The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Australian tricked padlocks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I got 4 of those wonderful padlocks, I was just wondering if it was safe to use underwater (as opposed to the sight unseen combination padlock) ...
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Got an answer from cannon's, yes it can be used underwater.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Some free advise. When you use these gimmicked locks underwater, make sure they pop open every time right before the show.

I have used a quick pop lock before, and the salt got to it sooo much it would not open without a key.

So check them Smile
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I will not use those in salt water, just in pools.

BTW there is a 33m diving pool not far away from where I live :
http://www.nemo33.com/index_fr/gallery2.html

I should be able to come up with an idea ... Smile
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
This post is a good example of my comment about there not being an escape artist alive who when involved in a dangerous escape does not hedge their bets.

Steve
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
The 33 meters pool thing was more of a joke, I have never performed any underwater escape yet (exept in my bath), but still I think this kind of place has a HUGE potential for escape artists...

edit Smilebtw, wat does "hedge their bets" means ? sorry I am belgian)
edit2 : (I think I understood the meaning Smile )
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Hi there.

Just a quick point about pools (having worked in a leisure centre for a LONG time). They are not as ¡¥controlled¡¦ as people think. The conditions very day in day out. Not only temperature but also pH and free chlorine levels. Also the salt (not JUST sodium chloride as in sea salt but in terms of acid + bas = salt + water - neutralizing process to keep pool "clean") varies from day to day.

I would mirror what was said earlier check they work in the pool the day of the escape. Take it further subject them to the conditions they will be in for the escape (if you can) IE depth and time in water. Depth affects the pressure = changes in conditions. Not a major effect BUT it depend show deep you want to go.

Have a back up plan (like I need to say that) in case they don¡¦t work in the conditions!

Also watch out for the temperature. I once (in my younger more foolish days) dived in to a pool after being in a sauna and blacked out for a fraction of a second ¡V not a nice experience and I was just swimming it really threw me!

I have done a chain escape in a 2 meter pool. It was great fun! Really looked good (no gimmicked locks) and the lifesaving club was on (my back up plan not the best but hey).

One last thing (like I need to say it) don¡¦t forget to clean out the padlocks afterwards. I would use distilled water (like for irons etc) and then dry them in an oven at a really LOW temperature (just like cooking meringues if you need a recipe askƒº)
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
MMMMM, my two favourite things finally coming together.

Meringues and escapes, who'd have thought it could happen???
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Perhaps we could meet up and build you a 20 foot meringue hollow out a cavity for you then put you in it fill with cream and put the other half on. May be put it in one of those boxes you used to get at birds bakery with the clear plastic window. Seal it with duct tape and you have a new escape. I BET NO ONE HAS DONE THAT YET! (I just know someone is going to prove me wrong)

Just out of interest how would you tackle it? East your way out? Swim through the cream? Its certainly one of the more surreal escape ideas!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Well you couldn't waste it, so I guess I'd have to eat my way out Smile

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Australian tricked padlocks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL