The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Favorites? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-07-04 18:42, Julie wrote:
Further Than That by J.W. Sarles published in the original Pallbearers Review and many other places (with minor "improvements" IMO).

It is easy to do, easy to set-up and incorporates at least 3 climaxes; appears to require a lot more skill than it actually does; and possibly most important, those fortunate enough to see you perform will really enjoy it!

I believe Further Than That should be credited to Stewart James. A real thinker in the magic field.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
Jim Steinmeyer's Lie Detector principle - powerful...self working!

David Regal has a couple of nice takes on this in his first video series.

Kevin
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 22:48, phil in KC wrote:
Steve Fearson presented a simple mind-reading effect on a video (can't remember the name of the effect or the video!?!) that gets a big reaction. Give the volunteer the four aces, have them mix the cards, then pick one out and put it down on the table. The other aces are placed on top of them, and then the volunteer picks up the aces and mixes them again. The mentalist finally takes the cards, and turns them over one by one until the volunteer's ace is reached. Simple and direct, as long as you motivate the separation of the selected card and then adding the other aces again.

-Phil in KC

Isn't this "Fearson's Aces?" It used to be available free as a PDF file from Download Magic, Fearson's site, and he encouraged people to give it away. If anyone would like it and has trouble finding it, I could provide it by email.
Rossolim0z
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Rossolim0z
Overkill is by far the best self worker ever
MKmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MKmagic
My vote goes for invisible deck. It is a great effect that can be done without a table, and it is easy to reset.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I have two self-workers that I love that are based on the same principle. They were told to me by a good friend so I cannot give any credits, sorry. Here is one of them.

A spectator gets the pack, shuffles, cuts the deck into 5 - 7 packs. Chooses one pack. Looks at the card and choose the one that jumps into his eye ;-). Then shuffles this pack again. Deals the cards of this pack one by one open on the table to keep in mind on which position his chosen card lies. The magician looks (nearly the whole time) away ;-). Spectator turns over this pack, gathers the other packs on the bottom or the top of each other and cuts the deck after all.

Now the magician looks through the cards, pick out a card and ask the spectator, if he wants to see magic or a miracle. No matter what he says the magician puts the card back into the deck and asks for the number of the position the spectator had in mind. He let count the cards of the pack and the spectator turns over the card at the given position to see that it is his.

Very easy, I really like it. It seems to be so fair. ;-)

Perhaps someone know where it was written down?

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Sounds like Devastation from Geoff William's Miracles from Mortals set. It's a killer piece!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Using a special deck my favorite is "Brainwave."

I forgot the name of the trick when the spectator makes 3 heaps of cards. Then the magician names the top card of each heap.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 03:47, Card-Shark wrote:
I have two self-workers that I love that are based on the same principle. They were told to me by a good friend so I cannot give any credits, sorry. Here is one of them.

A spectator gets the pack, shuffles, cuts the deck into 5 - 7 packs. Chooses one pack. Looks at the card and choose the one that jumps into his eye ;-). Then shuffles this pack again. Deals the cards of this pack one by one open on the table to keep in mind on which position his chosen card lies. The magician looks (nearly the whole time) away ;-). Spectator turns over this pack, gathers the other packs on the bottom or the top of each other and cuts the deck after all.

Now the magician looks through the cards, pick out a card and ask the spectator, if he wants to see magic or a miracle. No matter what he says the magician puts the card back into the deck and asks for the number of the position the spectator had in mind. He let count the cards of the pack and the spectator turns over the card at the given position to see that it is his.

Very easy, I really like it. It seems to be so fair. ;-)

Perhaps someone know where it was written down?

Christian

I have seen that trick on magicvideodepot.com.
Guy calls it O.F.M (Only For Magicians) and I figured it out after watching few times. Method is so incredibly simple, so simple that I sometimes forget I even know this trick. Here is the link, so check if that's the one you were talking about: http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=8597
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Just watched the video. It is Devistation from Geoff William's Miracles from Mortals. A fantastic trick which I use all the time.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Just watched the video. It is Devistation from Geoff William's Miracles from Mortals. A fantastic trick which I use all the time.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2006-11-01 10:02, tgplano wrote:

Thanks for the name.
Can you tell which patter he uses in this trick because I didn't really like the patter of the guy from magicvideodepot at the end? Saying; I can't find your card, but let's see if maybe I can cut to your card, or no even better just tell me the number you're thinking of etc. just isn't convincing to me.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
He goes through the cards as in the video and pulls one out and says, "Would you like to see a good trick or a great trick?" When they answer "Great trick" he picks up the card on the table and inserts it in the deck and says, "Well we won't need this then." and has them count as in the DVD. If they say, "Good trick". He says, "No, you deserve a great trick" and picks up the card as above.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
There are so many I like, but my current favorite is "Insured Prediction" from Card College Volume 5. It is in the chapter on Mental Effects. The basic idea (for those who don't own Card College Volume 5) is this: A deck is shuffled by a spectator. Magician takes the pack and removes two "insurance cards" just in case, because "this experiment is extremely difficult." Magician takes spectator through a very fair procedure for choosing a thought-of card (the card never leaves the deck). Spectator then fully shuffles the entire deck. Magician attempts to divine spectators thought-of card, looking through the pack and placing it down on table. It proves to be the wrong card. Spectator turns up insurance cards and one has the same value, the other the same suit as spectator's thought-of card. As a kicker, spectator adds the values of the insurance cards and counts down that many cards in the deck... there he finds his thought-of card despite the fact that he himself shuffled the deck.

This is a great trick. If you don't like the selection procedure, a simple Hindu shuffle force will do the exact same thing. This is one of those hidden gems that I stumbled upon just recently and it is now one of my favorite tricks to perform.
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
Iv'e done extensive research on self-working (semi-automatic) card tricks as I really enjoy performing them. My current favorite that I perform all the time are:

Power of Poker by John Bannon (Dear Mr. Fantasty)
Final Verdict by John Bannon (Dear Mr. Fantasty)
Eye of the Stonehendge by Lennart Green (Green Magic Lite)
Shuffleboard by Simon Aronson
Observation Test by Nick Trost ( The Card Magic of Nick Trost)
Dead Reckoning by John Bannon (Dear Mr. Fantasty)

Cheers,

Ron
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Guys,

One of my favourites has to be "Do As I Do" Two borrowed decks - and you're off and running!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Favorites? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL