The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Catch 33 lee Asher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I got this manuscript, $30...dont think it was really worth the investement. aside from the ripped corner segment, which for practical reasons, I will never perform, there really isn't much for your $30. you get a couple of newish moves, nothing earth shattering, a really lame dodge, and the rest is just self promotion and a 10 page story from Asher about how he landed a gig using the routine. I expected much more for $30.

has anyone purchased this who really fealt it was worth the $30?
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
I purchased catch 33 a while ago, and performed it for a while.

The thing about Catch 33 is that it's not meant to be a really amazing magic act. The basis of it is as a 3 card monte demonstration, to actually show how the game is played, and that you can be fooled, very fairly. It's not actually meant to be a magic effect until the end, which is a great kicker.

You're correct in that it's not worth $30. I normally wouldn't complain about an item's price, especially since it does come with a complete routine, but it's marketed as magic, and there are so many better effects for $30. The only reason I feel such a high price is justified, is because if you look at the category, the only other real options would be a pure sleight of hand 3 card monte demo, and skinner's ultimate. Everything else is kind a ***ization of the game. Anyway, I feel the price would be much better suited at around $30, so I'm definitely with you on that one.

I could also see how you could do without the personal backstory, which he includes in most of his notes, but I personally really enjoy reading them, so I don't mind it.
I have read all of lee's notes, and seen his videos, because I like his ideas. The way I see Lee is that he comes up with really unique, original concepts, like Pulp Friction, losing control, the displacement idea in Trey Shiek, Asher twist, etc...

And then doesn't really do much with them, or at least doesn't put them in print. None of the effects he writes in his notes are that strong. Now, from what I've heard, he performs some really incredible stuff, which suggests to me that he uses the same concepts, but does much harder effects with them. Those I'd like to see published.
Jagy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Jagy
...especially when you have in mind, that for 30$ you could have get daryls daryl does the full monte instead...
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
The least he could have done was to add some real world "outs" and psychology. spectators DO guess correctly sometimes. I would like to know Lee's exact handling of this predicament.
Lee Asher
View Profile
V.I.P.
496 Posts

Profile of Lee Asher
Hello café members,

Thanks for starting a discussion about Catch 33.

I love this routine, but you already knew this…

I’m sorry some of you feel it’s only filled with a “couple of newish moves, nothing earth shattering, a really lame dodge, and the rest is just self promotion and a 10 page story.”

And...

“...especially when you have in mind, that for 30$ you could have get daryls daryl does the full monte instead...”

Both of you make interesting points, but let me clarify some of your misunderstandings.

There are only several moves taught in Catch 33, so if there are a couple of newish ones – I guess I’m ahead of the game. Catch 33 is not a compilation like the Daryl videos.

Of course there is nothing ‘earth shattering’ or my ad copy would have said EARTH SHATTERING.

This is what I say in my copy on the website

I’ve cut and paste from http://www.leeasher.com/product_catch33.htm

Catch 33 Ad Copy

You clearly rip off a corner of the winning Monte card.

A spectator holds the torn corner in their hand.

Amazingly, the winning Monte card restores itself to a perfect condition on the table. The piece held by the audience member magically changes to a corner of a losing card.

You WILL look like an expert!

NO TRICK CARDS used in Catch 33: Three Card Monte.

Once you find out how this routine works, you will never want to perform any other again.

You will find in this e-Manuscript:

The Hype: This discussion of the basic Monte technique is perfect for those that have never heard of Three Card Monte, and for those with years of Monte experience that need a refresher.

You will learn The Mid-Air Lay Down, a basic original pattern. The first time you try it, I bet you'll fool yourself.

From there, you will learn The Grecian Turn. This simple original sequence has fooled many of the world’s finest magicians on my travels throughout Europe, Asia and all of the Americas. I get more comments about this sequence than any of the others.

Finally, you'll learn Ripped. With roots in the classic torn corner plot, many have said this sequence alone is worth the price of this e-manuscript.

*Plus you will get two more phases, the Sosi Switch and Kaiser Con. They are guaranteed to fool spectators with con game psychology never used in a magical context before. You have not seen anything like this before.

You will be completely satisfied with these clever ruses. I promise.

**I also share my inspirational story of how Catch 33 helped me get hired at Caesar's Magical Empire on the Las Vegas strip.

Catch 33: Thee Card Monte is designed for YOU.

This 3 Card Monte e-manuscript has over 75 pages of instructional information filled with dozens of colorful photos.

Get this...

I mention there are over 75 pages in my copy. Actually, there are 85 pages.

I don’t account for the last 10 pages of the “self promotion and how he landed a gig using the routine” in my ad copy.

And yes, it’s just that – A story about how I landed a gig using THIS ROUTINE!!!

It’s not fiction; it’s not make-believe… It is a story about how I worked in the real world on the Las Vegas strip using Catch 33: Three Card Monte.

Are you not interested in how I used this routine to gain a high-paid gig? I would be...

While some think “for practical reasons, they will never perform it,” I feel sorry for your attitude.

In Catch 33, the self-promoted 10 page story shows pictures of me in a white tunic without pockets.(Talk about not having an advantage when ditching or retrieving!)

Even without pockets, and wearing a skirt – I still found Catch 33 practical and powerful!

I’m going to assume most people will have better conditions than I.

In conclusion, it comes down to quality vs. quantity.

I’m the type to stick with quality.

In my opinion, $30 is a small price to pay for a lifetime of quality.

For anyone else who has no idea what we are discussing, please click on the link below and find out what Catch 33 is all about.

http://www.leeasher.com/product_catch33.htm

If you are looking for a Three Card Monte routine, without any gaffed cards, which has been audience tested – Please consider Catch 33.

If you have any questions, please email me at lee@leeasher.com

Lee Asher

Ps. I’ve decided to end this with some quotes of satisfied customers who’ve purchased Catch 33. I have a lot more if you want them…

“I love up close magic with standard non-trick cards and am really enjoying your
3-card even though I have some work to do.” –Dink

“Nice to see folks taking pride in their work and providing a quality product.” -Kevin

“I have been performing Dawrin Ortiz's 3 card monte version from "At the Card Table" on and off during my routines, but just a quick glance over your handling makes me want to make this version a mainstay in my act!” – Carlos

“…to simple a remedy--why didn't I see it? Too close to it, perhaps. It's as though I was looking out a window and only seeing my own condensed breath on the window pane; I confused that for a cloudy day. I needed to hear the obvious from someone other than myself. AND who better than from the best--Lee Asher! Thanks so much for your gracious response and expert help” – David
LEARN ONE CARD ROUTINE EVERY MAGICIAN MUST KNOW
Click Here To Get Started Right Away
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Guys,
Go ahead and add another quote to the list:

"I've been a huge Monte buff for years; digesting Erdnase, Scarne, School For Scoundrels, Daryl, etc. and performing them all on a regular basis. Yet when I experienced Lee performing Catch 33, I was STILL burned badly by it. My education was clearly incomplete without Catch 33."

Tyler Wilson
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Cool,
Lee what do you do when the spectator guesses the correct card? It must happen sometimes...you really should have included this very important element. You're an expert, people trust your expertise and experience, which is one of the reasons we purchase from you. To leave out real world mishaps i.e. what to do when spectator chooses guesses the correct card, makes the manuscript terribly incomplete.

You refered to a sequence on page 65 of your manuscript as a means to get out of a situation like this, but that sequence on page 65 is just another phase, another toss. The performer still has to admit defeat.

I don't know...whatever, man
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
I don't know what Lee's suggestion would be but when I am performing any monte effect I have found that you will never and I repeat NEVER have 100% success.

Sure you might have a good couple of days where everytime you perform it everything goes right but there will always be that time when someone picks the right card. The reason being either because they have caught on or they just have dumb luck.

I performed Michael Skinner's monte effect for years and there were always times when people would name the right card even when it was obvious where the money card should be. But you don't just give up. I never did because I knew the ending would kick them in the tail.

This is the nature of three card monte. It is a scam, a con, a hustle.

If you watch a monte game on the streets of New York or New Orleans they will actually let the mark win on purpose to draw them in. You would never say "ok you win I admit defeat".

On the contrary......congratulate them and make them feel good!!!! At this point this is when they will bet big and of course loose. Or in the case of a routine performed for entertainment purposes you throw in the big kicker, or big blow off and leave them in astonishment.

If you present the effect as a challenge saying that they can't win or will never win then you are setting up a puzzle. When they do solve part of that puzzle they will think they have you beat. Anything you do after that will have less impact. Instead of focusing so much on what you are doing think about the peresentation and the attitude of your performance.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 17:14, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Cool,
Lee what do you do when the spectator guesses the correct card? It must happen sometimes...you really should have included this very important element. You're an expert, people trust your expertise and experience, which is one of the reasons we purchase from you. To leave out real world mishaps i.e. what to do when spectator chooses guesses the correct card, makes the manuscript terribly incomplete.

You refered to a sequence on page 65 of your manuscript as a means to get out of a situation like this, but that sequence on page 65 is just another phase, another toss. The performer still has to admit defeat.

I don't know...whatever, man

What's wrong with something like the mexican turnover?

Scarne has another few moves in his Monte book which is a great buy at around only $5....it would be worth having as a companion to Catch 33
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I didn't feel Catch 33 would be that much of use for me, as I am not a three card Monte fan, and so to assuage my curiosity, I merely watched a video of someone performing it over and over until I figured out many of the effects. However, the effect looks amazing, so anyone who's into Three Card Monte effects should get this, as the list of original routines are short indeed.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
A simple turn of phrase can take the sting and the challenge out of a troublesome spectator when doing monte routines.

Just ask:
Now, if you didn't know I was going to cheat you... where would you say the money card was?
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 21:42, ToasterofDoom wrote:
I didn't feel Catch 33 would be that much of use for me, as I am not a three card Monte fan, and so to assuage my curiosity, I merely watched a video of someone performing it over and over until I figured out many of the effects.

Wow, how incredibly ethical of you! Let's not spend that time practicing something that we've actually learned the correct way, that'd just be ridiculous.

Anyway, I've never seen a video anywhere of catch 33 being performed, so I'm calling you out on that one. Sorry bro! Although I'd like to be proved wrong on this one.
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Get Lees version! it rocks your socks! daryl is good, but LEE is killer! I love all the handling tips and the ending is spectacular! bravo, Lee! get this now! highly recommended! +
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 17:03, Tyler Wilson wrote:
Hey Guys,
Go ahead and add another quote to the list:

"I've been a huge Monte buff for years; digesting Erdnase, Scarne, School For Scoundrels, Daryl, etc. and performing them all on a regular basis. Yet when I experienced Lee performing Catch 33, I was STILL burned badly by it. My education was clearly incomplete without Catch 33."

Tyler Wilson

I completely agree tyler! Ive performed this many times and I love the whole effect and it just kills!
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
I reckon it is a matter of your personal taste. I too struggle with $30 for a single effect or routine. However, in some cases, that single routine can be a career and/or reputation maker. I just hate shelling out the $30 without knowing how I will gel with the effect. With that said, Lee does real quality work and I find him to be one of the most stand-up folks I have ever met in magic...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
ANyone performing Catch 33?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Not here
Cards never lie
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
You never let the mark win on the streets to draw them in...you hit them once and clean them out. You draw them in using other methods.

Once the card is picked you can't touch it on the streets...if they don't turn it over there will be trouble as you will be accused of doing something whether you did or not. The same problem in a magic presentation but since large amounts of money aren't involved violence is far less likely. I love the Mexican turnover and flip and flip-change (among other switching moves) but those are moves for the front-end or middle of a sequence, not after the card is picked.

I have Catch 33 and got a variation on a move from it which after all these years is a nice suprise. As far as magic approaches go I don't see the problem being complained about here...for a magical presentation it seems as good as anyone else's I am aware of and better than most all of the pipe dreams I've seen.

If you already have a good, tested presentation maybe you shouldn't spend the bucks. Reading this manuscript though does give me the feel of something the author really does, not some fantasy so many magic routines really are.

If you don't have a good three card magic routine I think you would get your money's worth from this...

Just my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Catch 33 lee Asher (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL