The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Hype Section » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I'm not sure if this has been explicitly suggested before, but I think it's time to clean up the "reviews" section.

It seems to me that this could be done rather simply by having a section called "Hype" of "Buzz" or "Coming Soon" or whatever, where people could talk and hypothesize about upcoming effects, tricks, DVDs. A simple rule would be that until an effect (or dvd, book, etc.) is released, all talk about it should remain in the Hype section NOT the review section.

I realize people like to speculate about things pre-release —I like to myself- but I don't think this type of talk could in any way be considered a "review."

I think this would make the Café an even more helpful tool for people because it would differentiate the actual reviews from unsubstantial pre-release chatter.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Amen.
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
YES ! great suggestion. I'll drink to that
Matt Kerner
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Matt Kerner
I'm not old enough to drink, but I'd take a sip of Coca Cola for that! Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's a perfect idea if ever their was one. It could solve the problem very neatly.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
One way of handling this would be to create a simple review form that would be filled out. It would include, name, cost, creator, availability, etc. and a space for the actual commentary. A fully filled review form would be required in order to open a thread. After that, people could comment as per normal. This would ensure that the review threads began with reviews and not hype.

Just a thought.

Brad Henderson
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I second Brad's idea.

Curt
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Brad's suggestion, however, does not address the whole picture; it should be obvious by now that people love to speculate about an upcoming effect, while still others like to advertise about upcoming effects.
Placing such a srict requirement might keep the review forum clean of hype, but it wouldn't satisfy the lust people have for discussing upcoming effects.
A "Hype" forum would give everyone a place to "vent" for lack of a better term.
(At least I didn't type "rant" ) Smile
Both suggestions aren't mutually exclusive however, so .. I vote for both !
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Matty Moriates
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Matty Moriates
I like the idea of a "hype" section alot! Not only would it clean up the review sections, but it would just be a good section to have. Who doesn't love to talk about the upcoming things??
-3-
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I want to thank everyone for your ideas, suggestions, opinions and input concerning this very important matter.

By definition, the review area is suppose to be just that, an area for reviews. Yet, we do indeed recognize that folks still have a need to discuss and/or speculate about upcoming tricks, DVDs, etc that appear in the magic community.

That said, I am currently taking the whole affair under review and will no doubt take action one way or the other in the coming weeks ahead. Stand by... Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Hype Section » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL