The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Shy Rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I have had my rabbit for over a month now and he is still very shy around me. I think it may be that I have a very enthusiastic dog, but still. Are there any ways to get my rabbit more comfortable to the point of actually liking me? I am very nice to him and pet him softly.

Let me know,
Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Rabbits are known to die of fright because of dogs. So as long as the dog is around he will be fearful.

You need quality time with the rabbit each day, while watching TV, have the rabbit on you lap with a towel under him. The more he is with you the more he will feel comfortable with you.
Dennis Michael
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
That's the problem though. I have tried putting him on my lap while watching TV, but he only tries to jump off.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Handle, not just pet him, and scratch the rabbit at the bridge of the nose as he sits in your lap.

Give him a little time. A month is a bit short a time.

Bob
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
There's a very good article called "Winning Over a Shy Bunny" here - http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/shybun.html

Be sure to have him neutered. Not only does it prevent some diseases, it will make him more docile as he grows.

Best
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Great link, I'm already seeing progress; thanks!

www.gideonsylvan.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Gideon, I also have a dog. A small Scottish Terrier, the kind that loves to go hunting for rabbits! My two bunnies are only starting to get used to him, and I have had them for about two years! The link given by Michael J. is excellent and full of good advice. I spend a lot of time every day with only my bunnies around. They are on my desk while I type on the computer (It is amazing how much fun it can be to try and type with a bunny on the keyboard, trying to nuzzle with you...). You have to let them come to you and get used to you. When I go upstairs where the dog is, I first make sure that the dog has had a really good run outside, and is quite tired. This makes him less interested in playing with the rabbit. The rabbit (I bring them up one at a time... not both...) is still not very impressed with his canine friend, but at least they do put nose against nose a little, and the bunny will stay on my lap while the dog sleeps at my feet. But this takes time. I have one of the two bunnies who will actually jump from my lap and lie down back to back with the dog! Didn't happen overnight though, and like I said, make sure the dog is nice and tired out!

Well, that is all I have to say right now. You have a lot of work in front of you! Good luck!

Louis Jutras
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

Bunnies like treats just as much as dogs do too. I've never seen a bunny not go crazy over "craisons", they are dried cranberries (much like raisons). Give it a try and good luck!

Chrystal
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
It's all a matter of time. In my opinion it takes months of working with your rabbit. Always pick him up, not just pet him. You want him to know that he can enjoy being loved on by you, and doesn't have to worry about anything. love on him standing up, he'll soon find comfort in your arms and won't chance taking a plunge that high! I think it just takes time. Also, always love on him a little when you give him a treat. That way, he'll connect loving and treats and know they're positive reinforcement.

Best Wishes,
Kevin
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
These are all good tips and I read the link http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/shybun.html
one thing I will be careful about is hand-feeding them treats- I did this before when I got my first rabbit and I think it made him think it was OK to eat from my hand, which in turn developed to its OK to bite the hand.

So carefully hand feeding it.
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Shy Rabbit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL