The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Using a Spotlight and Possibly a Flash Appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Would this be reccomended for someone doing a sub trunk. Flash appearance will be used first to appear of course. then possibly a spotlight for the rest of the show. what are the pros and cons of using a spotlight.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of the real advantages and/or disadvantages of a spot light is that it focuses the attention of the audience to a given area. Make sure that the lighting crew knows where you want the focus and when.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Spotlights are effective for drawing the audiences attention to a particular area of the stage, however, you must rely on the operator to follow you and not miss a cue. I try to use light specials in place of the spots so there is room for less error during the show.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2006-04-09 07:44, The Donster wrote:(in part) "then possibly a spotlight for the rest of the show."

You do not want to use a spot for a complete show. Unless your show (act) is only a few minutes long. A spot is used to showcase the performance as he/she works in one. As mention above in another post, to bring focus to an area or performer. If the whole show is done in a spot then it shows that you have no idea what you are doing as stagecraft.

Go to the library or bookstore and get some books on stagecraft and theater. Sounds like you are just starting out in magic. Do some home work first and you will be surprise at how little simple things will enhance your program.

While you are at it, make sure you read up on lighting effects and their placements. You can ask all the questions that you like here on the café, but it still comes down to the fact that as a person who is trying to become a performer you must takes steps to find things out on your own.

I realize that this is the generation of tell me what to do. I am too lazy to look things up myself. To prove my point just look around the café and read some of the question that are posted. Take some theater courses at your local community college and maybe get involved in a play.

Believe it or not, there are methods on using a spot! Learn them….

You have some homework now!

Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Using a Spotlight and Possibly a Flash Appearance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL