The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » A-1 DVD I bought on ebay: legit or pirated? How to tell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
Perhaps that's just how they're done, but the DVD that I got has a stick-on label and the case is really cheap looking. Just a cheaply made product, or a pirated copy?

-Travis

P.S. David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy Volume 3.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Look at the back. If it is kind of a "rainbow" glare to it it is probably a rip off.
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
The stick on label sounds fishy to me. The a1's I have are all printed directly on the media surface.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
Hmm... I'll have another look but I'm pretty sure it's a DVD-R, and it's definitely a stick-on label. It's a well made package. If A1 were using DVD-R's with stick on labels in cheap cases then this is exactly how it would look--there are no typos or anything. Not exactly sure how to proceed...

-Travis
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Maybe call A-1 . Ask and explain. You're obviously trying to do the right thing- they should be cool about it.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

I am sorry to hear that.

I have once been sold a pirated copy more than once on eBay. Try to look at the seller's feedback. Some people might say something, while not leaving a negative feedback. I think you should just contact the seller and say that you think it is a copy. Then, depending on how the seller react, you should be able to judge whether it is indeed a copy or not.

Sometimes, sellers defend themselves. Because indeed, many legit magic DVDs are produced poorly. But some sellers will usually just say I'm sorry, I'll give you a refund. Then that's obviously a scam.

Another thing you can do is to look at what the seller has sold in the past. If you see the same DVD appearing more than once, then it might be fishy.

I have had an example before where I see the seller selling the same bunch of DVDs again and again. I still bought it because it is so cheap. Then it turned out they are copies. But I contaced him and he provided me with a refund.

One other thing is to look at the price you got the DVD for. If it is really cheap then it might be fake. You can use the advanced search function to check how much this DVD usually sells, then compare it to what you paid.

Anyways, I hope this helps. And I hope you get things resolved Smile

Phil
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Stuff like this P***** me off.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
See if the video quality is low, oh wait its A-1, I guess you wont be able to tell.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
If on the "play" side of the disc, the color is not uniform and you can see a circular edge, it means, the DVD was burnt. Authentic discs have almost uniform color. Atleast, the ones I bought from L&L and Kohler etc have. I only have VHS from A1.
And, if the DVD is a copy of a DVD, it will have same quality of recording (I cannot gaurantee about the disc though). If it has been ripped from VHS, it will have low quality and you will see jumps, skips and lines inbetween the video.
Hope I was helpful...
To believe is Magic.
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
A1 DVDs are pressed (not DVD-R) and their labels are silk-screened. If the label you have received is a sticker, or the media side is coloured, you have been ripped off, and Michael Maxwell of A1 has been ripped off. I ask you to contact Michael and pass on the details to him so he can possibly go after the individual selling the counterfeit DVDs.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » A-1 DVD I bought on ebay: legit or pirated? How to tell? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL