The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jeff McBride's 'Commando' Philosophy? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This old thread has really inspired me. I'm in the process of creating a commando act. The thread has sparked my creative process even more.
There was a time when my show took up the back of my van, and I had a crew to help me set up and tear down. 

As I grew older I wanted a change. A MAJOR change, in fact. Truly it came out of necessity. I began to put together a show that can be worked from a briefcase, but as stated in another thread, my separation from my wife ended with her getting my show, and I got the shaft.
So I'm starting from square one again. Putting together a new act. 

I'm scouring threads here on the Café, trying to glean all the information my poor brain can hold. Seeking advice and tips wherever I can get it. 

I'd like to ask if anybody knows how the McBride act compares to the Dan Harlan "Packs Small Plays Big" show? What are the good points that each has to offer? Is one necessarily better than the other?

Any one here can offer advice when putting together my own commando act?

Please bear in mind, as I said, that I'm starting again from scratch. Trying to pull together whatever meager resources I have to come up with something "brilliant". 
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I had this confused with Performing Commando. Got it now.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
HA! I just picked up a "new" term (COMMANDO ACT) Well,it's new to me, anyway!

This morni;ng I "happened" on Daffy Dougs's post (another forum) about COMMANDO ACT.

HEKK! I've been doing that for much of my life, and I'm 82.

Working the "knowledge boxes on the kerosene lamp circuit" for about 45 years, I HAD to work what is being called, I learned this AM, a COMMANDO ACT.

Of course, it began, when I was a teenager, working in a carny side show. During my Navy years, I worked out of a leather shaving kit (about the size of a cigar box). I did whatever date came along. I made enough money, so that I could send my Navy paychecks to my bank back home. (I never cashed a paycheck for almost four years!)

When I started doing school shows, I knew what to expect on the road and planned accordingly. I started out, the first year, with a slightly larger (prop wise) show. I had a few "set up" props, that were soon red lighted, My hour show now carries in a 13" x 20" x 8" case, and I can do it anywhere for anybody.

I'm writing up the "story of the evolution" in my book.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'd love to read that book, Dick.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dick.....just to clarify do not get this term "commando" confused with the other use of the term today. It refers to going without underwear!.

It is amazing how the old stuff is renamed and and everything it is new.

Your remarks on school shows reminded me why Neil Foster did is 1 hour "concert of magic". It was all the stuff that he could never do in school shows that was too cumbersome to troupe with.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Jeff McBride came up with the use of the word for packs small plays big type applications.

I looked to Webster for a clue to the meaning behind what he was thinking, and the closest I could discern was : "b : a raiding expedition
2 a : a military unit trained and organized as shock troops especially for hit-and-run raids into enemy territory"

I think it was the hit and run aspect that Jeff was thinking about. You hit it (do the show) and in no time you are packed up and ready to run (to your next gig). 
That's the only thing I can figure.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2007, Mike Ching wrote:
The most famous street acts are diverse and as hard-to-pigeonhole as can be. They are hard to describe in a single sentance (try a quick description of THE DED BOB SHOW and see what I mean).

Insults audience using puppet, gets huge hats.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
RICHARD (THE FLOWER MAKER!)>>>

"Ubi O ubi est mea sub ubi!!!" (doggerel Latin from my Seminary days! -- Where O where is my underwear?)

"It" ranks with "Caesar adsum jam forte" (Caesar had some jam for tea). Oy! This wrinkled old mind is stuffed with that "stuff"!

Yes, Neil only did a couple of tours in schools (I think ANTRIM was one of the bureaus. ANTRIM was called TANTRUM by the talent that toured for that office--ask Tom Ogden. I talked with the manager, but decided not to work that territory.

I remember well, Neil's Concert. IMHO, it was great! I would have loved to do a similar "concert", but, alas,(IMHO) there isn't much of a market for it today.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Related article from Jeff's archives

http://itricks.com/news/2010/08/17186/
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
The ABC's of an act is quite something to strive for! That list is replete with every possible desideratum that any magic act could possibly hope for! Lucky is the audience that gets to view such an act!

Realistically, I don't think I will ever humanly achieve A-Z in one act. But as in Fitzgee's list of audience appeals, I think it blatantly obvious that the MORE of these you  can pack into one act, the more UNIVERSAL appeal the act will have. In fact, he might have well named that article "Creating Universal Audience Appeal".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jeff McBride's 'Commando' Philosophy? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL