The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » F.I.S.M. Comedy Magic Acts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Well,

I just got the news from a magician in Spain that the the FISM is not recognizing Comedy Magic as a competiton category for next year's event. The FISM argument is that comedy magic is not a type of magic, just a way of presentation.

I am interested in what your thoughts are on this issue. Who can tell Tomsoni, or Michael Finney that what they do is not a type of magic, just a way to present it?

Definitely not me.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Isn't most magic presentation? It's the performer who makes the magic, not the cards or any other prop.
I have seen Michael Finney and think he is just fantastic. Smile
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Of course, every kind of magic depends on how you present the effect. A card effect, could be a great mentalism effect in Max MAven´s hands, or a great comedy effect in Kevin Williamson´s, or a gambling demostration in Lennart Green´s. So if FISM won´t recognize Comedy Magic at the next event, I think they will make a mistake.

By the way Carlos, who gives you this news? Because here in Magic Café, and in other USA web pages, I couldn´t read anything about that.

Un abrazo Carlos.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Pablo,

The news was given to me by one of the contestants in the Comedy category. You can read all about it in La Dama inQuieta instead of lurking everywhere else. Smile

Cheers, Smile
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Thank you for the info Carlos. I will check it.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Carlos, there is no such information in the official page of FISM: http://www.fism2003.com
so the information may be a mistake...
Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
ebyrne
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of ebyrne
Carlos,
According to fism2003, I believe comedy magic will be allowed for acts that have registered for fism 2003 already (which means everyone since registration is now closed). However, per the new fism rules, it will not be recognized at 2006. I agree that this is unexpected, but I tend to agree with the committee. Certainly they are not saying that it is not magic. They are simply asking that comedy magicians enter their appropriate categories and compete with them. While this certainly places them at a disadvantage, I would expect that the judges committee would be likely to give out a "best comedy act" award across all categories. Just speculation on my part. Take care,

Gene Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » F.I.S.M. Comedy Magic Acts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL