The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Basic info on a new booking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I just received a phone call about a show and I handled it pretty badly. The call caught me off guard and I was away from my desk and though I spoke professionally, things got muddled and I ended up being very disorganized in my conversation.

To keep this from happening again, I've decided to make a little card to put in my wallet that has a basic list of info that I want to communicate with the client. Since its on my mind, I would like to ask what types of info do you absolutely make sure you communicate with a new client. I'm looking for things beyond the standard where, how many people, how much money . . .

When I'm done with it, I'll post the list here for people to use if they want.

Thanks,
Richard

BTW: The call ended up being a "Can't you do the show for $25?" which I turned down.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Richard,

I think it is safe to say that we all have run into times like this. You are tired and the phone rings or just caught off guard. One thing I have done is to create phone scripts for the different types of shows and markets I market my show to.

This way it has things I want to talk about and ask and even the wording how I generally ask and say it. These are printed out and placed by every phone in my place. I also have a smaller one in my wallet for anytime I am on the road or for cell phone usage. This has been abig help and I find that refering to it in awkward times helps get me started and then I am usually fine by the time I have read a few lines.

I will post more ideas as to things I ask here in a few minutes.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Should of took the job, then showed up thanked them and left. When asked, say it cost $25 in gas just to get there and that is your $25 dollar show. Smile
Dennis Michael
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks Kyle, as always your thoughts are very much appreciated!

(Den - LOL Smile )

Richard
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just can't imaging being asked to do a $25 show! That has to be the biggest insult to a magician. I would have perferred being asked to do it free! At least I could have turned it down with a gentle response.
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is simply amazing what some people actually think and say these days. I can understand price shopping or shopping around for the best solution for your needs, but asking for entertainment at a ridiculous rate is just an insult indeed.

Any ways, I will try and post some thoughts on what I usually ask for for my shows. I will also have some unique ones as I do a lot of festivals and there are many things I ask specifically if I am doing an outdoor festival event. I would be happy to share these with you all.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
It actually surprised me that she didn't know the price of the show. She wanted a birthday party show and all of my marketing material is price-based. I don't charge much for my birthday shows and I make that the selling point. It bothered me so much why she didn't know the price before she called that I did some searching and found an old internet classified ad I posted a few months ago on a local BB. (Of course, it didn't occur to me at the time to just ask her how she found my number!)In the ad, I used the phrase "very affordable" instead of my price-point. That's the ad she was answering. I've removed the ad now, but I had totally forgotten it even existed.

Thanks,
Richard
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
When I was seven, I charged $40.00 for my birthday shows! I can't believe they wanted a $25.00 show. I like Dennis' idea of showing up taking the money and "disappearing".

The last thing I mention is price. I sell them on the show first. And I make it enjoyable.

Some things I say:

My company name (it is the first thing I say. Stops those telemarketers calling when they realize it's a business line.

What type of event is this.

What type of entertainment are they looking for.

Offer suggestions. Dig deeper into their program that might already be established and offer even more solutions.

Sell a show/entertainer. Make mention of the benefits (variety...magic, puppetry, songs, juggling, balloons, facepainting...or whatever the show entails).

I always make mention that we travel around the continent. (hey we are pretty good at what we do type of boasting without the boasting).

I then ask for the date if they haven't already given it. If there isn't an availability, I always tell them because we do so much around the country and such that I advise clients booking at least 6 months ahead. This makes them want to book you early for next year becuase you have already sold them on the show. I often will suggest other performers and such that can provide an EQUALLY great show. Sometimes I just book it through me (I have a large roster of performers) or just help the client with that person's contact info. The more helpful I am the more likely they will book in the future.

After this they usually ask about the price (they are already going to book) and there isn't that much of a problem with pricing. Sometimes the price is still an issue. I see if I can offer a different show for a lower price...and so on.

Sometimes they just won't book because of the price. Not much you can do with these people.

Before the price talk, I often direct them to my website and talk about things so the can see exactly what they are getting. Just recently I started taking the prices off my website. My prices were sometimes a selling point (and still are in some regards) but found the idea of selling them on the show without pricing a great challenge and very rewarding in many ways. I realized with some of my new shows that I offer something that is very unique and is the best selling point.

I just noticed I rambled on for a bit. I hope some of it makes sense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Basic info on a new booking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL