The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coldcalling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to cold-call resteraunts?

Thanks
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Here is something that might help:

Hi, this is (your name), I am a magician. I am calling to speak to the manager.
Is he or she in?
Yes- put me through please.
No - can I have their voice mail please or leave a message.

If asked what is this in regards to. Say it is in regards to entertaining your guests.

Voice Mail message:
Hi, this is (your name); I am a magician. My number is ________________.
I am calling regarding entertaining your guests.
Again my number is ___________________.

If they answer the phone:
Hello (use their full name), this is (your name), I am a magician. I help restaurants make their guests feel special. I have entertained at (list a few references).
The specific reason I am calling, is to set an appointment with you. How is next
Tuesday at 3? (come to an agreed date and time).
I would love to show what I do and how it could help your business.

If they object with:

Not interested – (name a restaurant) said the same thing until they gave me a chance to explain how I could benefit them.

Happy now - (name a restaurant) said the same thing until they gave me a chance to explain how I could complement what they were doing for their guests.

I am busy – That’s Okay, I just called to set an appointment.

Send me some information – Hey, (slight pause here) I have a better idea, let’s get together.

Good luck! Remember you can't get them all. And when you do meet with them, be business like but not stuffy. Be precise on what you will do for them.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
1) Do not ever promise them that you'll raise their revenues -.-; ever.
2) Be polite, insistent but not annoying
3) Be creative and polite at the same time (?)

Basically Mr Mandel laid out the basics. I wouldn't suggest following them word to word, since it would sound like you are reaading off something, although it's an excellent script. Be natural, be straight to the point, but not annoying..

Basically... its like a knacky move..
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The key question is this: "What is it that you can provide that is of real benefit to the General Manager?"

Admittedly, that's a loaded question. The key benefit you bring is not the magic or the entertainment. The GM knows that people come to the restaurant for the food. Entertainment is often viewed as an unnecessary, costly add-on. So, if you want in, you're going to have to bring something of value to the table above and beyond entertainment.

So, what is it that your magic can do? Can it help the restaurant promote a distincive image for itself? Can it help keep customers from leaving when the line ups get too long? Can it help alleviate the stress of the wait staff when the kitchen gets backed up or makes a mistake on an order? Can it create top of mind awareness and customer loyalty? It's factors like these that the GM really cares about.

Now, when you call the GM, tell him you have a proven promotional concept that will assist in the overall success of the restaurant. Ask if you could meet with him for about 30 minutes to demonstrate the concept in person. When you meet with him, describe what you do and what value it brings to the restaurant. Then, demonstrate it by performing at a table. Before you do so, however, ask the GM to focus on the guest's reactions rather than on your tricks. After the demonstration, come back to the GM and get his feedback. Reiterate the values that the magic brings with it and how it can benefit the restaurant. Provide him with a written bio and proposal along with your price quite. Exhange business cards and thank him for his time. Follow up with a thank you note and a phone call.

This approach isn't for everyone, but it is one that I espouse. It demonstrates an understanding of the restaurant business and a respect for the General Manager. It also positions you as a problem solver rather than just another person holding out your hand and wanting to get paid.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
You can check out http://geocities.com/fjbuono/1stRestShow.html

The manuscript is very to the point but Frank does offer a money back guarantee. I found a few helpful suggestions but if you have been performing for very long you probably already have the knowledge you will find here.

I found the small investment to be worth what I got out of the text.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
After cold calling

make sure you are prepared to send them something

many times when I was younger I would be expecting them to book over the phone- s(stupid me) so when they said can you send me something I would say yes
and iether never get back to them or take a very long time typing up something- Luckily things have changed since then and I have learn't my lessons and am still learning

so (take into account I was only 19 or so at the time and niave)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coldcalling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL