The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » A challenge to pro-level, ex-FCM members. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
We are considering attending the convention this summer, but it's the week before the big combined convention, so I'm not sure.

Any pro-level, ex-FCM members going? : ) (sticking to the topic of this thread!)
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I would love to attend the international convention. The problem I have is the convention is so long. This is not the FCM's fault, it's mine for not being able to attend because of work. In the convention schedule, I see some of the lectures I would like to attend but they are so spread out through the week I just can't see taking my entire vacation along with my family to Marion IN to attend a convention. I would never hear the end of it from my family.

Sticking to the thread, I have seen several so called Christian enertainers who are just awful. I know their hearts are right but their acts are terrible. How can you profess to give your best to God if your act stinks? The problem is this; these are the folks who go to the conventions year after year and lecture. They do not seek to become a better performer and you cannot teach what you do not know and practice. Personally, I have had to go outside the FCM to learn the skills that it takes to become a better performer. I am sorry to have to admit that.

Of course there are brillant exceptions to the rule; Steve Varro, Duane Laflin, and Toby Travis just to name a few. One of the differences I have notice with the above mentioned performers is that I know they are constantly striving to be a better performer by reading, taking classes, lectures, getting feed back, etc.

The world is looking at us. Are we being light and salt?
worth_waiting
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of worth_waiting
Wow, guys. I'm actually incredibly encouraged to read this thread! I attended the convention in '07 for the first time in thirteen years (the last time being when I was 5). While I had not been exposed to many of the great leaders of FCM for a while, I grew up surrounded by Christian performers who strove to maintain a standard of excellence in all they did. This environment and the people who created it trained me to settle for nothing less than my best as even my most petty actions are a reflection of my God. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the convention, and look forward to attending again. However, I was disappointed to see a complacent attitude amoung many of the established performers. I'm just glad to see people desiring to better the FCM, instead of allowing it to sink into a stagnant state.

That being said, I appreciate all you guys are doing to help and train those of us who are just beginning to pursue this particular creative art. May God bless and multiply your efforts!

Labrina
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Welcome to the Café Labrina...
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
When I started using magic in my preaching I was like a kid in a new candy store. I was so excited about all the new opportunities and experiences I could have. I was also excited about the new journey I was going to embark on. I spent most of my time preaching to believers when I should of been teaching them about discipleship in Christ. When God burned a desire in me to go out of my comfort zone to reach the unsaved, I didn't like it at first. I didn't want to leave an area that was familiar to me, preaching to those who already believed in Christ. It was easier to talk to other christians about Christ. It's not like I feared someone in my congregation would heckle me in the middle of my sermon. Nor did I have the fear that someone in my congregation would tell me to shut up and take my crap somewhere else. My first experience with outreach was really scary, but after watching the first David Blaine special, and saying to myself, "I know how he did that, and that, and that, I became more impressed on how people would stop on the street to listen to him and watch his magic. Then, like a lightbulb, a light went on for me, "Why don't I use magic tricks to not only get their attention, but to earn a few moments with them as I share the message of Jesus Christ?" I started to look for information on the internet about magic and the bible to help get a feel if what I was planning to do was the right thing to do. I was amazed on how much information I found about Gospel magic, and happily surprised I was to discover that many Christians were already performing Gospel magic. After praying more about it, I first started looking for a message that could go with one of the several tricks I already knew, but then began to search out new Gospel magic tricks and routines.(note: I now look for tricks I can apply to a message) I have to admit that I was becoming discouraged because I was starting to feel like their was only so much I could say using Gospel magic. I thought about dropping the magic altogether and just strictly preach to those who would normally never walk into a church. I'm thankful for a few good friends who encouraged me to continue performing Gospel magic. However, I brought my Gospel magic into the church. It started at first as a way for youth ministries to raise money. Many non-believers would come to my performance to watch the magic even though it was advertised as a Gospel Magic Show. People were curious to see what it was all about. I did eventually branch out a bit more, but mostly with churches. I am back in outreach ministry and loving every minute of it. I witness on the streets as well.

I guess this is where I should start getting to my point eh?

Okay, the point is, I came to a place where I felt I was at the end of the line with Gospel magic,taking it as far as it can go. But, not the end of the line with preaching. I was going to drop the magic because I felt it limited me to what I could preach about. There were things I wanted to preach about and found no trick suitable for it. Again, thanks to good friends, they reminded me that what might be old to me can be new to someone else. What I'm getting at is maybe some Christians decided to carry out what I was thinking about doing? Maybe some of these people who dropped out went on to be strictly preachers, focusing all their attention on the message instead of needing to spend time on the magic aspect of it as well. maybe God called them out of their comfort zone, and lead them on a whole new journey?

For me, I am glad I am still doing what I do. And, I thank God for the opportunites He has given me. I am a new member of FCM, but I plan to be part of FCM for the long hall. However, who is to say God may want me somewhere else years from now, doing something entirely different. Couldn't that also be a potential reason why someone left FCM.

I apologize to anyone who had to suffer through my bad grammar and long post. :>
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
If anyone has the free time and the extra funds - GO TO THE FCM NATIONAL in Marion, Indiana. When I can - I CAN. Not so much for the lectures, usually not a lot there for my calling but the fellowship is GREAT!! Many hearts with the right priorities. Like any other magic convention - yes there are clicks and egos but for the most part - many good people with good attitudes.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
I'm going to the convention. I've been there in years past and can't say enough for it.
My wife and I are full time escape artists with a ministry to churches and schools. We are known as RoseOnyx. (Black for Sin and Red for Christ's Blood). We also sell/make performance equipment. We will be vendors at the convention, and hopefully, we will lecturing too. They are still deciding on lecturers but we hope to be able to bring some escape information to the mix. Seems there is everything else there!

Clyde
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
The thing is though guys, sometimes we limit ourselves with what we can do with magic in preaching. Just because we don't buy the effects out of the Gospel magic section of a store-brick and mortar or online- doesn't mean that we can't make it such. I know that all of you guys aren't just here or in FCM on some whim or fluke. Neither am I. God has called me into ministry, and I feel him leading through this outlet. I think the thing that really holds us back as performers and ministers, is that we have a call on our life from God, to Excellence. However sometimes we just settle for okay. Okay performances mediocre effects, all in the name of "Gospel Magic". Remember if you have an effect that speaks for itself, then let it. I have seen so many Gospel effects completely botched by the performer based on a false need to over explain.

For instance Brock Gill's Puppet Master. He doesn't have to stand there afterwards or during the effect and break down each step and relate it. Bautier DeKolta's Vanish speaks for itself, and through his presentation so does he.

On a small scale, I used to do Anders Moden's Healed and Sealed as my salvation message. I would quote one scripture, and do the effect silently. People seemed to get it. They understood that it wasn't a "hey how did he do that?" moment, but a "..................that's what God can do for me." moment.

Remember that we all have a call to excellence and we should never settle for just an okay performance just because we share the Gospel with it.
David McCall
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of David McCall
Quote:
On 2006-07-14 23:28, Nobody Special wrote:
Thank you Kerry Kistler for your intelligent efforts with the FCM and this web-site. Unfortunately my posistion is visable in the magic sub-culture and this organization and I would much rather be Nobody Special. Some may say that I am hiding by not posting my name. The answer is yes. Hiding from the headaches that honesty will cause. I would much rather be an invisible voice among the masses.

I know that many individuals leave FCM behind for very sad reasons. Simply put, it is not that members become pro and leave us behind, it is that they are simply chased away!

This is a painful example from our annual convention THIS YEAR!

I was witness to unChristian like treatment that was given to a professional entertainer who went out of his way to attend and perform at the convention.
To cut to the chase - the performer was never notified (FCM openly admits that) of the manditory "tech" meeting that was to take place earlier that day. The performer arrived 2 1/2 hours before showtime (I know, because I was the first to see him) and the performer was notified of being cut from the program!! No one tried to call or contact the performer at any point to notify him of the meeting or check on his arrival status. When the performer was speaking with the "stage manager" and elected board member in charge of entertainment, I was taken aback by the attitude he received! Instead of, "I am glad you are here safe and sound - we were getting concerned!" It was, "You were cut from the show, too bad. We can not fit you in now!"

Since the performance was published and was anticipated, he now wrongly carries the stigma of being a "no show" type of performer. It saddens me that our organization treated him in such a non-professional, non-Christ-like manner.

This is NOT hearsay, I was there - this is a sad fact from our loving, Christian family. The sadder thing is that individuals are mistreated and the efforts of countless others are abused all the time without remorse. If anyone denies it, then they are not looking at our organization with honest, open eyes. Being Christians we need to go the extra mile. After all that happen to this performer, I was amazed by his "taking the higher road" attitude. (I don't think I would have - or could have - been that professional and forgiving) If this does not chase him away from the FCM - then the FCM should count its blessings.

In HIS Service,
Nobody Special

This has happened several times: I'm supposed to help, but the contacts never bother calling me back. I feel that sometimes I'm more friendly with the answering machine and know the answering machine more than the person who's supposed to be checking it.

So I call those in charge, and get no answers. I check the websites to see if the event is still going on. I e-mail these people, and never get a response back.

I was cut out of a show a while ago; I was never told I was in a show, let alone whether or not I would be helping at the event. I called the planners repeatedly months (starting 5 or 6 months) before, and never got any answer. I'd call for months... and with no responses.

One year, I had gotten a well paying gig during the same weekend I was interested in volunteering for an event. So I let the planners know that I was unavailable at certain times. I called repeatedly, for months on end. I e-mailed repeatedly, and never got a response.

So, I decided to take the well paying job (it would only cut a few hours of my volunteering opportunity), and let the christian planners know (again, months in advance) with my apologies about the change in schedule. And again, no response.

Finally, they let me know two days before that I was still to help out during the time of this other event. I e-mailed them back, reminding them of the change in plans.

The planners were angry that I "hadn't told them" (I did - repeatedly - both over email AND phone - several people, in fact). And I was cut from a show that I was supposed to perform at (yet not one word had been mentioned word one about me actually performing in any actual show before the event).

I'll admit, I'm not perfect; I do drop the ball on occasion... I think we all do that. Certain things escape our minds from time to time. But some christians (more than secular friends, it would seem) are notoriously bad for getting back with people over important issues. Sometimes it seems to show a lack of concern for others, sometimes it reflects badly on christians as a whole, neither of which is something we need nowadays.

But, I don't think that those who are bad about being responsible will read this, or understand that they're the ones I am writing about. So it depends on those who are good about this sort of issue to try our best to show a level of christian responsibility and accountability.

There's a couple of frustrated christian friends who joke with each other... Every week, we ask each other: "Did "so and so" call you back? Have you spoken with "this person" lately?! Because we all know the answer is "no." That's the sad part of comedy.

Another issue about why some become disillusioned (pardon the pun) with their FCM (in this case, we're talking FCM here) is because it's sometimes difficult to get pros to take time out to do an event; A reason? I've also heard stories about well known lecturers or dealers not going to events because of the theft, and surprisingly, I've heard more complaints about theft from many Christian audiences more than the secular ones.

I know of several fairly well known illusionist friends (not trying to brag, and I'm not naming names) who can't go to certain conferences because sadly, they can't trust some of the people any more, and those theives ruin it for the rest of us. Lecturers or dealers rarely end up making a lucrative business from the lecture circuit as it is, which is partly why it's difficult to get lecturers of fame and quality. They just feel it's often not worth the hassle. They're working.

I have the option of getting paid $600 dollars for an event in two months, or maybe volunteering at an event where the planners constantly change their minds about if they want my help... If I can, I'm going to see if I can do the paid event when the other isn't solid or set in stone. I think that's only to be expected.

Sorry about the rant. I just thought I'd contribute a few more thoughts from my perspective.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Very interresting.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Alright, I just found this thread, and thought I'd give my 2 cents.

My name is Don Bursell, and I attended all of the FCM nationals that took place in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I have not attended since then, but not for one particular reason or another. It is a mix of things, and I'll simply state a few.

As a full time performer (but by no means a wealthy one), Kerry's reason #4 he stated in his original post is my biggest factor for not attending. A week worth of work/ministry is what pays my house payment and some bills. I have a family that I have to take care of, and that includes many factors. To go to the national FCM means a week of no income (that could be anywhere from $500-$2500.00), the cost involved with going to FCM (to take my family) is a week's worth of gas, a week's worth of lodging, a week's worth of food. If it's just me going, it's not as expensive, but that means a week away from my family. If the family goes it's very expensive.

To many that attend, the expenses involved with that week aren't that much, but to my middle-income lifestyle, that can add up quickly. That's my main factor for not attending.

The other factors are the tidbits of stuff that happen in every organization: politics, "I want this for the group", "Well, I want this for the group", egos (of which I had a big one), dishonesty and a few others.

One small example of the dishonesty was when asked if I would perform and lecture at the conference some years ago, I brought up the fact of the costs. I simply inquired if there are any funds at all to reimburse some performers to attend the conference (like every other magic conference in the world), and I was very clearly told, "We never pay any of our performers, speakers or lecturers." I was able to make it to the conference for a day that year as an attendee and had lunch with one of the evening performers. In our conversation he clearly told me that he had been given a small stipend to help cover his travel costs. It made me pause and take a look at myself. Why is one performer "paid", yet others are not? Who chooses, and why was it kept hush-hush? And let me make it clear that I do not hold myself any higher than any other person at that conference, and yet I was told that I had an "ego problem" by one of the higher ups at the time when I questioned the performer being reimbursed.

Life can throw us curveballs all the time. I lived in that curveball world for the majority of my life, but things have changed for me. My priorities are different, and more aligned with what I believe God has laid out for me. My performing had always come first. Now, whenever I am offered a job, ministry or not, I evaluate it in regards to the impact on my family, my time, my expenses, how I can bring glory to God through it, and even what I can contribute to it.

I fully intend on attending another FCM conference in the future, but I also believe God will make that timing obvious to me. I can honestly say God has not made that "opening" clear to me yet. I love the FCM. I wrote for the magazine off and on for years. I contributed articles and pictures. I performed. I lectured, and I loved it. I'm still friends with people that I made through the FCM years ago. I even served as president of the Minnesota FCM chapter for (I think) 3 years. But life takes each of us through changes. And for the first time in my life, I feel that I am truly where God wants me and can use me. As I continue to grow in Christ, some of those doors of the past can be reopened and explored.

Enough of my ramblings. I'll see you all at an FCM conference sometime.

Proudly signing my name,

Don Bursell
DonB! Ministries
Mora, MN
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2006-05-31 15:24, Kerry Kistler wrote:
I have observed a regrettable pattern over my years in the FCM. A performer moves from an intermediate league to the pro league and then they drop out - or their contributions stop. There are notable exceptions, to be sure. We still have pros among us who are very present and very involved. Thank God.

Kerry, I am no longer a full-time pro; however, when I was, I simply did not have the time to belong to all the clubs, go to all of the meetings. Nor could I afford to lose time from working shows. This isn't an FCM problem; the same is true with the IBM and SAM.
Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Hi Gang,

It's been poignant watching this thread develop. Wonderful and (sometimes) painfully honest thoughts being shared. Thank you one and all.

Know that I respect your decisions to contribute to the FCM - or not. Clearly the choice is a highly personal one and driven by a host of factors. It has never been my intent to sow seeds of guilt in anyone.

I do understand that "a need is not necessarily a call." I face this dilemma with booking issues on a regular basis. Another thread for another time.

Cheers,
Kerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » A challenge to pro-level, ex-FCM members. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL