The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anybody using A Z Fold Wallet? (I Need Some Advice) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have a Z fold wallet, and I know Ammar highly touts this, but I don't use the wallet much because I can't quite get over this little glitch: if I perform an effect, and I am using cards that have to be placed back in the wallet to be switched for an examinable set of dupes, what possible motivation can I offer for putting the cards BACK in the wallet before I take them out again a moment later?? There has to be some LOGICAL reason for doing this, or else it will just be a huge problem.

Any ideas from anyone here with experience in this?

Thanks!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey daffy,

I use the z fold in conjuction (or to accomplish) Gertners Invisible Palm trick.

Ive seen the cards put back, then as an after thought the cards are brought back out to give to the specs.

Another thing to do is to put the cards away, close the wallet, then open it again to take something else out, switching the cards in the process.

Hows that?
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's a start...I had thought about the first part..(handing the cards out for examination as an "afterthought") but what would you do if they immediately ask you to examine them before you are able to put them back in? How woud you handle that situation? Would you perhps say "No", then put them back in the wallet, then pretend to change your mind after the switch? (may sem a litle contrived at that point)
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Well, to be hounest, the only tick cards I use are douvies printing (cant spell his name, sorry), and the cards are examinable at the end.

Darwin uses wild card, and he discusses ways to get the trick cards out of play and switching in the normal ones.

The only gaff cards I use are ID, so Im not the best guy to talk about it.

I think its fine to put them in the wallet, then take something lse out of the wallet, leaving the cards in view (switched already of course).
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Captain Jack
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
53 Posts

Profile of Captain Jack
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 05:35, daffydoug wrote:
...what would you do if they immediately ask you to examine them before you are able to put them back in?

When that happens, I usually tell them "of course not" and put them in the wallet. As I am starting to put the wallet away I will say something like "ahh...I'm just kidding." Everyone looks up at me at that point and we all laugh. That provides me all the misdirection I need...and the deed is done.
Every man be a fool for 10 minutes each day. The trick is not in exceedin' the time limit!

Properly warned ye be, says I!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's a good approach..perhaps just the ruse I was looking for! Excellent! Thanks!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
You are correct, the motivation in this type of switch is literally EVERYTHING. Here is the subterfuge that I have used: Do whatever effect you are doing with the packet and then immeadiately put it back into the wallet. Toss wallet onto table in full view. DON'T go to pocket. Say something here about how amazing you personally find certain kinds of magic, etc. Find something that works for you. Then say, hey, let me show you something...

You take out the ungaffed set of cards and do an effect that you can do with those cards. Daly's Last Trick if that works, etc.

I hate switches that happen with no apparent purpose....gaffs go into wallet, wallet into pocket and then you take it out and say something like, "Here, take a look at them!" I have seen this done. Spectator's are NOT stupid. They may not say anything leading us to rationalize that we 'got away with it', but we didn't.

You need some reason to take the cards out and then do something with them. And, even if you plan on just switching them DON'T go to the pocket! Toss the wallet out as if you didn't have a care in the world. Then if 'they' ask to see the cards, you can naturally open the wallet and take them out. But, even in this situation I would still do something else with them, not just take them out on demand and let them be examined. Tons of reasons why, but the most important is that YOU are in charge of the situation. Or, should be. It's not up to you to satisfy the curiosity of the spectators no matter how badly they want to see something.

I have done Twisted Sisters at least a thousand times, maybe more. In not one case did a spectator ever ask to see the cards. Not one! The reason I think is that it is a totally killer trick that does NOT look gaffed in any way and thus folks just don't think to ask. Now, look at Wild Card. Here is one of the all time great card tricks. Its one flaw if you want to look at it that way, is that it DOES in fact look gaffed. The trick is so amazing, but in a moment you WANT to look at the cards.

You need to take this difference in packet effects into account. Consider the following axiom: The more that folks WANT to examine a packet of cards the harder it is to do a convincing switch of those cards to clean up. Why? Because the focus of their interest will linger on the cards longer and the cards will demand more of their attention as you move them after the presentation! All best,
Brad Burt
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'd prefer this not get outside the café into print, but here is something simple that seems to work.

At the right moment, you pick up the cards but leave one "by accident" on the table as you are talking to your audience and reach down to pick up the cards. They go into the wallet and you close up and start to put it away. Then you see the card on the table. That's the moment you take the packet out, insert the loose card and ...

BTW, it's usually not a good idea to examine things after a routine. It really hampers the flow of an act and puts a focus upon puzzle solving as opposed to enjoying the show.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Brad,

Thanks for your help..

I had a couple thoughts, though. When you toss the wallet casually on the table, their are some spectators who will take that as their cue and quickly grab the wallet ..and once they have it in their grubby paws, you are sunk.

The effect I am working on as of late that uses gaffs is a Nick Trost effect where four aces transform into a royal flush. This is indeed one of those effects where they can only suspect gaffed cards...if they are not allowed to examine them, they will surely conclude (truthfully so) that you were using "trick cards". The only way to dufuse that is, unfortunately, to let them examine the cards. This will steal the last possible vestige of an explanation from their heads. Thus the Z fold wallet.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Dear Daffydoug:

Here's a copy of the first of Free Mini Magic Lesson dealing with audience proximity and what to do about it. People that grab stuff is a problem and there are ways to deal with it.

In a professional setting what you describe will almost never happen. Even if the trick is very compelling. Some of what is below may be of help. Best, brad

This is the first of those lessons and
deals with one of the critical areas
of magical performance whether you are
just starting out or whether you are a
full time pro. The issue? SPACE
and Audience Proximity. Here is
a situation that you can probably see
in your minds eye....maybe, because
it has happened to you! You are performing
a trick for one or more friends and
one of them reaches over and grabs the
critical prop at the critical time and
basically ruins the performance. Got
it? Everyone and I mean Everyone has
been through this. You hate it, but
it happens. BUT....here's the cool
thing....it does not have to ever happen
again and I'm going to tell you how
to manage things so that it does 'not'
happen again.

First, just simply be prepared. It
is very much as if you are looking for
the hitman in the shadows when you go
to the store at night. Just being aware
that it can happen will stop it from
being a problem about 75% of the time.
Why is that? Because, if you are aware
of it you can move at the same time
the 'mugger' does. You can take action.

Second, you can now become more aware
of SPACE and 'Audience Proximity'. Here
it is: Look at the show situation.
PLACE your spectators far enough away
that they simply CAN'T grab anything!!!
Trust me on this: YOU control the situation...
especially before anything starts!
Say, "Look let's get everyone (or you if
only one person) situated like this so
that everyone will be able to see exactly
what is going on." See what I mean.
Be the nice guy who want's to help your
audience out!

It is this simple....put audience members
at just that distance from you so that
they cannot mess with your show.
As time goes on you will KNOW who
will be a problem. Not always, but
mostly. Anyone drunk can be real bad
news, but not necessarily. For what
ever reason women tend to grab more
than men and they are FAST! It is
like a Zen stone snatching trick. Watch
the wise guy who seems to be in your
face verbally. Watch how people are
poised. Relaxed and sitting back having
a good time. Leaning forward with the
skin of their face stretched tight their
eyes glowing with a feral animal *lust*
to mess with your performance? You won't
get many of that last, but I thought I
should bring him up.

In the end, simply control the situation
gently. People 'want' to see the magic
and they will almost always help you
get it going by doing as you politely
request.

Take care and talk with you soon,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anybody using A Z Fold Wallet? (I Need Some Advice) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL