The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hindu (Gypsy) thread - which thread? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Can, please, anybody help me. I don't find a good material for this effect. When I crumble the thread to a ball, then it is not a compressed, samll ball (it is more a bundle of loops, very difficult to hold respectively to hide). What thread do you recommend?
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I use waxed dental floss and it works great. This is not an new idea by the way, as it used by many others including Lonnie Chevrie on his recent DVD's. Just be sure it is WAXED or it won't work very well at all.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
This subject has been talked about in great details before in this forum. Do a little search.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I found, in Europe, what is called BASTING THREAD. It is very soft and breaks easy. This is what Kaps used. Sewing or tailor or fabric shops carry it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Murdoch82
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Murdoch82
Basting Thread can be found in any good fabric store. It is used to hold fabric together as a temporary means. It breaks very easy and is not too expensive.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
You can also find basting thread in quilting supplie stores. Wal-Mart sells it or used to I have not checked there in a while so am not sure if it is still available there or not.

One thing tho. Not all basting thread is 100 percent cotton. That is what you want to try and find. Otherwise you won't get as compressed of a ball of thread. The thread that has some pollyester in it well not compress as well.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Presuming you're going to snap the thread with your fingers, what you DON'T want is anything that's going to cut you like a cheese wire! You either need basting thread, as Pete has said, or just a poor quality cotton thread.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Thanks anybody, I bought basating thread nd it works well! Special thanks to Jonathan, this very nice and patient friend from belgium!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hindu (Gypsy) thread - which thread? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL