The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bengal Cats? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
A friend of mine metioned having a good friend that raises Bengal Cats. They look like leopards breed with a house cat... Here's a link to learn more about them and see pics:

http://www.bengalcat.com/

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever had one of these in their show or if this is even a possibility?

-Bryan Gilles
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Bryan, there has been a lot written about using cats in a magic act. Here is a link to a post regarding a cat used in my show and how to train. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4606207 Checkout the entire post for more information and links to other magicians who use cats. I love the Bengals, too. I really want one someday.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I read all the info regarding cats; however, I wasn't sure if anyone is using a specific breed called "Bengals". Basically, Bengal Cats are a breed of domestic cat that mirrors the beauty of spotted wild-cats and yet makes a great house-pet. In fact, the very first Bengals were created by out-crossing domestic cats with small native spotted-cats, called Asian Leopard Cats. I was wondering if anyone works with these and how similar these are to a regular house cat...

I live in Northern California and would think that many people living here haven't seen these yet! I bet they would be a beautiful addition to my show. They have a very "wild" look to them... I bet people would mistake it as a wild-cat!

I gave the wrong link earlier, check out http://www.bengalcat.net to see these cats...

Any thoughts?

Bryan Gilles
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

I think you should contact a breeder and ask them pertinent questions regarding temperament. Different breeds of cats do have different temperaments. My cat is a white Turkish angora, but so much had to do with the way he was trained from birth. It is the old nature/nurture thing.

I would think if a person could train huge tigers, then smaller cats (including wild-related cats like the Bengal) could be trained. A house cat is not that far away from a big cat. A sweet lap-cat can get lost and give birth to totally feral kittens if in a wild environment. Those six-week old kittens can eat-you-up if you do not pet them and play with them. Just ask any animal control officer.

If you do find out more about the temperament, let me know. I would certainly be interested.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I'll definitely let you know... I should be meeting up with a local breeder at some point this week to play with some kittens...

I can't wait!!!

-Bryan Gilles
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Super, Bryan! Can't wait to hear. I have secretly been wanting one of these beautiful cats since I first saw them. Let us know!! Send photos!!
Doug Henning
Norrabmagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Norrabmagic
I have a Bengal. Its a family pet. They act just like a regular house cat, except for a few eccentricities. Many Bengals like water, they tend to walk with their tails down like a larger cat would, and they are very smart. My Bengal loves attention but only when it feels like it. Getting it to hold still in a load chamber is very unlikely. maybe with some sort of intense training regiment. However, most audience members will just think it is a regular cat from stage. Even the biggest and most ferocious looking Bengals pretty much look like house cats. You may want to look into a breed called "Savannah" they are quite a bit larger than a Bengal, and they have the leopard spots, but still can be kept like a house cat. good luck!
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I use your animal shelter orange tabies. Our little guy Lionel looks like a Lion. Kinda cool.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Smile Very cool, indeed. Lionel- how appropriate. Smile
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

The Serval cats and the Savannah cats are amazing!
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bengal Cats? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL