The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Show length » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
Hi, John,

What do you feel is a good length of time for a formal closeup show? I've noticed at the castle the shows run around 20-25 minutes but the guests usually wait in their seats hoping for more after the performer has stepped behind the curtain.

I'm operating under the assumption that, as long as it's an entertaining show and the magic is good, a paid show could go as long as 30 minutes or maybe a little more.

I have, however, read where some pros feel that anything more than 20 minutes and even a good show gets boring.

I'd appreciate your opinion.

ps I really enjoyed your Wonder Cabaret show and read that you will be doing it again soon. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Howard
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Howard,
Always leave em' wanting more. Better that they are disappointed when you stop than releived when you do. It might be a great show, but they might be standing or sitting for a long time, or can't see well. If its impromptu, I never do more than 10-15 minutes, tops.

A formal show.......well, there are not many places to do "formal" close up. The Castle is one of the few places in the world, besides someone's living room. In this case 25 minutes sounds good.....if its a good 25 minutes!

Is it Bob Read doing the show?..........well he could do two hours and I would love it! But even after a while, my butt might get tired in that crummy chair!

Always err on the side of caution. Less is more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Show length » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL