The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Most Recent Criss Angel Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
What was the flashed pass in?
mtrs9119
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of mtrs9119
I've never really watched "Mind Freak", I guess I should to see what Criss is like and what kind of style he has.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
He was in a bar or pool hall with a girl. The camera was low and to his left and revealed every move he made. Most likely, laymen just saw it as a fancy cut.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dave your right it probably went by the vast majority of the laity, which was his intent I am sure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I don't think it was his "intent" just that he probably figured it wasn't worth a reshoot.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dave I simply meant his audience is the "laity" is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Hey Song, what did Andre Kole say about the Walking on Water bit?
It's all in the reflexes.
Hey Song
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Hey Song
Andre Kole wrote a letter to Criss and his team about trade secrets. Criss did not contact him to do the Walking on Water illusion.
Later, after the episode aired, Andre made the comment "What amazing things can be accomplished when you have a pool full of wet, screaming stooges."

The letter is read in the new GoMagicGo Podcast.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
That sounds like a classy letter. Smile

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-06-20 23:52, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
That sounds like a classy letter. Smile

Tony

lol
davidrowyn
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of davidrowyn
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 13:47, Hey Song wrote:
I didn't see any camera cuts or edits or obvious stooges or camera tricks in this episode...

I know a good optometrist.

I'll give you one example (of dozens available throughout the seasons)—In the pool hall, when he sets the envelope down next to the billiard ball resting on the card, the envelope is parallel to the long edge of the table. Then, Criss 'hold-for-edit' Angel asks the girl to come around the table and suddenly the envelope has 'magically' moved its position to a 45 degree angle.

Now, this may or may not have anything to do with the method, but clearly we're not seeing the whole performance. This doesn't mean you couldn't preshow an audience for an effect (if you'd preshow for a live show as well), but once the camera comes on, the viewing audience should see the entire sequence of events until the effect is over.

I completely agree with DannyDoyle. While there are some pretty gullible people out there, a lot of feedback from thinking lay audience on other forums including Digg, Shoutwire, etc have rightfully labelled him as a joke. I feel a bit sorry for people like Luke Jermay and Banachek, who may not be able to escape the association if they don't get out now.

//
nbps05
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of nbps05
Most people are criticising criss angel but do any of you have a tv show like him???
Hey Song
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Hey Song
I meant camera edits that actually involve covering something from the effect. Not an envelope moving, which had nothing to do with the effect.
The food to roach was obviously not an edit and it did not have to involve stooges. In fact, I may be wrong, but every wave he did over the food, his hands got closer and closer. Also, he was wearing a PK ring. As you can see, he was likely planning for the food to vanish on the third wave, but it took a few more to get it right.
All the stuff he did in these episodes can legitly be done.
Oh, and by the way, instead of sitting back and calling stooge on everything, why don't you try to put your mind to each effect and think of how you could actually do the same trick without a stooge? Stop being lazy and start being creative.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-08-04 15:44, nbps05 wrote:
Most people are criticising criss angel but do any of you have a tv show like him???

How does this make what Criss does any better or any worse? So what if his critics don't have a TV show? Is that now the only way we judge "good magic"?

Posted: Aug 5, 2006 9:58am
Quote:

All the stuff he did in these episodes can legitly be done.
Oh, and by the way, instead of sitting back and calling stooge on everything, why don't you try to put your mind to each effect and think of how you could actually do the same trick without a stooge? Stop being lazy and start being creative.

Define legitly done.

Oh and if you think you can do "all the stuff in this episode without stooges, or camera editing, you simply need to state how. Because your simply wrong and indeed need an optomitrist. Is it lazy to say we can't travel past the speed of light? Do we just need to be creative to find a way.

Once you have the "facts", well accepting them is not lazy. Lazy is accepting what you are TOLD by lets say, Criss and his people on TV.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Hey Song
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Hey Song
I will admit that there were a few effects that needed stooges, however, they were really good effects. Stooges are a tool. It's just like a mirror or trapdoor. Anybody can use them in the real world.
Are you trying to say that everything he does is with a stooge/camera trick/ edit? Do you think that would just be easier? There is proof in these episodes in Criss' performance that he actually went out there and did the effects.
I remember in the party episode, he stated that he was taking sleight of hand to local bars and clubs. So, could you possibly be saying that his poorly done coins across was a camera trick?

So how does he accomplish all this stuff without camera tricks and edits?
His team is some of the greatest magicians in the whole entire world. All together, they could come up with some amazing stuff. Why call camera edit on everything when it may just be some new effect? That is why I am telling you all to be creative. Of course, we could all go into a shop and purchase magic, but why don't you actually try to sit down and invent things for yourself using combinations of methods already out there?
Criss and his team are all creative. They think outside of the box. That's why they are on tv and you're not.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 14:03, Hey Song wrote:

Criss and his team are all creative. They think outside of the box. That's why they are on tv and you're not.

I disagree
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Who cares if they are on TV or not? Is that the measure of good magic? You still avoid this answer and it is obvious. NO. It is NOT the measure of good magic. Sorry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 14:03, Hey Song wrote:

Criss and his team are all creative. They think outside of the box.

No, actually they think inside the box and then there's a camera cut & they're outside ...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To argue they don't use camera cuts and editing, and stooging and outright lies is just not going to hold water. To argue it makes for better magic is debatable. One is a fact, one is a subjective matter.

You can argue that you don't feel they OVERUSE them perhaps. I don't see the position as even true in the slightest, but you can argue it.

I think a better thing to discuss is what I said about defining "stooge" rather than if he uses them.

Here is a hint, "We never met before right?" is usually a stooge. Pretty simple formula really. Now not so much a stooge as an assistant in the audience as I said earlier.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Most Recent Criss Angel Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL