan to book your place now?
troy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of troy
That's good advice thank you I wount book a place at the moment as short on funds. yes the bands was useing a pa the was proper drowning me out I would say I had about 40 people the most difficult thing I found was keeping the crowd at the end quite a few just walked off I need better crowd management I think. if you work cardiff weekend let us know I'm sure that there is more people on here than me who wouldnt mind seeing you preform if thay are up in sunny wales. there was a lot of preformers in oxford today not much space to move couldn't really get a spot away from a band or statue people just standing there in a painted suit doing nothing any old mug could do that but that is just my opinion I'm sure there is a lot more in it than that
troy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of troy
That's good advice thank you I wount book a place at the moment as short on funds. yes the bands was useing a pa the was proper drowning me out I would say I had about 40 people the most difficult thing I found was keeping the crowd at the end quite a few just walked off I need better crowd management I think. if you work cardiff weekend let us know I'm sure that there is more people on here than me who wouldnt mind seeing you preform if thay are up in sunny wales. there was a lot of preformers in oxford today not much space to move couldn't really get a spot away from a band or statue people just standing there in a painted suit doing nothing any old mug could do that but that is just my opinion I'm sure there is a lot more in it than that
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Any old mug could, but make money well hats off to them.

Whar kind of band was it, let me guess pam bloody pipes?

Hay pm me and I will do you a deal on the cause.
M
troy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of troy
Ok cheers mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Troy
I have been sorting my van out this week and It is ready to hit the road.
As this happens I have decided to Work Bath this weekend, it will be good touching base with the Buskers down there, I am off tonight. I should be back Sunday night if your still around.

I am chuffed I just sigend a contract for Enidburgh Fringe 2006 for tow weeks of shows. I will be busking as well.

I am glad you booked your self on the cause it will be a good time.
Mario Smile
troy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of troy
That's cool mario maybee one day I get a contract like that. how was bath you have a good weekend down there? cant wait to get on the course really looking forward to it cheque is winging its way to as we speak. I think the course will benifit me so much well I don't think I know it will. for any one else reading this woundering what the hell I'm talking about mario is holding a busking course just visit http://www.fathatmagic.co.uk and click in top left corner of page and you can read about it there..........

troy
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks Troy
I surpose most Americans don't know what I we are taliking about.
Bath that is Hard work, bloody hard work 5am to get in line for a pitch.
Skate naked work it and Dominick they juggerlers and accrobats.

Three day sleeping in a car-park and I was ready to come home.
I am off to British Juggerling Convention where I will be selling some magic this week.
Mario
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I will NEVER stand in line for a pitch NEVER!
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Is 'chuffed' good?
Steve V
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 13:08, Steve V wrote:
Is 'chuffed' good?
Steve V

chuffed adj. Someone who describes themselves as being chuffed is generally happy with life. You can also get away with saying you are unchuffed or dischuffed if something gets your back up. Make sure you only use this word in the correct tense and familiarize yourself with the meaning of the word chuff too, since it sometimes it can also mean "fart."
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Tedb that’s great but on the other hand you will never work some of the worlds best circle pitches all street festivals, never.
In some cities you won’t be able to work at all. It is normal practice to work some of the circles shows by getting in line by a hat draw all somthing simalar.
I say never say never.
I prefer to work a pitch on my own but I will stand in line for a pitch no probs.
Actually you stick your card in the fence to secure your spot the earliest you can do that is 5am I wanted to be first so I made it at that time and was first.
Mario
PS Have you guys in America heared of the Edinburgh Firnge Festival?
http://www.edfringe.com
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Not only do we know of the festival I've actually known people who have performed there! They did say the food made them chuff.
Steve V <---family left the UK for freedom of busking
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Chuff we say guffed.
Mario
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 14:26, Mario Morris wrote:
PS Have you guys in America heared of the Edinburgh Firnge Festival?
http://www.edfringe.com

Oh yes! My wife performed there a few years ago as a dancer at a venue known as "The Garage." I've never been there myself though. Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fist time on streets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL