The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Razzle Dazzle (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2014, Paul wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2014, Aaron Isaacs wrote:
Paul, do you have a list of similar effect in either of your Small But Deadly books?
I'm very interested in packet tricks where the backs change colors.

Truth be told, no. Some are mentioned within the chapter on twisting effects and some elsewhere. Razzle Dazzle in the chapter on Trost for instance.

Most 'new ones' are variations on existing stuff and not always for the better. For example, most are really inspired by Elmsley's "Dazzle" act which was the forerunner of Cervon's "Dirty Deal", Dingle's "Poor Charlie", Walton's "Restless Colors" (actually a different name in the Walton books but Aldo varied it a bit) or on the 'twist' side Vic Trabucco's "Twist" from Jerry Mentzer's little booklet "Packet Tricks" (1982) which can still be obtained for less than the cost of a packet trick!!

There are so many twisting routines where the backs change from red to blue or vise versa, does swapping all blue for different colored backs really make it a new trick?

I feel pretty sure the wave of multi colored back endings in more recent years was more than likely sparked by John Bannon's excellent "Royal Scam", and then "Spin Doctor" both of which were recommended in "Still Small, Still Deadly".

Paul Gordon must have marketed at least half a dozen packet effects which ended in various colored backed cards. Check out his web site. Of his, "Spectrum" was one of my favorites.

This post helps me tremendously. Thanks very much. Also, thanks to Aaron Isaacs for asking the question.
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Taking Paul's advice, I ordered Specturm Strikes Back from Paul Gordon. It's very good.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I can't find Nick Trost's "Razzle Dazzle" for sale anymore. It requires specific set of gimmicked cards.

Any advice on where I can find the requisite cards? Or perhaps a clever way to assemble my own set from more commonly available gimmicks available at through my local magic shop? I'd be happy to assemble my own if it was cost effective (and there's no ethical issue with that given that I purchased the trick).

All advice is welcome and appreciated.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
The reason I need to replace my original set was because I stored them in a JOL leather card wallet. How ironic that I paid a premium for a classy card wallet only to have the dye bleed onto my cards and make them look soiled.

Anyone want to buy a JOL wallet? Smile

Or perhaps someone has run into this bleeding issue and has a solution. It's an attractive wallet but if it ruins your cards then it's worthless.
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
I've had the exact same issue with that wallet.

Gary Plants should be able to make you up a set.

I've made my own set.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Marty Martini made a set for me. He does great work.
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
The cards must be made by a good card mechanic. The original effect came out in bridge size and to make the look less gimmicky IMHO these should be on poker size. Marty Martini is a great source, as well as Gary Plants,

Best,

hbenod
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Razzle Dazzle (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL