The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Replating Gold and Copper Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I recently purchased a set of coins for an "alchemy" effect that used amoung other coins, one gold plated and one copper plated Kennedy half.

Lo and behold, in attempting to polish the coins, I was dismayed to find that much of the plating had came off of the coins, leaving the silver color of the original coin showing through.

In short, they look real bad, and the effect is rendered unusable for me now.

I would like to know if anybody knows of a way of getting them replated at MINIMAL cost. Perhaps a do it yourself at home kit of some kind?

The reason I say minimal cost, is because if I have to spend too much on the job, I may as well just be going out and repurchasing the entire effect. (If the cost of repair exceeds the initial investment)

I was thinking that maybe some commercial kit is available...maybe something you saw on a late night infomercial or something like that. As I said, one coin is copper plated, and the other is gold plated.

Any suggestions?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I think there were some other posts on this, so you could try a search for: plating, copper sulfate.., but I would not hold out hopes for a good-looking electroplating, although coating the half w/copper might give more pleasing results(since you can accept the dull color of copper). For this you could try by putting the coin in a solution of copper sulfate. Just off hand I don't remember if the plating will happen spontanesly or need to be connected to a battery. If you try, experiment with a scrap coin.

As a kid I had a chemistry set that had a gold solution to do gold electroplating, but I never tried it, so I don't know how shinny it would come out. You might find this material at a kids store that has science type stuff. I've also seen products for this via mail order: http://www.shopHomeTrends.com or 800-810-2340, has a "gold plating system for $15. If you try it, let me know how it works, I would like to create some gold colored halfs. Then, try a search on the internet.

You could also try contacting a jewelry store.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Happy Pappy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Happy Pappy
You can purchase a copper kennedy half for $5.00 and a silver Kennedy half for $6.00 at SascoMagic.com. Maybe that might help.
Happy Pappy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Happy Pappy
I meant gold half not silver. Sorry.
Happy Pappy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Happy Pappy
Happy Pappy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Happy Pappy
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'll check it out, thanks!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I've bought some plated halfs off of ebay. They look ok, but one is so light that you wouldn't know it was "gold" unless you had it right next to a silver coin. I got them for about $11 for 4, but most are selling for close to Sasco's price.

The bigger question is how will the plating hold in use.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Replating Gold and Copper Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL