The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mozart
View Profile
New user
Rochester, MN
80 Posts

Profile of Mozart
You're an entertainer. No one wants to see a fake psychic.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 11:39, McCritical wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 08:41, entity wrote:
Actors don't go about after the performance still pretending to be Witches or Lions or Lear.

Not if they don't want to be typecast.

What seems to be more common is 40 year old rock stars pretending to be teenagers, Kabbalists, and blue collar workers; models pretending to be thespians, dieticians, and singers; and movie stars pretending to be "ordinary Joes" and political scientists.

True. It is also true that many perfomers (musicians, for example), are always
"on" in public. The older among the board will remember it wasn't until the 1980's that KISS appeared in public without make-up. I did use an acting example of how performances are not constrained by truth and lies but equating stage play costumes with a magician's persona is a really big stretch.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hey everyone thanks again for all the replies! The show is tomorrow night(Dad will be there Smile),Im giving out ten dvd's of this performance(my way of saying thanks!)There are a few left so if your interested pm me your address,if you do want one please critique the performance and be brutally honest!To be critiqued by full time pro's and peers could be absolutely gold!Thanks again! Smile

Pete
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Thanks Pete!
I already PMed you my address
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 12:13, Mozart wrote:
You're an entertainer. No one wants to see a fake psychic.

Pretending to be psychic, fake or otherwise, is not the only way to be a successful Mentalist. See Chan Canasta, Derren Brown, Banachek.

- entity
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have performed for aliens. They have been watching all of us for years you know.

C
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Has any of this discussion changed your mind? I suspect that you raised the question because you are not completely comfortable with your presentation.

You might be able to save yourself quite nicely now. If your show is going well, it would be a nice touch for you to admit in interviews that you exaggerated your history to get bookings--much as you charmingly did above. The punch line, of course, is that now that you are very successful, your show speaks for itself and you no longer need to hustle. I suspect that it would play very well, and would please both your dad and you.

Good luck.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Or possibly John he was looking for confirmation to grow into the part aka be his own man.

We all owe A debt to our parents but to be really grown adults we must find and decide upon our own way.

My opinion of course and I would never expect any one else to stand apart from their family in order to prove themselfs.

I always have but we all choose our own path.
You yours me mine and in truth neither may be right for any one but us.

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hey Magnus Smile Good point I suppose deep down I questioned my actions but I have done quite a bit of thought on the subject and Im happy with my course of action.The show is an sell out (230 people) The entertainment manager at the venue rang me this morning saying that his phone has been off the hook with enquires about ticket avalibility so this tells me both radio and newspaper features worked.Thanks for your thoughts and wishing me luck!

Thanks for your interest in the dvd,10 dvd's will be send to 10 different locations in the world.Cant wait to hear honest criticism of me,my show and performance,could be pure gold!Thanks again for your interest and thoughts! Smile

Pete
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
There are many kinds of lying, and many kinds of deception. In everyday life, we usually abide by established social codes which say 'lying is wrong'. In the entertainment industry, there is the category of 'fiction', which is a special kind of lie - a made up story intended to divert, amuse, entertain, provoke or to explore the human condition. 'Fiction' is morally acceptable because it is labelled as such, and the participant, observer or consumer understands the deal.

To lie or to deceive is not inherently wrong. It all depends on the intentions and motivations of the person doing the lying and deceving, and the consequences of the lie. If people go away happy and entertained, with no malign effect upon their lives, then no harm done. If they go away believing in things that aren't true, then there MAY be some malign consequences. For example, they MAY be more prone than they were before to the insidious lies of con artists who charge hundreds of dollars to 'lift curses' and so forth, which we all agree is just plain wrong and reprehensible.

To what extent should the performer own the responsibility to at least TRY to ensure there are no malign consequences? To what extent is the performer entitled to say that it is for everyone who sees his show to make up their own mind, and if they happen to end up paying some pseduo-witch to 'lift a curse' then that's their own lookout, they have to take responsibility for their own lives? These are matters of debate without fixed answers, and ultimately come down to one's personal sense of moral responsibility.

My own view has always been that I can do as I wish, so long as the audience and I are on the same page: they know I'm deceiving them, and they know why - because it's great entertainment and it also makes them think. And to the best of my knowledge there are not, and never have been, any malign consequences. The ONLY way in which I MIGHT change someone's outlook on life is to make them more aware of the options and possibilities open to them, and the fact that the human mind can accomplish extraordinary things, without invoking any mention of psychic or paranormal ability. I think this is very benign and postive. And people tell me they like it.

It may sound a bit pious and noble, but at the end of the day I think a good acid test is this... thnk about how you perform and what messages you send out, and think about the long-term. Think about performing for many, many years to thousands of people. Ask yourself this: will the net effect be positive or negative? When you're gone, will the world be a little bit better or a little bit worse for having had you around? This will tell you all you need to know.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Ian, you presume many things starting with the lifting of a curse.
In all actuality it could and has done many immense good.
I would assume from your post you have some sort of evidence to the contrary. Especially since it runs down the belief system of many of thousands of people and insinuates the readers of the post would be in agreement with such tripe. Just my opinion of course.

I may be yanking your leg but you may need it but also you may not.
(Just my own wanting to know what guys like you think)

I too like to have my audience on the same page but I often decide to turn the page and not tell them.

But of course I view what I do as art and put forth the options and my own view of the world.
What do you consider it is that you do?

I am not pulling legs and playing about here.
Really what is it you think you do?

Is it art? Is it playing savior of the ignorant? Is it informer of the lost?

I am not poise in any way as you may know but I do think your final question is wrong. And inferred meaning of said answer.

We all benefit from the impact of others.
I have from you in truth and from the man Jesus.
We should inspire our audiences to think and consider.

If we do that we are successful in my heathen opinion only of course.

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hey there Smile

Just back from the show tonight and got a huge standing ovation at the end Smile It was packed out.Got a repeat booking as well as three new bookings at other venue's due to the show SmileThe guys I responded to via private message please send on your address so I can send out the dvd of it.Some things I feel need that bit more polishing but all in all I'm very happy with how it went.It's 4 30am and I so need to sleep! Smile

THanks,
Pete
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Congratulations, Pete!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Thanks John! Smile
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Maddened
Congratulations Pete for a successful performance! Now I can't wait to see your performance for myself. Smile
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Thanks Maddened! Smile The dvd's should be out the door later this week! They are working on the final touches (editing etc)Looking forward to hearing all your opinions on the performance,few things to work on but overall very pleased! Smile
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2006-07-05 15:33, Eric Leclerc wrote:
What a good question....

I completely see where you are coming from. I don't think your dad is on the right wave length with all of this. Doesn't he want to see his son succeed? I wouldnt say you are lying, you are simply stating facts that can be viewed both ways.

Regarding your rhetorical question, "Doesn't he want to see his son succeed?" perhaps he does want to see his son succeed ... as a person of integrity.

In reference to your statement, "I wouldnt say you are lying, you are simply stating facts that can be viewed both ways" I guess it depends on what the meaning of "are" is.

You're really NOT Bill Clinton, right? Smile
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 12:46, MentaThought wrote:

Regarding your rhetorical question, "Doesn't he want to see his son succeed?" perhaps he does want to see his son succeed ... as a person of integrity.

In reference to your statement, "I wouldnt say you are lying, you are simply stating facts that can be viewed both ways" I guess it depends on what the meaning of "are" is.

You're really NOT Bill Clinton, right? Smile

I'm not sure I see the link between "lying" and integrity, so I would really appreciate it if you spell it out. For example, if a father tells his children that there is a Santa Claus or Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy, is he automatically lacking integrity? Or does it depend on what the meaning of integrity is?

-Carlos
Cognite tute
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 17:11, Carlos the Great wrote:
[I'm not sure I see the link between "lying" and integrity, so I would really appreciate it if you spell it out. For example, if a father tells his children that there is a Santa Claus or Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy, is he automatically lacking integrity? Or does it depend on what the meaning of integrity is?
-Carlos

"I'm not sure I see the link between 'lying' and integrity" ... you're kidding, right?
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL