The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Glass thickness for Cesaral Melting Point (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I'm going to the glass store this week to buy a piece of glass to practice this effect. Is there a recommended thickness? And on a related note, has anyone run into problems with glass coffee tables that were too thick for the trick to work? Thanks in advance for any help.
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
I don't own this trick, but I've seen it done before. I was at my house when a buddy of mine did it. He did it on my desk(a glass desk) which is roughly 1 cm thick.I don't know if this is any help to you, but I tried.

Hope it helps,
Chrix
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I ended up buying a 3/16" plate of glass for practicing, and it works well. I think the minimum thickness for a glass coffee table top, though, is about 1/4", and some are much thicker. The supplied coin worked fine with a 1/4" thick top, but the gimmick had problems holding my steel core quarter at that thickness. Since I don't want to use a foreign coin, a steel pennies might be the solution.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Will plexiglass work? Much safer...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
That's a good point, Joseph. I tried it on a piece of plexiglass at the glass store, and it worked, but I didn't really think about it. That would have been a better choice for storing and practicing around the house. But ultimately, I think this trick will be most effective in impromptu situations when you happen to run across a glass coffee table in the hotel bar, or at someone's house, etc.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Patio tables are also great, just be careful as they sometimes have textured surfaces that can talk.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
Have this and do have difficulty with the coin hang from its edge. The glass is about 3/8" ....hum....ideas?

Thanks,
Joe
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
OK. Here is my $0.02!

One can not make an assumption regarding the thickness of the glass. In one case a 1/2 inch thick glass would be perfect for the trick to work. And in another, a 3/8 inch thick glass may prove to be unsuitable for the same coins and gimmick. This is so due to one primary (besides other) reason - The LEAD content of the glass. The higher the lead content the thinner should be the glass (and vise-versa) for the trick to work.

Hence before one is all set to perform, make sure you have a trial run on that particular glass table. This is so because one doesn't know the lead content as well as hardness factor of the available glass.

While buying a glass top, make sure you take your coins & gimmick along so as to test for the most suitable glass thickness.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
Thanks for the suggestions and info on Lead content of the glass.

Regards,
Joe
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
My pleasure, Joe!

Glad to know that the info was useful.

Kind regards,

Narendra

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
ofrmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of ofrmagic
Actually there is a version that you can do wich it doesnot matter how thick the glass is.
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I carry this trick everywhere and I have never ran into a problem with glass thickness. Every glass table I have every come across seems to work. My main suggestion is to get rid of the Euro coins and replace them with steel core quarters. The instructions outline a method of treating the new coins. In the US, any sort of foreign coin for this effect will scream fake.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Glass thickness for Cesaral Melting Point (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL